What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patrick Herbert

BLM01

First Grade
Ben Rogers doesn’t just take the cake for worst signing.

He takes it, lights the candles on the cake, and then blows them out with a fart.
I dont know he actually played a couple OK games for us.(1 or 2 at Dragon footy level)
He had a deft kicking game but slow as all...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I dont know he actually played a couple OK games for us.(1 or 2 at Dragon footy level)
He had a deft kicking game but slow as all...
I can’t actually think of a decent thing he did..

Let alone that abomination of a final in 2008..

The only good thing he did in a dragons jersey was taking it off.

possm

Coach
Correct and I will assure you despite media speculation Mary was not involved in recruitment was BS.
Every recruitment officer (Millward) gets told by the coach (Mary) what type / sort of player they are missing and looking for and who they dont see for the future.
Yes Mary might not throw names out there of who to target but when Millward thought he found what he was looking for it would be run past Mary to agree for the contract to be offered.
Mary's focus on the wrong type of players to add or cut to/from our squad was most of the problem....some of Millward's targets and finds that he comes up with and how much to offer to get him whilst balancing the books was the smaller part of the problem

Example. Widdop leaves and put them on a spot. Mary says go find me an established experienced 5/8th that is availavble to replace him. Corey's manage rings funnily enough as been told to look elsewhere from Parramatta. Mary says yep he will do..seemed like a good idea to Millward too.
Really, I'd say that Norman's manager made the first contact to Millward offering his player who was on the outer with the Eels. At some stage Millward would have had to bring the idea to the attention of Mary but we either had to have let Widdop go early or not at all. We did not need both at the club at the same time. It is worthy of note that other candidates were not even considered, including Johnston from the Warriors at the time.

BLM01

First Grade
Really, I'd say that Norman's manager made the first contact to Millward offering his player who was on the outer with the Eels. At some stage Millward would have had to bring the idea to the attention of Mary but we either had to have let Widdop go early or not at all. We did not need both at the club at the same time. It is worthy of note that other candidates were not even considered, including Johnston from the Warriors at the time.
That is what I said.. knowing likely we were looking for a 5/8th
He may have been shopped around by his PM to us before but as far as our club were concerned we were fine with half back and 5/8 until Widdop requesting release bombshell

Johnson had already signed a deal with the sharks before Widdop saga So why would we have been interested then :thinking:
No we probably didn’t need Norman last year but then again Widdop got injured... so we did in the end
but I understand why they brought him in when he was available it made sense to me at the time
So if you think It’s another Millward mess..think again it could of been a smart move Getting a so called high-profile 5/8 for paying not much money last Year
it’s just that Norman hasn’t performed

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The fact Parra let him go early was a red flag. No team would let a first grade player with a heap of experience in a crucial position leave early for no reason let alone pay 400k+ on top. That wreaks of a team desperate to get rid of a player. At the time we were rapt with the idea Norman joined and did not expect him to be so bad.

Like I said before, this is his last season so he will definitely step up so he can get a contract, otherwise he will have no choice but try England or retire and I am pretty sure he had no interest in going to England. He will step up in 2021 but I would not re-sign him past that even if he has an absolute awesome season and wins Daly M for 2021 as Sullivan is the future and judging by Norman's history will only play if he feels he has to which is when he needs a contract. It is a shame because he has a heap of talent.

Sorry this should be on the Norman thread not Herbert.