What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pathetic NRL Crowds Continue in Melbourne

iggy plop

First Grade
Beaussie said:
Surely the time has come to realise that the Melbourne Storm can not cut in the second biggest state of Australia. With a population of about 3.5 million, a crowd of 10,000 with no TV coverage is absolutely pathetic.

Most Australians have no time for RL, a bastardised version of RU introduced from England.

We should get rid of the Melbourne basketball teams while we're at it because they can't pull a crowd either. In fact we should get rid of the Vic Bushrangers as well because nobody goes to their games. Get rid of all sporting teams from Melbourne that attract 10,000 or less, so the greedy and so obviously gay AFL can have the whole city to themselves.

Apart from the AFL teams in Melbourne, the next best supported team is THE STORM!!

AFL is TRIPE!!

Beaussie

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
What is wrong with an average of 10,000?

Canterbury only got 8,000 for their last game. Should we close them down too?

What's wrong with 10,000?

Well there was no AFL, NBL, NSL or Cricket to compete with. In a city of 3.5 million with no TV coverage - 10,000 is a shocker for a team that regularly makes finals and won a premiership in its second season.

zulu

Juniors
NBL, NSL and cricket. What crowds do they get in Melbourne out of interest?

Less than 10,000?

Chuck them out?

Mark Rudd

Juniors
I paid $33 for my ticket SW. Of course, I don't stand with the 'common' people.

I sit in comfort. But that's just me.

Stormwarning[c]

Juniors
But Mark that is for a reserved seat on the 50.

Most clubs have around the same deal. $17.50 for general admin. (with a seat if your early enough) isn't to bad to watch the best football code in Australia.

Surandy

Bench
Beaussie said:
Fairleigh Good! said:

Well there was no AFL, NBL, NSL or Cricket to compete with. In a city of 3.5 million with no TV coverage - 10,000 is a shocker for a team that regularly makes finals and won a premiership in its second season.

There was no AFL on last weekend? Damn, how come the Melbourne media was chockas up the back pipe with AFL stories?

Latest news, besides the AFL sex scandals, yet another MELBOURNE AFL club has gone cap in hand to the AFL administration asking for more money just to survive. Were it not for the money the AFL is making from their TV rights and interstate teams then Melbourne would have a lot less AFL teams.

Before AFL moved out of the suburbs and majorly interstate the crowds for a lot of the games was fairly average. 10 to 20 thousand for most non-blockbuster games.

Would Brisbane Lions have won a premiership at all were it not for the generous salary cap concessions they get? How many premierships have the Sydney Swans won?

AFL as an exhibition game at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games in 2006? I don't think so, isn't the rule that at least two countries must play the sport?

The media in Melbourne is extremely AFL-centric, fortunately as the RWC showed, the public themselves are prepared to experience other sports. If they are aware of them. The key, as mentioned earlier is to get decent media coverage and to have a home ground better suited to RL and with better facilities.

Storm is HERE TO STAY!!!

zulu said:
NBL, NSL and cricket. What crowds do they get in Melbourne out of interest?

Less than 10,000?

Chuck them out?

I'm surprised at you Zulu, standing up for a team with no history, no soul, no future and who take all Norths best to play in the Sydney comp.

For all you who don't know, that's what the NRL is, the Sydney comp. Don't tell anyone though.

Le Rouge

Juniors
Surandy said:
There was no AFL on last weekend? Damn, how come the Melbourne media was chockas up the back pipe with AFL stories?

Latest news, besides the AFL sex scandals, yet another MELBOURNE AFL club has gone cap in hand to the AFL administration asking for more money just to survive. Were it not for the money the AFL is making from their TV rights and interstate teams then Melbourne would have a lot less AFL teams.

Before AFL moved out of the suburbs and majorly interstate the crowds for a lot of the games was fairly average. 10 to 20 thousand for most non-blockbuster games.

Would Brisbane Lions have won a premiership at all were it not for the generous salary cap concessions they get? How many premierships have the Sydney Swans won?

AFL as an exhibition game at the Melbourne Commonwealth Games in 2006? I don't think so, isn't the rule that at least two countries must play the sport?

The media in Melbourne is extremely AFL-centric, fortunately as the RWC showed, the public themselves are prepared to experience other sports. If they are aware of them. The key, as mentioned earlier is to get decent media coverage and to have a home ground better suited to RL and with better facilities.

Storm is HERE TO STAY!!!

:clap: well said

Is olympic park the only suitable option for the Storm in Melbourne?
how were their stints at colonial stadium is that a serious option for them?

Surely there must be a rectangular ground in Melbourne suitable for NRL matches with decent facilities and great transport options.
Otherwise they may need to get permission to upgrade Olympic park which could be costly if thats all they can use.

DIEHARD

----
Colonial in my opinion is not for the Storm. Ive been to both and find Olypmic far superior. Olympic just needs money put into it and needs to get right of the track so fans are right into the action. Olympic Park is a joy to go to though.

Surandy

Bench
Le Rouge said:
:clap: well said

Is olympic park the only suitable option for the Storm in Melbourne?
how were their stints at colonial stadium is that a serious option for them?

Surely there must be a rectangular ground in Melbourne suitable for NRL matches with decent facilities and great transport options.
Otherwise they may need to get permission to upgrade Olympic park which could be costly if thats all they can use.

There was money allocated by the previous Vic Govt to upgrade Olympic Park but it was pinched by the Bracks government for the 2006 Commonwealth Games. Instead of upgrading OP the money is being used to rip up part of the MCG to lay an athletic track, just so it can then be put back how it was after the Games finish.

Even if OP is upgraded, that still leaves us too far away from the action what with the athletic track around the playing field. Telstra Dome (aka Colonial) was never a great atmosphere except on the one occasion that they moved the seats in so that the fans were closer to the action. This was done for the Storm vs Broncos game if I remember correctly, and it was excellent. My understanding though, is that there were problems there from a business view point.

The only other sizable venue that might suit is Bob Jane Stadium at Albert Park. This isn't too bad for public transport, I'm told has good parking and has a capacity for about 20k. It's currently the home of South Melbourne Soccer Club.

Le Rouge

Juniors
The Original Eye said:
I'm surprised at you Zulu, standing up for a team with no history, no soul, no future and who take all Norths best to play in the Sydney comp.

For all you who don't know, that's what the NRL is, the Sydney comp. Don't tell anyone though.

Being a huge Norths fan i have no prob with Melbourne in the comp. Sure i was disgruntled about their outing for a bit but got over it, what else am i gonna support AFL or Union :roll: :lol:

If you are disgruntled be disgruntled at the builders of the stadium in the CC or even still those leeches called the MANLY Sea Eagles.

The Storm are the future of league, Winning a Final in thier second season is some history for them. Sure Melbourne the city is a toilet but the Storm are great for League.

here's something you may understand - NRL a Sydney comp BOLLOCKS :p

This simple - minded pom knows more about rugby league in Oz than some Aussies, namely the above. Norths, as in Brisbane Norths.

Go back to training monkeys.

Beaussie

First Grade
Surandy said:
Beaussie said:
Fairleigh Good! said:

More conspiracy theories about the media. :roll:

So pathetic when you realise News Ltd's Herald Sun is the owners of the Storm and is constantly publicising the Storm in Victoria.

The news in Melbourne chockas full of AFL couldn't be based on the fact that AFL is easily the No.1 footy code that sells newspapers now could it?

AuckMel

Bench
Beaussie said:
So pathetic when you realise News Ltd's Herald Sun is the owners of the Storm and is constantly publicising the Storm in Victoria.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JW

Coach
http://www.redandwhiteonline.com/fo...f8c4e652f2f9b7fc469203&postid=40409#post40409

By "Beaussie"

------------------------

Rebecca Wilson & Sunday Telegraph

Anyone notice the the story in the today's Sunday Telegraph in Wilson's gossip coloum regarding a Swans player abusing a City Rail attendant at Circular Quay station? For those of you who haven't seen it, this is what she wrote:

The NRL has copped a bucketing over player behaviour but the Swans aren't all angels. One player abused CityRail staff at Circular Quay last week. "I told you I haven't got a ticket," he shouted. He was politely told he would face a fine if he didn't pay his fare. "You can go and ---- yourselves," he said.

It seems Ms Wilson gets her info from fake emails sent in by RL supporters, namely Choppies on the League Unlimited Forum:

Ms Wilson

I know your a sport/gossip coloumist and I thought that this would interest you
When I got off the Train at Circular Quay with my friend (who is an AFL supporter) spotted someone called **** who plays for the Swans and as we put our tickets in the machine to let us through and walked for a few seconds we heard shouting so we turned round and there was the AFL player saying he had lost his ticket and he got louder causing a bit of a scene and when he was told he would get a fine for not having a ticket he told all the city rail to f*** themselvs

well just thought you would want to know

THAT WAS MY EMAIL TO HER

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/v...caf8178572ee7a3

Will she be making an apology on 110% Tony Squires tomorrow night? Me thinks not :x

---------------------------------

:-({|= :lol:

Beaussie

First Grade
Old news JW that was also posted in the Rebecca Wilson thread here at LU before it was archived :roll:

I now hate Rebecca Wilson too, so it ain't just RL fans that hate her.

nqboy

First Grade
Surandy said:
...The only other sizable venue that might suit is Bob Jane Stadium at Albert Park. This isn't too bad for public transport, I'm told has good parking and has a capacity for about 20k. It's currently the home of South Melbourne Soccer Club.

Why the Storm haven't moved there has always been a mystery to me. Is it up to NRL standard? Storm fans seem to revel in OP's atmosphere, even while they acknowledge the poor viewing facilities due to the running track.

What are the reasons the Storm have chosen OP over BJ?

Beaussie

First Grade
nqboy said:
Surandy said:
...The only other sizable venue that might suit is Bob Jane Stadium at Albert Park. This isn't too bad for public transport, I'm told has good parking and has a capacity for about 20k. It's currently the home of South Melbourne Soccer Club.

Why the Storm haven't moved there has always been a mystery to me. Is it up to NRL standard? Storm fans seem to revel in OP's atmosphere, even while they acknowledge the poor viewing facilities due to the running track.

What are the reasons the Storm have chosen OP over BJ?

Maybe it has something to do with staying in the CBD. I'm not exactly sure where BJ stadium is, but surely it is better to have the Storm play in the sporting precinct of Melbourne.

Olympic Park definately needs a makeover, perhaps with Collingwood now based there the Storm can ask them to help out.

Latest posts