What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Blitz

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Gus managed to peel back the fat over his eyes such was his outrage.

Gould makes his career off being a contrarian whiner. So the medias precious Melbourne are actually getting their right whack for once, now the whole comp is at risk of capsizing. Give me a break.

Spot On

Coach
Yeah, let's go back to players running the game, being off side for 80 mins, wrestling the life out of the bloke who should be able to play the ball, abuse the refs, stifle the attack, slow everything down at the ruck and have Cam Smith do whatever the f**k he wants.

Great f**king idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Blame Archer. He let standards slip over several years. Trying to rectify things in a short time is always going to ruffle feathers. Hope the refs and Greenburg stay strong and ignore Gould, Johns etc.

The problem is what do you and don’t you penalise and when? I doubt there are many sets of six in a game where you couldn’t find a technical issue to penalise. There wouldn’t be one play of the ball inside the 10 where every player is behind the line as the ball leaves the ruck.

Shorty

Staff member
Blame Archer. He let standards slip over several years. Trying to rectify things in a short time is always going to ruffle feathers. Hope the refs and Greenburg stay strong and ignore Gould, Johns etc.
Yeah I don’t understand why they couldn’t have done it more gradually.
Not to mention new or casual fans, you think they’re going to watch this shit?

And it’s been a few rounds now and the players aren’t changing.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The problem is what do you and don’t you penalise and when? I doubt there are many sets of six in a game where you couldn’t find a technical issue to penalise. There wouldn’t be one play of the ball inside the 10 where every player is behind the line as the ball leaves the ruck.

That's what they're trying to rectify, but of course the media live and breathe off controversy and outrage so having an ill disciplined piece of shit game with the penalties to match like the one we just saw out in the open for all to see is prime bait for the machine.

mave

Coach
Yeah, let's go back to players running the game, being off side for 80 mins, wrestling the life out of the bloke who should be able to play the ball, abuse the refs, stifle the attack, slow everything down at the ruck and have Cam Smith do whatever the f**k he wants.

Great f**king idea.

Much better to have the refs blow 30 penalties a game, where in reality they could find100 if they wanted to.

We need some middle ground.

Shorty

Staff member
That's what they're trying to rectify, but of course the media live and breathe off controversy and outrage so having an ill disciplined piece of shit game with the penalties to match like the one we just saw out in the open for all to see is prime bait for the machine.
You mean like the Broncos and Tigers, Cowboys and Storm, Tigers and Storm etc?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Here's the problem with the "let it continue" argument, which I was in favour of after the first 3 weeks but have since become concerned about.

Players aren't going to fall into line. They're just going to exploit it and make an even larger mess out of everything. We saw that with the Lewis sin bin. Segeyaro's highlight reel consists of him slipping around like he's trying to dick balance himself on a greased pig.

Warranted penalties is one thing, but exploiting trigger happy refereeing is not the effect the NRL wanted from this.

Reactions: siv

Tweed Titan

Bench
The players will eventually get it through their thick heads. More penalties and more 10 (f**k off the soft 5 minutes idea) minute sin binnings til they start playing disciplined football again please.

This is needed due to the soft cock reffing that has occurred in the last 3-5 years. A much needed correction. The game will find a proper equilibrium again if the refs stick to their guns. Penalties will then start to reduce as players realize they can’t get away with the crap anymore.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Players, or should I say specific teams that have been doing this for years, aren't accepting the changes and are trying to force a referee backflip by refusing to accept the crackdown. Binning Smith is a great demonstration of how willing they are to challenge the Archer order.

T-Boon

Coach
They won’t when even less people go to the game and those at home turn over the tv channel!

Yep the coaches really need to get their shit together and stop this penalty count. Every penalty they give away with their cheat tactics is damaging the game. They instructed their players to go out and give away a combined 34 penalties tonight. That is pathetic. Some of these coaches need to be given a few weeks off in reserve grade while coaches who care about the game come in sort out the mess within the clubs and start play none cheat ball.

Perth Red

Post Whore

You can’t though , unless you want to become union and accept 20-30penalties a game and scores of 8-6 in penalty kicks.
Reality is probably 2-3 out of 6 tackles someone will be slightly inside the 10. Or a tackle may go 1 sec longer than normal or a player can’t quite get fully out of the ruck or a thousand other technical reasons you could give a penalty. Look at the low penalty rate in origin, you really think that’s because no one is offside or laying on? And yet we rate them as the pinnacle entertainment games.

Happy to see obvious penalties given or where the Infringement directly impacts the play. I’d also like to see two penalties in a row inside the 10 next is automatic sinbin

LineBall

Juniors
Needs 5 minute bin. Once a team concedes 5 or 10 penalties give the offender a mandatory 5 minutes.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The moral of the story is the penny has finally dropped on the grubby, Wrestlemania loophole-athon that teams like Melbourne and 2014 Souffs have been taking advantage of for over a decade.

So you can't play with a 7 metre defensive line anymore, cry me a river. So you can't wrestle players into the turf and slow the game down to a snails pace anymore, I feel so sad for you. So you can't roll the ball under your legs like a primary school sports carnival anymore, I weep for your pain.

The game is not going to bend over to satisfy a minority who will throw the toys out of the cot as soon as shit doesn't go their way anymore, and clearly the expansionist excuse isn't gonna fly for Bellyache and his spit spraying bullshit anymore either. And FMD if the game will not be better off for it.

Tweed Titan

Bench
Players, or should I say specific teams that have been doing this for years, aren't accepting the changes and are trying to force a referee backflip by refusing to accept the crackdown. Binning Smith is a great demonstration of how willing they are to challenge the Archer order.
A few losses due to ill discipline/sin binnings will quickly change their coaching instructions.

Coaches tend to get fired when they lose too many games.

LineBall

Juniors
You can’t though , unless you want to become union and accept 20-30penalties a game and scores of 8-6 in penalty kicks.
Reality is probably 2-3 out of 6 tackles someone will be slightly inside the 10. Or a tackle may go 1 sec longer than normal or a player can’t quite get fully out of the ruck or a thousand other technical reasons you could give a penalty. Look at the low penalty rate in origin, you really think that’s because no one is offside or laying on? And yet we rate them as the pinnacle entertainment games.

Happy to see obvious penalties given or where the Infringement directly impacts the play. I’d also like to see two penalties in a row inside the 10 next is automatic sinbin

You’re asking The refs to use their discretion. By doing that you will have them being crucified for inconsistencies.