What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Differentials

alien

Referee
Again.... maybe the Roosters are ill-disciplined.

Exactly! I don't know how many people notice, but the Roosters give away quite alot of penalties, on purpose, when the opposition is attacking the try line, in an attempt to slow the play down, or in the hope that the other team takes the shot at goal.

Danish

Referee
What nasty names would you call the clubs that poached Smith, Slater, Folau, Cronk or any of Bellamy's prodigies . . . that is if none of them wanted to become a Rooster. I'd bet your tiny balls that none of the big 3 would have left Melbourne if they weren't paid overs. Inglis left because he knew he couldn't stay.

IF they did Smith would probably now be a Bronco, Slater and Cronk as well, Red Hill would've had no more need for brown paper bags than Nick does, you'd be pissing your pants over Brisbane working on it's 10th premiership

Rorting the cap is against the rules but only a f**king fool could designate it cheating when it's not used to poach players from other teams, only a bigger f**king idiot imagines players play better the more their paid. Melbourne didn't ruin the Warriors by taking Maloney or doesn't rely on Penrith's Jennings . . . Bellamy or any of his players have no trouble sleeping at night you f**kwit

Grade 5 Intentional delusion

alien

Referee
I had posted some of this on one of the other Rooster conspiracy threads:

Interesting way to look at it:

Penalties received
Souths 167
Easts 162
Difference +3%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 22,261
Easts 19,368
Difference +13%

Not too far away, 3 and 13.

What about 2014?

Penalties received
Souths 219
Easts 135
Difference +38%

Crowds (home average)
Souths 19,888
Easts 14,102
Difference +29%

So 38 to 29. Again fairly close.

Why? Simple .......

"BOOOOOOOOO". and "GETIMONSIDE"

__

I wouldn't argue that is the sole reason, far from it, but you can't whinge that we seem to boo all game and then think that it has no effect. The refs may be Voldemort's but they are not robots.

So I would say to the Roosters supporters, get off your couch and actually turn up at games and support your team. Clearly the guys that post here go to games, so get your mates to do the same each week. May even become a habit.

Cheers

Good post, except the percentage difference for penalties received in 2014 was actually 62%, but I get the point that getting more of your own supporters to your games, can influence the refs more often.

Last edited:

Chook Norris

First Grade
Exactly! I don't know how many people notice, but the Roosters give away quite alot of penalties, on purpose, when the opposition is attacking the try line, in an attempt to slow the play down, or in the hope that the other team takes the shot at goal.

Once again, how does us being ill-disciplined explain how we can receive 0 penalties in the 2nd half for two different games, two weeks in a row

Card Shark

Immortal
A couple of the penalties Roosters supporters are angry about are hands in the tackle / play the ball, especially 1 in the first minute of the 2nd half.

Just saw 1 in Holden Cup - Raiders V Tigers off a late kickoff @ 28 all. Raiders were claiming a strip, ref saw it differently.

So the Raiders get the chance to challenge the decision, which they did. The ref was proven right but at least the Raiders had a reasonable chance to not have a crucial call go against them.

I really think the video ref should stay out of the game unless a try or called upon by a captains challenge.

Bring it in NRL!

Chook Norris

First Grade
It doesn't. Was it the same ref?

Nope. Sutton last week. Klein this week

A couple of the penalties Roosters supporters are angry about are hands in the tackle / play the ball, especially 1 in the first minute of the 2nd half.

Just saw 1 in Holden Cup - Raiders V Tigers off a late kickoff @ 28 all. Raiders were claiming a strip, ref saw it differently.

So the Raiders get the chance to challenge the decision, which they did. The ref was proven right but at least the Raiders had a reasonable chance to not have a crucial call go against them.

I really think the video ref should stay out of the game unless a try or called upon by a captains challenge.

Bring it in NRL!

I don't follow the Holden Cup but there are so many benefits to a challenge system and they should really be looking to fast-track its implementation, soon. I'm unaware of how it currently works but a structure similar to that of tennis would be cool (ie 3 incorrect challenges allowed), with the video ref only being called upon in such instances

thorson1987

Coach
Nope. Sutton last week. Klein this week

I don't follow the Holden Cup but there are so many benefits to a challenge system and they should really be looking to fast-track its implementation, soon. I'm unaware of how it currently works but a structure similar to that of tennis would be cool (ie 3 incorrect challenges allowed), with the video ref only being called upon in such instances

That's pretty much exactly how it works. Although I'm pretty sure teams get 1 incorrect challenge per half.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The Roosters have received 9 second half penalties in 7 matches. No doubt this would be the lowest number for the opening 7 rounds in Rugby League history, probably the lowest in competitive sporting history. The 2 page spread in tomorrows paper on the remarkably low penalties received will have leave NRL management with red faces.

POPEYE

Coach

Bring it in NRL!

Hands on the ball is just one of the pedantic penalties referees 'search' for, worth little more than a warning on the run or 5 in the bin for repeat offenders. These shit penalties will disappear if the game is refereed like it is in England where the game is allowed to flow.

Problem we'd have with a challenge system in the NRL is the referee's already think they are an integral part of the result and belittling them by showing up mistakes will only raise their ire . . . they are accustomed as it is to 'evening up'

Vic Mackey

Referee
To me the referee 'tip sheet' shouldn't exist. Totally agree that it gives referees a pre conceived concept of what's going to happen instead of on merritt. Guys like JWH and Adam Blair get penalised for stuff in the ruck that other guys don't.

Btw on twitter today there was a post going around saying the tigers haven't recieved an offside penalty since the first half of round 4. So for 3 and a half weeks the tigers opponents haven't been offiside once....remarkable!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Is it possible that because the Roosters push the boundaries so close to that line constantly that it just feels to the refs that by comparison what the opposition is doing doesn't look so bad?

Could be more of a psychological/subconscious thing rather than any intentional picking on by referees.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I think the majority of roosters fans agree that they do push the boundaries in the ruck and are happy to concede more penalties then most. The issue they have is that when the same happens to them they don't get penalised.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Is it possible that because the Roosters push the boundaries so close to that line constantly that it just feels to the refs that by comparison what the opposition is doing doesn't look so bad?

Could be more of a psychological/subconscious thing rather than any intentional picking on by referees.

Do you realise of all the teams the Roosters have played this season, only one, Canberra have conceded less penalties. The Storm, Souths, Panthers, Bronco's, Sharks and Cowboys have all conceded more penalties than the Roosters so far this season. This does not indicate the Roosters are particularly undisciplined. What has happened if you take the penalty counts at face value is that every other team's discipline improves against the Roosters.. Mighty strange.

Another interesting stat pointed out to me is that the Storm have the high % of 'gang' tackles of all teams and the highest % of penalties conceded for holding down. Makes sense. The Roosters have the lowest % of gang tackles made and are the second most penalized team for holding down in the ruck.. Strange

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
A more remarkable stat is that all 15 other teams in the NRL since 2013 all have conceded the least penalties against the Roosters. You might think that is not a big deal. What if I told you the odds of this happening are 1 in 437,893,890,380,859,000. Then you might just think, something doesn't seem quite right.

Vic Mackey

Referee
At the tigers members day this year Jason Taylor openly said the roosters didn't mind giving penalties away in the right position because they backed their defence. As their assistant coach for 2 years I think he knows what he is talking about.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
At the tigers members day this year Jason Taylor openly said the roosters didn't mind giving penalties away in the right position because they backed their defence. As their assistant coach for 2 years I think he knows what he is talking about.

Still missing the point Vic, though not to say what JT said is not true, though if you watched Sterlo last season, most of the penalties the Roosters conceded are in the opposition half. Also if you think the Roosters are the only team that do it then you are smoking something.

Latest posts