What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

peach officially gone

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Special K said:

Played for Oz in a SL test in 1997. But they have it as a seperate thing in the article. I don't remember if the 1997 SL tests were a tri series.

Booyah

Bench
I'm almost certain Peach made the Tri-series squad. I can't recall whether he played or not.

Captain Jack Sparrow said:
I don't remember if the 1997 SL tests were a tri series.
good point think they were, even though peach only played against NZ from memory

either way the article is still wrong as you said

In 1997 an Australian representative team played five Test matches (recognised by the International Rugby League Federation) against New Zealand (2) and Great Britain (3). They are categorised separately in the above table as they were not representatives of the ARL.
http://rl1908.com/Tests/intro.htm

Nullajet

Juniors
It's a sad time...at least when the legend ET retired we all had Peach to take up where he left off with the same amazing skills, consistent efforts, loyalty, grace and attitude, once the Peach goes..there isn't a lot left of that same ilk. Maybe Gallen is a possibility. :(

Yes it is sad. I've got a lot of fond memories of the Peach and it is always sad to see one of the club veterans go. After a couple of indifferent seasons, possibly due to a combination of injuries and off field dramas, Peachey has been almost back to his best this year and one of the most consistent performers for the Sharks. It would be fantastic if he went out on a high note, ie with a Premiership, and let's hope this acts as a spur for that to happen.

As for a replacement, I'd expect Simmons to take over the reigns (some big boots to fill there Simmo) and Merritt to move to the wing.

Card Shark

Immortal
Official announcement shall be made by the club & peach tomorrow (thursday). sad day for the sharks but it could have been worse.
We will miss you Peach!

PJ

First Grade
Anyone else but me a bit concerned about next year with no Peach and no Stevo and looking like no replacements?

carcharias

Immortal
PJ said:
Anyone else but me a bit concerned about next year with no Peach and no Stevo and looking like no replacements?

I think next year will be a good year for people to travel.

This is the end.

Hope he goes out a winner, he deserves it , we deserve it.

MightySharks

Bench
Goodbye Peach and good luck, Thanks for giving us your best footy for over a decade, lets win the fuggen thing this year for you and everyone else who has had to watch 38 years of dissapointment.

pogo

Juniors
lets take it one game at a time mighty sharks and get past the broncos before we think about the grand final!

black_dot

Juniors
reported today that peaches deal with widness is $300K per year and he signed a two year deal.

That's good money for the champion.

carcharias

Immortal
black_dot said:
reported today that peaches deal with widness is $300K per year and he signed a two year deal.

That's good money for the champion.

The cost of living is 3 x more than here so he is on 100k a year in a way.

Nuffs

Bench
different rules over there though, carch

tax-free money, contract may state the club pay for living expenses etc.

$300,000 is some pretty big money. still a fair way below what mckenna was given to go over there

We're glad to be getting the Peach.

From what I've heard, he's not as fast as he as but still a good professional and very strong in defence.

We're not struggling for full backs. We have former GB international Gary Connolly retiring at the end of the season but we have a solid 22 year old called Tim Holmes, who is unmistakeable and Gary Hulse, only 5 foot 4 but very good in the air and a good tackler.

He will be a quality signing without a doubt. I'm not concerned about his age but considering he's cut it for 11 years in the NRL and can still play at that level, he'll be just fine in Super League.

It's a very good signing but us Widnes fans would prefer a scrum half for that kind of money. We've not had a good one for three years. We had one who was too ill to play for most of the season (Ryan Sheridan), and we've been carrying one that has converted from stand off unsuccessfully (Ste Myler). We had Willie Peters for a short while but he suffered the odd injury and went back to Australia.

Now we've signed Peachey, he has filled next season's foreign quota alongside Owen Craigie and Aaron Moule. Again, I'd hate it if we missed out on a good scrum half from the NRL. As long as Widnes end up with quality in other positions, I'm pleased we've got the Peach.

I also discovered his Charity on the internet and it looks very well supported. It's great we're also getting a superb role model in addition to an experienced player.

carcharias

Immortal
Nuffs said:
different rules over there though, carch

tax-free money, contract may state the club pay for living expenses etc.

$300,000 is some pretty big money. still a fair way below what mckenna was given to go over there

Living expenses??? that's a bloody good deal.

Peaches cigi's will set him back a pretty pound though.:)

da_sharks

Juniors
quick question;

if u have been with the club for more than ten years, do u get discluded from the salary cap (ie: they can pay u whatever u want)

and if so, is it 1st grade u have to be with for ten years or is it since u have been with the club from young (ie: sonny bill williams has been with the doggies since he was ten)

black_dot

Juniors
The cost of living being expensive over there is a fallacy. The players get everything given to them, house and car. The only reason some players dont put much away when over there is cause they travel all over europe on their two and three days off.

carcharias

Immortal
da_sharks said:
quick question;

if u have been with the club for more than ten years, do u get discluded from the salary cap (ie: they can pay u whatever u want)

and if so, is it 1st grade u have to be with for ten years or is it since u have been with the club from young (ie: sonny bill williams has been with the doggies since he was ten)

Hmmmmm I smell a name change.

I don't think it has been officially incorporated into the salary cap yet.

There was talk about it , but I don't think it has come in yet.