What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Harragon warns Wayne Bennett’s axe hovering over Knights

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Paul Harragon warns Wayne Bennett’s axe hovering over Knights

ALL but a select group of Knights are playing for their futures as coach Wayne Bennett explores all avenues to resuscitate their flatlining season while rebuilding for the future.

The Newcastle Herald has been told almost every player off contract at the end of this season, and several others signed until the end of next year or 2014, were free to look elsewhere in the wake of Newcastle’s five-game losing streak.

Speaking on ABC Radio on the weekend, Canberra CEO Don Furner said: ‘‘We’ve been offered probably 15 to 20 players ... [including] quite a few from Newcastle. Some are talking about trying to move before June 30 this year.’’

The climate of uncertainty threatens to undermine the rest of the season as the Knights, 14th on the ladder with just four wins from 13 games, face the almost impossible task of having to win at least nine of of their last 11 games to make the top eight.

In related developments:

* Knights chairman and former premiership-winning captain Paul Harragon told Newcastle radio station KO-FM yesterday that Bennett had put all players ‘‘on notice’’; and

* Stand-in skipper Danny Buderus tells Rugby League Week magazine today that it is up to off-contract players, not him, to communicate directly with Bennett about where they stand in the retention pecking order.

‘‘I think players need to go and take a bit of onus for themselves and their form and get in and see the coach and see what they have to do,” Buderus told the magazine when asked to address speculation that, as captain, he should be doing more to voice their concerns.

The Knights’ policy is to not comment on player recruitment or retention. But in an interview yesterday with KO-FM’s David Collins and Tanya Wilks, when asked about the prospects of another roster overhaul, Harragon said Bennett had warned all players that their performances were under review.

‘‘I think you’ll find it with a lot of coaches. Even Ivan Cleary’s doing the same thing [at Penrith],’’ Harragon said. ‘‘You get to the point where you work with blokes, you do this, you do that, and the final result is, ‘Hey guys, everyone’s on notice. If you’re not coming my way ...’

‘‘He [Cleary] has had to drop all his senior players.

‘‘Wayne’s gone in the same direction, just saying, ‘You guys are all on notice, this is the way we’ve got to go, come online and let’s do it.’

‘‘Look, tough times, it will just take a little while ... but I guarantee you – success, it’s there.

‘‘I can feel it, and I’ve been around for a long, long time.

‘‘I have no worries, and in fact I’m actually enjoying the tough time. I am.

‘‘It will make us better.’’

International front-rowers Richie Fa’aoso and Evarn Tuimavave are off contract at the end of the year and the Herald has been told the Knights are not interested in retaining either player. Fa’aoso told the Herald last week that he was resigned to leaving, although he wanted to stay.

The 28-year-old prop, who has played 99 games for the Knights, is considering two-year offers from two Sydney NRL clubs and Japanese rugby union club Panasonic Wild Knights, and was open-minded about the idea of leaving before the June 30 transfer deadline.

Utility forward Matt Hilder, who has signed until the end of next year, is reportedly under pressure to see out his contract but a Knights source said this was not the case.

Hilder is understood to be on Penrith’s radar, though the Panthers’ acquisition last week of Cowboys sparkplug James Segeyaro could have an impact on that.

Fijian Test captain Wes Naiqama is in the first year of a new three-year contract and fellow international centre Junior Sa’u is contracted until the end of next year, having signed a two-year extension last season.

But as the Herald revealed on June 9, other NRL clubs have been approached about the prospect of acquiring either player – before June 30 if feasible.

Naiqama and Sa’u were dropped to Newcastle’s NSW Cup squad this month.

Negotiations with Joel Edwards, a free agent at the end of this season, are on hold. Zeb Taia has already signed with French-based Super League club Catalans Dragons.

Off-contract second-tier players including Kevin Naiqama, Marvin Filipo, Zane Tetevano, Siuatonga Likiliki and Kyle O’Donnell have permission to test the market.

The Knights are still trying to bolster their underperforming squad this year and have been linked to out-of-favour Parramatta and former NSW prop Justin Poore, who is off contract this year but is being shopped around in the hope of a pre-June 30 release.

Any chance of Poore joining the Knights this season would hinge on them offloading a player like Fa’aoso or Tuimavave, or possibly both, due to the salary-cap implications.

Neither Fa’aoso nor Tuimavave were named yesterday in the team to play Wests Tigers at Hunter Stadium on Monday, as Bennett instead included Tetevano on a five-man bench.

Forwards Chris Houston and Willie Mason remain unsigned beyond this year but have been two of the team’s most consistent performers and the Knights hope to retain them.

Captain Kurt Gidley and international recruits Darius Boyd and Kade Snowden, who have all signed until the end of 2015, are off limits.

The only player contracted beyond them is Dragons back-rower Beau Scott, who has signed a four-year deal starting next season.

NSW and Australian winger Aku Uate, contracted until the end of next year, and Buderus, who signed a one-year extension last week, are safe.

Others in that category include Dane Gagai, Alex McKinnon, Adam Cuthbertson, Jarrod Mullen and James McManus.

McKinnon and Cuthbertson signed until the end of 2014 when they followed Bennett from the Dragons at the end of last year.
Gagai joined the Knights from the Broncos last month and has signed until the end of 2014.

Mullen is signed until the end of 2014 and, despite his mixed form and the team’s inconsistent performances this season, it is understood Bennett wants to continue working with him alongside a healthy Gidley next year.

Tyrone Roberts, who has deputised at halfback since Gidley suffered a season-ending shoulder injury on April 30, is secure after signing a new two-year deal eight weeks ago.

Harragon was concerned that the effort Knights supporters had come to expect from their players in the club’s 25-year history had been lacking.

‘‘The last couple of games, people are seeing for the first time, that effort’s not there. What we’re used to has been lacking, and it’s disappointing ...’’ Harragon told KO-FM.

‘‘The way forward for the club is to look critically on ourselves, make changes, do whatever we’ve got to do to find what’s wrong and plough on.

‘‘It will come around, like everything.

‘‘It goes in cycles.’’
LINK

Last edited:

Silent Knight

First Grade
Out of those second tier players I hope we keep Zane Tetevano. Mark my words the guy will be an absolute beast in a few years time. If we let him go, we'll regret it and another club will definitely capitalise.

As for the others...meh. Let them go.

perverse

Referee
i think i just heard knights girls heart shatter into a million pieces. good to hear that Bennett wants to stick with Mullen, he clearly sees what most good judges do. I'm still not sure that Gidley is the one to pair him with.

i agree, the only loss of any concern there appears to be Tetevano. the rest can pack their bags at this stage. i like Richie, but it's pretty clear he doesn't fit the mould anymore. Zebs demise at the club has me sort of feeling rather apathetic about losing other players. just get it over and done with and get us where we need to go please, Mr. Bennett. give me a group of players that i can get attached to that won't let me down.

Joker's Wild

Coach
i think i just heard knights girls heart shatter into a million pieces. good to hear that Bennett wants to stick with Mullen, he clearly sees what most good judges do. I'm still not sure that Gidley is the one to pair him with.

i agree, the only loss of any concern there appears to be Tetevano. the rest can pack their bags at this stage. i like Richie, but it's pretty clear he doesn't fit the mould anymore. Zebs demise at the club has me sort of feeling rather apathetic about losing other players. just get it over and done with and get us where we need to go please, Mr. Bennett. give me a group of players that i can get attached to that won't let me down.

This

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRt2jX1kaYo&feature=related

Out of those second tier players I hope we keep Zane Tetevano. Mark my words the guy will be an absolute beast in a few years time. If we let him go, we'll regret it and another club will definitely capitalise.

As for the others...meh. Let them go.

Serious question is he big enough?

stimpy

Juniors
why wasnt peter mata utai included in that second teir group of players free to test the market. I think he should go well before kevin or wes.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Because Pete is a much better player than we saw against the Raiders.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Is he though mate? The few games in FG I have seen from him have not been anything special and apparently his NSWCup form is patchy at best

Silent Knight

First Grade
Serious question is he big enough?

Before I start I should point out I'm not involved in sports nutrition or fitness and can't really claim to know what height and weight dimensions a prop should be around. You should probably ask Pika. But this is what I think, so here it goes...

It really depends on how we'll use him in the future. Would we look at Zane as a long term starting prop, an impact prop off the bench or a wide running backrower? Personally I see him as an impact prop for the next several seasons. You could have a starting prop rotation of Snowden and Poore, with Mason and Tetevano providing the bench impact.

According to Zane's Knights profile he's 189cm and 107kgs. You could compare him with say Mase who is 196cm and 115kgs. Perhaps an extra 5kg in bulk muscle would help?

He's not too different in size to Kade Snowden who is 186cm and 109kgs. Neither Snowy or Mase are getting dominated in the ruck, it's when they go off that our momentum grinds to a halt. Personally I think Zane at his best is the third ranked prop in our squad. I certainly rate him ahead of Cuthbertson.

If you want him as a wide running backrower or as an impact prop off the bench then his current dimensions are fine. Faas comes in at 184cm and 105kgs and he's proven (mostly from last year) that he can hold his own in the starting squad and off the bench. Faas was always better coming off the bench though imo.

But dimensions aren't everything. They're just the prerequisites. The attitude and the perseverance have to be there as well. From what I've seen of Zane, he runs straight and hard, and knows how to bend the line. This guy could be anything in a few years time.

perverse

Referee
i reckon Pete staying has as much to do with his brothers as anything else. the club probably doesn't want to piss the family off. all you could say about him in first grade thus far would be that he was safe last year and pretty shit this year.

Wato

Juniors
Does Bennett use impact props thou? None spring to mind at Saints he had Weymen,Poore,Merrin,Costigan and Hunt. None are really impact players more workers and I don't remember any at Brisbane either, that don't really suit the Bennett style as they tend to be a bit hit and miss. Also I reckon Tets is better off leaving us for his own career though I would love him to stay, I Melbourne should look at him to replace Manu as he would kill it under Bellamy.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want to compare Zane to a small backrower (heigh and weight wise) there are plenty smaller.

Greg Bird, Paul Gallen, Liam Fulton et al

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does Bennett use impact props thou? None spring to mind at Saints he had Weymen,Poore,Merrin,Costigan and Hunt. None are really impact players more workers and I don't remember any at Brisbane either, that don't really suit the Bennett style as they tend to be a bit hit and miss. Also I reckon Tets is better off leaving us for his own career though I would love him to stay, I Melbourne should look at him to replace Manu as he would kill it under Bellamy.
Lazarus, Gee, Allen, Backo, Webcke, Civoniceva...all played for State and country and would have had bigger impacts when playing than most of their rivals.

Wato

Juniors
Lazarus, Gee, Allen, Backo, Webcke, Civoniceva...all played for State and country and would have had bigger impacts when playing than most of their rivals.

Not really the same role as Tets would be playing off the bench assuming he would play a similar role to Fas. When I say impact I don't mean just bend the line back, I mean short stints most of those blokes had big motors as well.

I just want 17 blokes who pull on a knights jumper every week and bleed themselves dry for it every week. Melbourne have each others backs as do Manly. They just hate to let each other down. That is what we should be. In 1988 we were at the start. A bunch of kids and reserve graders who beat teams up. We were then the most physical side in the game. We left teams busted and never wanting to come back. Even in defeat we made them know they were in a game.

Last edited:

stimpy

Juniors
Is he though mate? The few games in FG I have seen from him have not been anything special and apparently his NSWCup form is patchy at best

Yeah my sentiments as well. I was glad when he came back from injury as i wanted to see him play, but his poor form isnt limited to his 1st grade game against the raiders its been happening every week in nsw cup. He just seems to be lacking the simple things like one on one defence, errors in simple draw & passing and no speed of the mark. I was a fan of his but am not anymore.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Pete's talent is there, no doubt about it. His attitude? Well that might be a different story.

Latest posts