What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payne Haas Stood Down - mother now in court

Xcalibre

Juniors
They couldn’t resist getting the sharks a mention from nearly 3 years ago. Typical.

Additionally while it is bad how much worse do they make it sound in that last paragraph about Jack. Was she 19? And repeatedly?

Yes, JDB’s accuser is/was 19 and she claims she was repeatedly raped. The accusations can’t be made much worse by media.

thorson1987

Coach
^^^^^

Young Brisbane Broncos player jailed for two years over assault of NSW man
By 9News Staff - 13 hours ago
A young rugby league player who had only just been signed to play in the NRL with the Brisbane Broncos has been jailed for two years over the assault of a man in New South Wales.

Myles Taueli, 23, was charged on Boxing Day for assaulting Bradley Davis on Christmas Day last year.

During an appearance at Gosford Local Court on the NSW Central Coast, he was convicted of the attack, as well as for resisting arrest and destroying or damaging property.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F479b80a8-23b6-45bc-9b91-163cbb8e9e57

New Brisbane Broncos recruit Myles Toueli, 23, has been jailed until at least April 2020 over an assault on a man on the NSW Central Coast. (Instagram)
He will remain behind bars until at least April 8, 2020.

Prior to signing a two-year contract with the Brisbane Broncos, beginning in this year’s pre-season period, Taueli played for local Brisbane team the Redcliffe Dolphins since 2017.

The 23-year-old had also encountered controversy earlier in his career after being let go by the Cronulla Sharks in 2016 over a drink-driving charge, according to the Saturday Telegraph.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Ff4aa63a0-c17b-445b-bff4-fb1c8231ac27

Toulei has previously played for the Redcliffe Dolphins and pleaded guilty to the attack. (Instagram)
The conviction comes amid a horror pre-season for the NRL, with multiple notable players also having run-ins with the law.

Among the incidents include league star Jarryd Hayne facing sex assault charges, Manly player Dylan Walker pleading not guilty to domestic violence charges, controversial videos being leaked of Dylan Napa and Corey Norman and the St George-Illawarra Dragons’ Jack De Belin accused of repeatedly raping a teenager.

Deserves to be locked up for that hair cut

Only in Brisbane can you get suspended for an off field indiscretion and keep the entire RL community in the dark about what actually happened.

Who names their child "Payne"? Must've been a rough birth.

gordsy

Juniors
I don't get why he has to co-operate with the integrity unit. Wouldn't he have the same right to silence and to avoid self incrimination as anyone else ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I don't get why he has to co-operate with the integrity unit. Wouldn't he have the same right to silence and to avoid self incrimination as anyone else ?

I would imagine its to reduce their punishment.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2014/11/13/nrl-explains-integrity-unit-processes/

NRL explains Integrity Unit processes
Author
NRL.com
The NRL Integrity Unity has outlined how it deals with disciplinary matters involving players.

NRL General Manager of Integrity Nick Weeks said for non-police matters, like the recent Paul Gallen tweet, the NRL is free to act immediately by issuing the player with a breach notice.

The player is then given an opportunity to put forward any mitigating factors before any penalty is imposed.

However, Mr Weeks said that, in criminal matters, the NRL is careful not to interfere with the judicial system.

"We need to ensure we don't act in a manner that influences or prejudices a criminal investigation or hearing," he said.

For matters before a court or judge or at trial, it could be considered an offence for the NRL to influence the outcome of the matter by publicly commenting.

"We need to wait and let those matters run their course, and give players the opportunity to have a fair hearing until the matter is completed," Mr Weeks said.
"Then we can assess all the factors and act."

Mr Weeks said this applied to the case involving South Sydney player, Kirisome Auva'a – who pleaded guilty to assaulting his former partner in Melbourne in January.

The NRL followed due process and waited for the court proceedings to finish.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
I guess telling them to piss off and mind their own business would make you look more suspicious

Bronco18

Juniors

It would be about obstructing the investigation. Courts can compel individuals by subpoena to give evidence in certain proceedings.

It’s an interesting precedent as it’s a private investigative body - I wonder whether cooperation with the NRL or specifically the integrity unit is stipulated in contracts or whether it falls under some broader code of conduct.

mave

Coach
It’s an interesting precedent as it’s a private investigative body - I wonder whether cooperation with the NRL or specifically the integrity unit is stipulated in contracts or whether it falls under some broader code of conduct

Like all things NRL, it would be determined on a "case by case basis", lol.
Mainly dependent on which particular club the player was contracted to at the time.

Chimp

Bench
I know what's happened here... Payne is too tall, and when old Toddy went to give him an 'eyeballing', there were no chairs around, so poor Toddys 'eyeballing' prowess just didn't work on this occasion.
'But let's be clear', this does not mean a good eyeballing is not an effective truth serum and magic better behaviour remedy.

Mr Spock!

Referee
This is an interesting one.

He's been stood down for not dobbing on his family.

The investigation stemmed from two off-field incidents involving the 19-year-old's family members, one a wild brawl at a local rugby league game late last year.

Announcing the sanction on Wednesday, Broncos boss Paul White stressed Haas had not committed any alleged acts of violence and the investigation had now closed.

It is understood the NRL worked closely with the Broncos to deliver the punishment and a harsher penalty would've ensued if Haas had completely refused to co-operate.

Despite the club's constant urgings either side of Christmas, though, White said the emerging prop's level of co-operation fell short and warranted more than a slap on the wrist

"I just draw the link between complex family matters and an integrity unit investigation and I think you can join the dots," he said, stressing there was no expectation to put club before family.

"There's a huge amount of tension in that ... if we could've chosen another course of action we wouldn't be sitting here today but that action was dictated by that level of co-operation.

"It may result in a negative outcome but I'm hopeful in Payne's case this will be a reference point for his future."

https://www.theislanderonline.com.au/story/5913990/suspension-big-fine-for-unhelpful-bronco/

blaza88z

Coach
Some of you blokes have no clue what so ever, he was stood down for not complying with the integrity unit, there's nothing to suggest he did anything wrong himself, he failed to comply with the integrity unit.

So before you start coming out with your typical "under the rug" crap, have a bit of a read first.

Lebbo73

Bench
Just appears that the Broncos are treated differently by the NRL.
How? He was fined 10 gees and suspended for 2-4 games for an incident that didn’t involve him. Family is family. The IU doesn’t need to know. Unless, you’re one those who nark on their own blood for something the police have stopped investigating.

Generalzod

Immortal
Geez you Broncos supporters love pointing the finger at other clubs and their indiscretions and here I am making an observation that it appears that the NRL are linient on the Broncos just look at The way they handled the salary cap issue..

gordsy

Juniors
I don't get why the Broncos suspended him though. If he breached the nrl code of conduct then why did the Broncos come up with the punishment and why does the nrl care about these Incidents that from I can gather don't Involve him doing the wrong thing ?? It's like the cops only arresting you when you try to break up a fight outside a pub.

Last edited: