What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Kent: NRL salary cap isn't working

POPEYE

Coach
F**king cry babies, concentrate on finding the right coaches and scouts to show them the right videos and Australia's climate and interest in the game will overcome all obstacles. Poms are spinning their wheels in the mud and rely on shitboxes to get from A to B, bad drivers and even worse navigators

No harm sharing our wealth if we concentrate on digging up more, stealing from each other will do far more f**king damage than donating players to SL

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Thing is those 2011 to 2014 conversion rates weren't normal.

The pound is still relatively weak. It's historically been $2.50 To 3.

But currency conversion isn't really the main issue, with the crackdown on tax avoidance schemes the UK isn't as attractive anymore.

Haven't we started something like that? It's corporate tax to start with, but where does it end?

But there's hardly going to be any tax avoidance in the NRL like there was in SL. The clubs there were paying players through offshore accounts to minimise or evade tax. Can't see NRL clubs doing that.

The only tax avoidance in RL is at grassroots level where clubs make money via sponsors, gate, raffles, bar and canteen and then pay players cash in hand.

POPEYE

Coach
I heard there's no way an NRL player can have an offshore stash to invest in for retirement, same bloke told me the tooth fairy was a good lay

But there's hardly going to be any tax avoidance in the NRL like there was in SL. The clubs there were paying players through offshore accounts to minimise or evade tax. Can't see NRL clubs doing that.

British authorities closed those tax loopholes a few years ago. Its is one of the reasons why it is no longer as attractive financially to play in the UK.

Canard

Immortal

The only tax avoidance in RL is at grassroots level where clubs make money via sponsors, gate, raffles, bar and canteen and then pay players cash in hand.

British authorities closed those tax loopholes a few years ago. Its is one of the reasons why it is no longer as attractive financially to play in the UK.

Not just footy players but Australians (and other antipodeans) in general. When I was living there in the 2000's everyone had some dodgy tax avoidance scheme.

In some instances people were only paying 5 and 10% tax rates.

betcats

Referee
I dont know about tax loopholes but if any player wants to rort a welfare system than england is the place to be.