What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patterson told to look at other clubs

Spot On

Coach
Finally a good source on it.

Also, interesting that Pato is now acting as his own agent.

So why does he refer to that other bloke as his agent? Does "his agent" get a cut of the deal Patto negotiates because he is giving him advice behind the scenes. I'm assunming the other bloke is in fact "his agent", guides him, gives him advice and so on on but hates the NRL so much he refuses to go through the process of becoming accredited or he knows the NRL won't register him. Bizzare!!!!

ClintDogg

Juniors
Should of got rid of him ages ago. He should of took up that NFL kicking job in the USA. Alway injured, does nothing during games besides get in the way and drop the ball.

aqua_duck

Coach
Should of got rid of him ages ago. He should of took up that NFL kicking job in the USA. Alway injured, does nothing during games besides get in the way and drop the ball.

I think that's a tad harsh. Pato has 1 good game every 4 or 5 weeks and he generally plays decent when we're winning by a comfortable margin and the pressures off.

Serc

First Grade
Cowboys' lifeline for Paterson
Robert Dillon
June 2, 2011

Knights coach Rick Stone says Newcastle are willing to consider a mid-season release for Cory Paterson but would be unlikely to grant fellow forwards Mark Taufua or Antonio Kaufusi similar dispensation. Paterson is weighing up an offer to join North Queensland before the June 30 cut-off date after being told by Knights officials that it would be in his interests to find a new club, despite being contracted to Newcastle next season. The Cowboys are keen to sign Paterson for the rest of this season and at least another year after that. ''From my personal point of view, if this opportunity wasn't available next year I'd be disappointed if I held him back,'' Stone said yesterday.

Serc

First Grade
Some more info here also:
And while Newcastle's back-row stocks have already been stretched by the long-term absence of Zeb Taia after neck surgery, Stone indicated the club would not object to Paterson leaving immediately if he could secure a long-term deal.
"From my personal point of view, if this opportunity wasn't available next year, I'd be disappointed if I held him back," Stone said yesterday.
"I'm happy for him to consider all options.
"If he did happen to go, it would be a blow for us for this year, but we have got a little bit of depth in that position, even though we've got a few blokes injured at the moment."
"Pato is one with a special set of circumstances," Stone said.
The coach was confident that if Paterson departed there was enough back-row talent to get Newcastle through the season.
Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr said his club would be "delighted to get him" but it was up to Paterson and the Knights to negotiate a release."There's still a bit to work through, from his end and the Knights' end in particular," Parr said yesterday.
"We've been open and honest with Cory, and we've been transparent with the Knights about what we can afford. If that is enough to get him to come and play with us, we'll be delighted with that.
"If that's not enough to get something to happen, well we've investigated it as much as we could. Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Sidelined for the past three games with a knee injury, Paterson is unlikely to be available until Newcastle's June 18 clash with Penrith.
If he agrees to a transfer in the meantime, he may have played his last game for the club he joined as a 15-year-old and with whom he made his NRL debut in 2007.
The likelihood is that if Paterson agrees to join a rival club, Newcastle will have to pay at least part of his salary so that he is not out of pocket.
If he was not able to negotiate a suitable alternative, he would be entitled to stay with the Knights next year and they would have to honour his contract, estimated to be worth $280,000 a season.
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/cory-can-go-now-knights/2182509.aspx

Rod

Bench
At the bottom of the first article it says Junior has re-signed for two years. So I assume it's official now?

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Yeah I stuffed that up lol...meant to paste the Sau stuff in another place but forgot! Looks like there's a thread now anyway :)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sky News tonight has been reporting that he's joining the Cowboys, effective immediately.

perverse

Referee
intriguing.

i do wish him all the best, and am disappointed i didn't know i was watching his last game in our colours. still has the talent to be anything. i'm sure he could have taken a smaller contract in order to stay. i wish him all the best, hopefuly Team Mundine doesn't turn him into a complete cockstain.

Johns Magic

Referee
I honestly won't miss him.

I'd like to think when Bennett has turned our pack into an effective bunch of workers, I will be able to reminisce about the days when we had guys like Pato in our backrow who didn't like to do the hard yards that successful teams needed.

Harsh, but it's the way I'm looking at it.

Jono078

Referee
I'm disappointed that another great potential has moved on. Those first 2 season he had were phenomenal and I thought he would only improve.

Also, why move him on right now, I don't get that? As a fan of the Knights and his, would have loved to see him play out the season.

Depending on whose decision it was, I just think his heart isn't in it any more, or certainly not as much as it use to be.

Johns Magic

Referee
I imagine another club offering to pay his salary but pushing to get him straight away would have made it a relatively easy choice to let him go now.

perverse

Referee
Pato was absolutely one of my favourite players even 12-18 months ago... but he was living off his first 2 seasons in my mind for a while by then already. he has provided nothing and been paid quite a bit for a while now. i'm sure he could have stayed if he took a pay cut. this is unfortunate, and a part of me is disappointed, but i understand why it's happening, and i find it hard to disagree with. he has talents and ballskills that very few people his size have, and if he gets his head right he could go right to the top.

he has also played a lot of footy for us injured, and this has probably stifled his career as much as his mental illness. i do commend him for the courage he showed playing with a very dud shoulder for weeks last year. i hope he can make it somewhere else, i would delight in watching his career blossom. he will be a very exciting player to watch if he puts it all together at the same time. at 23, he's easily still young enough for a forward.

but, after all that, i don't believe we will miss him. when you look back over the past few years, we haven't had him for quite a while. keeping him in the squad would be living in a dream - with an unknown payout at the end.

Hooch

Juniors
Good for him, he needs to gtfo of a club that treats him as some victim mental patient. No good.

Hope he punts that grasping turd Nasser and makes a name for himself, he's got the talent. Good time to go to the cowboys too, after a cleanout.

aqua_duck

Coach
Good for him, he needs to gtfo of a club that treats him as some victim mental patient. No good.

Hope he punts that grasping turd Nasser and makes a name for himself, he's got the talent. Good time to go to the cowboys too, after a cleanout.

How have we treated him as some mental patient? I've got no doubt that he pulled a shifty on us during his last contract negotiation, keeping his depression under wraps until after he signed that shiny new contract extension. One has to ask, is he a $280k a year player? Hell no, he's inconsistent and lacks the mental toughness required. The problem with Pato is if he isn't having a great game he goes missing, when you compare him to someone like Watmough who IMO is a similar style player, Watmough is 100000000000 times more aggressive and more importantly will still contribute even when he's having an off day.

Alex28

Coach
I'm disappointed that another great potential has moved on. Those first 2 season he had were phenomenal and I thought he would only improve.

Also, why move him on right now, I don't get that? As a fan of the Knights and his, would have loved to see him play out the season.

Depending on whose decision it was, I just think his heart isn't in it any more, or certainly not as much as it use to be.

I'm sick of having players with " potential" and not ones with "ability" and "form".

Also offloading him now is for accounting purposes. We need to lose his contract from the salary cap. We have an adequate offer now - obviously not worth the risk in waiting for a better one.

Latest posts