What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pathetic NRL Crowds Continue in Melbourne

Parraren

Bench
One State of Origin match & one Test Match each year in Melbourne. I don't think that would be too hard to organise would it?

Did we actually try this one year? I know we played a SOO match there but was it only one season? I don't think we've played any Test Matches in VIC though have we?

I honestly can't believe the NRL doesn't try this. We need to advertise the game better in VIC and there's no better way to do it than with the absolute best players we've got. SOO is a spectacle unparalleled by any other single sport match in the country!

Anonymous

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
What sport are Melbourne good at anyway?

Cricket?

Well, that's a state team, not Melbourne.

Basketball?

Kings v Razorbacks GF...... No joy there.

AFL?

Lions have won 3 in a row, 6 teams from outside Melb in the 8 last season... No joy there.

Union?

No team.

NRL?

Made the semis and did quite well in 2003.

So Melbourne people flock to sport in droves to watch losers basically. The only time they watch a winner is when an interstate side plays away in Melbourne. Even their game, the one they invented, they're crap at.

I wonder how the Netball went this year.....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:lol:

Dani

Immortal
nospam49 said:
Only a simple minded idiot would claim the NRL should dump the Storm.

The Storm are not a six month project. One day the NRL WILL grow to have a team in ever capital city.

Right now NSW, VIC, QLD and the ACT are covered. Why would you want to cut that back?

Melbourne is a city of what....around 3 million. Its the second biggest media market in Australia.

The Storm get NO help from the NRL is way of promotion. They are in their very early stages of development down there.

Do you think the NRL spends the same amount fo TV promotion that the NSWRU and AFL does in Sydney?

NO.

The NRL need to become more accessable to Melbourne and its media. teams playing down there should spend a day helping to promote the game.

The NRL should hold regular functions down there and I cant for the life of my understand why we are not playing Origin football down there. It makes alot of sense....one game in NSW, one in QLD....the decider in Melbourne.

If its the decider of the series you get a sellout. If its a dead rubber you get a big crowd and your promoting the game.

The Storm have been left like a shag on a rock. New Ltd have done a great job funding the team and securing its future. Its about the NRL stood up and did its job because if you pull outs of Melbourne now you can NEVER, EVER go back!

you are my hero

Bengal

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
I don't know how Melbournians can see any sport with their heads stuck so far up their own arses...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Their heads are way up their arses thanks to their media.
If we can infultrate their media ranks we'll be away laughing.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Beaussie, you are a braindead prat. And most Australians despise that aerial ping pong/Victorian ballet crap. Boring and a disgrace to Australian culture. Thank God most overseas people rather come to Sydney first, otherwise they'd all get the totally wrong impression!

DIEHARD

----
Keep the Melbourne Storm. About a test match in Melbourne. There was one there in 1990. I believe we should make a huge push in Melbourne in a few years, SOO game, a test, coupled with a new tv contract with national coverage, we can really make a go of it. For now let's throw our support behind the Storm, because someone said, its a long term project not a 6 month job.

They got a fantastic fanbase to build off and the poor bastards have state of the art facilities for 1956. Compare the length of time the Swans and Lions/Bears have been around, compare their crowds and their results and most of all compare the media coverage between the Storm in Melbourne and Bears/Lions in Brisbane and Swans in Sydney and the level of government funding and support between Storm v Bears/Lions and Swans.

And rest easy, stick with it. GO THE MIGHTY MELBOURNE STORM!

Le Rouge

Juniors
Yeah give em a test match down there to show them there a other sports where you can actually represent your country in. :p

DIEHARD

----
They aren't the sporting capital of Australia, they are the AFL captial of Australia and even that is debatable atm. They got the Melbourne Cup and they stole the Grand Prix from Adelaide but they have their head up their arses when it comes to anything but AFL. If they took on board the Storm there may be hope for them.

But until then they have no right to that mocker!

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
One thing you're forgetting is that its too expensive to watch a game at Olympic Park, I mean who wants to spend 20-30 bucks to watch a game at that sh*tthole.

Since when has a ticket been 20-30 bucks Dick?

$17.50 for a general admin ticket and it's been the same price for 4 years.

On the other hand your poor excuse of a club take your money for a pre-booked seat and if you aren't at the gorund to pick up your ticket 15 minutes before the game you have to buy another one.

SOUTHERNSAINT said:
I don't know how Melbournians can see any sport with their heads stuck so far up their own arses...

Bengal said:
Their heads are way up their arses thanks to their media.
If we can infultrate their media ranks we'll be away laughing.

Some of us Melbournains (9000+) don't have our heads up our arse as we are to busy trying to promote OUR game. Unlike many other 'league' supporters.

Lets remember one thing. THE NRL WANT REP FOOTY DOWN HERE.

It's those pratts (I think they are the AFL's love childern) at the ARL, QRL and NSWRL.

Supporters and the Storm have tryied since 1998 to bring down both Storms and the Broncos feeder clubs to play in Melbourne before both teams meet but the QRL wont allow it. The ARL and the NSWRL wont help to cover some of the costs.

Also remember for our SOO we DONT have to give out free tickets. Down here you can get free tickets to the AFL every week if you know who to speak too.

dimitri

First Grade
yep

THE STORM ARE MILES AHEAD OF WHERE THE SWANS AND BEARS WERE IN THE SAME STAGE OF THEIR DEVELOPMENT

THE STORM MUST STAY

10,000 EVERY WEEK

IS BETTER THAN 1 OR 2 SYDNEY CLUBS MOST GAMES

once they get more exposure and people start getting behind them like the swans they will be much much more successful

and one day will become like the bears

Bengal

Juniors
Stormwarning I’m referring to the media cocooning of AFL. Their protection of their beloved sport AFL.

The average Melbournite receives very little media exposure of League and other non AFL sports thanks to Melbourne’s over protective media. That is why if we can infiltrate Melbourne’s media ranks I believe we’ll be away laughing

Nothing to do with the hard working league folk of Melbourne.

tdcockers

Juniors
i have saved a mike coleman article from last year in pdf format addressing the siege mentality of victorians, if anyone would like to host it and link to it, PM me and i will send it to you.

i did post it on these forums when it came out, but i cant be bothered finding the thread right now

hgfds

Juniors
A few weeks back there was an article in the age stating that the arl was going to play a test in melb prior to rlwc matches in melb,should be something different for vics as they get few international matches,lets hope the lions are in melb for 2007 as they will bring a lot of fans with them.

Le Rouge

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
copy and paste it,

its an absolutely great read, so true too.

ah ok cheers got it ;-)

A great piece of writing ...It's so the bloody truth!

The nerve of calling themselves the sporting capital.

Does anyone know what the demonstration sport will be at the Melbourne Commonwealth games if they are having one? It better not be what i think it will be. [-X

ngunity

Juniors
One thing I can say in favour of Victorians: at least they seem to hate Rugby Union too 8)

I think it'd be a terrible tragedy to see the Storm gone from the NRL, they're a strong top 8 contender, with exciting players like Slater and Orford, a decent coach, and home ground ingoals that discourage kicks ;)

I think the NRL's imperatives should be to retain all of it's current footholds e.g. Melbourne, NZ of League while expanding into rich vains of Rugby League fans starved for a team e.g. Gold Coast, Central Coast, and maybe Wellington (if they're as hungry as the CC which is #1 for mine)

Once the NRL puts teams where the people love league, they can push back to Adelaide and WA and be the NRL + NZ and that's what I'd like to see in the next 5-7 years

I don't know that Melbournites will ever relinquish their taste for AFL but lets hope, like the Australian public is moving more and more toward Wine, that they get a taste for Rugby League ~ the best football code.

DIEHARD

----
ngunity said:
I think the NRL's imperatives should be to retain all of it's current footholds e.g. Melbourne, NZ of League while expanding into rich vains of Rugby League fans starved for a team e.g. Gold Coast, Central Coast, and maybe Wellington (if they're as hungry as the CC which is #1 for mine)

Once the NRL puts teams where the people love league, they can push back to Adelaide and WA and be the NRL + NZ and that's what I'd like to see in the next 5-7 years

That is the way to go ngunity. I also believe the Melbourne Storm are capable of becoming a team all Victorians can follow reguardless of AFL club alliance. Everyone's second team. Its great to go to Olympic park and see so many AFl jerseys of all different clubs.