What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Vaughan Extended to 2021!

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Great news but why on earth did this take priority over re-signing Packer and Dugan?

Secure talent for 2018 onwards and then worry about extending contracts.

Saintsified

Bench
Widdop, Hunt, Vaughan, Duges soon, then mcinnes...
The spine and fire power up front locked in... we will be looking good for many a year to come.
We have the forwards coming through to replace the LAMs and Thomos... youngsters that have many uears ahead of them.
Sign Mann also, Mann, Nene, Aitkens, all early 20s, Lafai still has 5 or so good years (age wise)...
Good job by recruitment if we can pull all these signings off
So is Doust now in our good books? its happening on his time lol

Drakon

Juniors
I like and want Packer to stay but am more pleased to have Vaughan. Packer has done some dumb things in recent games unfortunately.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Great news for Vaughan, and hopefully will assist in retention of Packer.

Letting his footy talk. What a few months for him, from not required by CBR, picked in the All Stars game to the form front rower and should be rewarded with a Blue jersey.

FlameThrower

Bench
Surely it is smarter to have a sliding time frame for contract end dates? Otherwise we have Tigers situation with three quarters of the squad all coming up for renewal..on the same year..then a resulting panic and churn of squad.. meaning a few seasons to rebuild again.
I recall us signing up fringe and depth players or 1 year deals - waste of effort as most never saw first grade anyways!

possm

Coach
Surely it is smarter to have a sliding time frame for contract end dates? Otherwise we have Tigers situation with three quarters of the squad all coming up for renewal..on the same year..then a resulting panic and churn of squad.. meaning a few seasons to rebuild again.
I recall us signing up fringe and depth players or 1 year deals - waste of effort as most never saw first grade anyways!
I don't know about that, I would have thought, if you have a few great players coming off contract together, it would be prudent to extend their contract in a staggered manner a year to a year and a half early.

If you don't want to retain them, let them run out on time or give them the option to go early.

st.phil

Bench
Extension is much simpler as the player and club are on the same page, it happens quick. Marquee off contract has far higher complexity and competing offers and crafty player managers to deal with.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Extension is much simpler as the player and club are on the same page, it happens quick. Marquee off contract has far higher complexity and competing offers and crafty player managers to deal with.

How on earth did you come to this conclusion!?

possm

Coach
So do the deal before the player is off contract. If you don't want the player or he does not want to sign at the time you table an extension, forget him and move on to sign anotherl

Dugan's reluctance to sign and Millward's late to the party move has put the Club in a position whereby we may have to rely on an untested rooky to occupy a spine position; for many clubs a position occupied by a marquee player.

Latest posts