What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PDRLFC Board

emjaycee

Coach
Just wondering if anyone on here who is eligible is thinking of putting their name up for a spot on the board at this years AGM?

I am not eligible to vote but I know there are some here who can vote and nominate themselves for a seat.

torpedo

Juniors
i will be finishing my 3rd year as a member so i guess i should be able to vote this year, but i am not putting myself up...not just yet.

I am eligible, but with my Background and the Skeletons in my closet, I don't think I will be running any time soon.

bartman

Immortal
I'd hope if someone is keen to put themselves forward to stand, that they do so having gained a realistic understanding of exactly what the role involves, how much you canrealistically contribute as just one Board Member, and what the limitations of the responsibilities of the Football club are (in relation to NRL matters).

Of course, it's a bit of an indictment on the way the Football Club is currently run that such information for prospective Board nomminees is not readily available on a website (say, what a great idea... a simple website for the Football Club to disseminate it's information?) or posted out to all members with notification of timeframes for elections, nominations and the meeting itself...

In the past I believe we have heard excuses as to why the appropriate notification of the annual meetings have not apparently arrived with all members in a timely fashion - I wonder if there will have been any improvement in that regard in the past 12 months?

bazza

Immortal
I am now eligible to vote
I can not make the AGM (when is it) so I do not know if it is possible to vote via proxy

Suitman

Post Whore
I'd hope if someone is keen to put themselves forward to stand, that they do so having gained a realistic understanding of exactly what the role involves, how much you canrealistically contribute as just one Board Member, and what the limitations of the responsibilities of the Football club are (in relation to NRL matters).

Of course, it's a bit of an indictment on the way the Football Club is currently run that such information for prospective Board nomminees is not readily available on a website (say, what a great idea... a simple website for the Football Club to disseminate it's information?) or posted out to all members with notification of timeframes for elections, nominations and the meeting itself...

In the past I believe we have heard excuses as to why the appropriate notification of the annual meetings have not apparently arrived with all members in a timely fashion - I wonder if there will have been any improvement in that regard in the past 12 months?

Bart

LOL.

DOUBLE LOL.

"Times are a changing. "

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
Just wondering if anyone on here who is eligible is thinking of putting their name up for a spot on the board at this years AGM?

I am not eligible to vote but I know there are some here who can vote and nominate themselves for a seat.

I'm quite surprised there hasn't been many answers to this question actually, which I thought was quite reasonable, given the outrage there has been amongst forumers with regards to the current regime.

Suity

Nikki

Coach
Anyone who put themselves up would have to have really thick skin. Dennis is not an idiot and would crucify anyone who tried.

Suitman

Post Whore
Anyone who put themselves up would have to have really thick skin. Dennis is not an idiot and would crucify anyone who tried.

But it's not about Denis, it's about the PDRLFC and the well being of that entity.
I don't think MJC was talking about people putting their hand up for running for the job of CEO, more just running for the Board.

Suity

Nikki

Coach
But it's not about Denis, it's about the PDRLFC and the well being of that entity.
I don't think MJC was talking about people putting their hand up for running for the job of CEO, more just running for the Board.

Suity

And I am sure he would do his best to deter ppl from there too.. It would be naive to think he wouldnt.

Suitman

Post Whore
And I am sure he would do his best to deter ppl from there too.. It would be naive to think he wouldnt.

That's fine, and I take the point about a thick skin.

If a member wants to run for the Board, they should be able to, regardless of what he thinks and tries.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Denis is just a CEO at the end of the day. There are heaps of companies (small and large) or community organisations out there, and heaps of CEOs around the place. The Eels are just another one, and Denis is his Board's servant. He';s not some huge scary monster just because he's been our CEO for... ever.

I don't think Denis should be overly concerned about an ordinary member putting themself forward for nomination, if it's done in the right way and the person clearly knows and understands what they are nominating for and why they are doing it, and shows a willingness to work together with everyone involved. Someone with a clue and something to offer the Board, not just running on the simplistic sack-Denis-at-all-costs garbage we read in posts here some times.

For him to unduly interfere in what should be a very open and accountable process (should an ordinary member who he perhaps doesn't know nominates) would just show himself up as being a very unprofessional man... And chances are if such a person putthemselves forward they wouldn't lose any sleep over whatever Denis does or has to say, particularly if it was of an unprofessional and inappropriate nature.

It's been said in here before, what the Footy Club Board Members (not so much Denis, but the others) need to do is actively reach out to and involve its membership more, and not be scared of them. Reach out and harness the skills and talents and good will the (now increasing) membership can offer toward the club's aims, by for example setting up some supporters reference groups or something, and involving more people in the Board's ongoing work - and in doing so helping satisfy themselves that there are people out there who would make good future Board members and help to represent the broader interests of the (increasing) membership (if only they were "let into" what seems the Board's old boys club/clique way of operating).

We know Board members read these forums, they can register, reach out and PM some people whose thoughts and ideas they like, if they are as serious as people here about growing the football club for the future, and since times have been changing making the necessary improvments in the way things operate.

Suitman

Post Whore
It's been said in here before, what the Footy Club Board Members (not so much Denis, but the others) need to do is actively reach out to and involve its membership more, and not be scared of them. Reach out and harness the skills and talents and good will the (now increasing) membership can offer toward the club's aims, by for example setting up some supporters reference groups or something, and involving more people in the Board's ongoing work - and in doing so helping satisfy themselves that there are people out there who would make good future Board members and help to represent the broader interests of the (increasing) membership (if only they were "let into" what seems the Board's old boys club/clique way of operating).

We know Board members read these forums, they can register, reach out and PM some people whose thoughts and ideas they like, if they are as serious as people here about growing the football club for the future, and since times have been changing making the necessary improvments in the way things operate.

Very well put Bart.

It is clear that we ALL have the clubs best interests in heart. I would hope that the board members are the same, and if indeed they are, then maybe your suggestion would see them less ostracised, and more accepted, as friends of the Eels.

Besides Alan Overton AM OAM, when was the last time someone from here asked another Board member a question, and casually, got an honest response?
I believe Ron Hilditch is a Director. Anyone spoken to Ron lately?
What about Michael Johnson??
Peter Miller anyone? Peter who, I hear you all say.
Then there is Gary Morris. :?
Don Ritchie is another :?.
Chris Jurd I believe is a little more forthcoming.

But seriously, who are all this lot and what are they doing in the best interests of the club? Everyone blames Denis, and rightly so, for reasons that have been plainly noted previously, but tbh, it's these blokes that keep putting him there.
All we ever see is an annual report with their names attached to it.

Aren't THEY ALL accountable for the running of the club?

Suity

Besides Alan Overton AM OAM, when was the last time someone from here asked another Board member a question, and casually, got an honest response?
I believe Ron Hilditch is a Director. Anyone spoken to Ron lately?
What about Michael Johnson??
Peter Miller anyone? Peter who, I hear you all say.
Then there is Gary Morris. :?
Don Ritchie is another :?.
Chris Jurd I believe is a little more forthcoming.

But seriously, who are all this lot and what are they doing in the best interests of the club? Everyone blames Denis, and rightly so, for reasons that have been plainly noted previously, but tbh, it's these blokes that keep putting him there.
All we ever see is an annual report with their names attached to it.

Aren't THEY ALL accountable for the running of the club?

Suity

If I answer that question it will not be for the benefit of Bart's and your messages unfortunately.

But Suity, Peter Miller is no longer a board member, he was replaced prior to the football club AGM last year, the new member of the Board is Geoff Gerard.

Stagger eel

Staff member

I think that's closer to the truth than alot of people think.

Suity

exactly suity, that's why we need people with a bit of vision and will to be able to stand up to a guy like Fitzy instead of shake with fear at the site of him.

I hear on the grapevine that one of the Reasons why Geoff Gerard was called in to replace Peter Miller was because he had sound management skills with a footballing mind and (wait for it) the ability to stand up to Dennis if they need to so I ask the question what the hell has Gary Morris and Don Ritchie done at the club in the last 20 years other bow to Dennis's wishes and throw a few steaks on a barbie??

eeladdick

Juniors
If someone was worried about fitzy putting pressure on a nominee,
a way around it could be as follows,
if you as a nominee could bring something to the table (i.e money) the board would listen ,lets face it fitzy keeps saying we got no monie since the pokie tax ,so if some one who was going to think about being nominated was to bring a major sponser with them , i can't see the board not considering them,
just a thought,

emjaycee

Coach
So do I take it that all though there is a lot of huff and puff on here, no one actually has the gonads to say "stuff it, I love my eels and I am going to at least put my hand up to try and become part of the team that helps them?"

Maybe hiding behind the anonymity (sp) of the internet and whinging and whining when things are not done how we want them is the true strength of most on here. It is sh*t easy to pay $25 per annum and say "I am a member and when I can vote I will make sure we get rid of Denis, blah, blah, blah..." but at the end of the day, someone has to stand up and say "let me on the board and let me make a difference".

**gets off soapbox**

Latest posts