What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penalty Differentials

God-King Dean

Immortal
Fair points.

But if you say these refs have tips sheets, why would that lower penalties of teams playing the Roosters?

Unless it's being said that there are only tip sheets for them?

betcats

Referee
Gee who did we lose for season 2013 again -

• Braith Anasta
  • Justin Carney
  • Curtis Rona
  • Peni Tagive
  • Mose Masoe
  • 'BJ' Leilua.
Anasta was the club captain at the time and would not have been on small change. BJ wasn't either as he had re-signed only earlier in 2012. Carney and Masoe were squad players so would have been on average money. Rona and Tagive would have been on the minimum.

It is well known that the club had hoped the Warriors would give Maloney an early release for 2012 so they kept space in the salary cap for him in case he came in 2012. As such there was space under the cap.

Additionally, if memory serves, Jennings was given a pay out for termination of his contract so it is quite possible he signed for below market value.

p.s.

How did this thread get hi-jacked into yet another squabble about the salary cap?

Anastas coin doesnt cover SBW and the rest of those guys combined wouldnt cover Jennings contract even with whatever Penrith were paying. Im not syaing you cheated to do it, but most clubs would need to gut their roster completely or cheat to do it. You signed other players that year as well, no one to big contracts though so I didnt mention them but Moa and O'Donnel and I think Mortimer possibly.

Its the roosters, its always about the salary cap.

Last edited:
Anastas coin doesnt cover SBW and the rest of those guys combined wouldnt cover Jennings contract even with whatever Penrith were paying. Im not syaing you cheated to do it, but most clubs would need to gut their roster completely or cheat to do it. You signed other players that year as well, no one to big contracts though so I didnt mention them but Moa and O'Donnel and I think Mortimer possibly.

Its the roosters, its always about the salary cap.

Yet by the constant questioning of it and the tone of your posts you imply the Roosters are cheating the cap. You only have to look at what you said about Jennings contract. Penrith had him on overs so because he was released he must have been getting that same amount or close to it at the Roosters.

This thread had nothing to do with our salary cap, yet that is what the thread is turning into. The salary cap is not what this is about. There is a separate thread running currently about the salary cap.

It is about the difference in penalties received by v penalties conceded by the Roosters.

No one has been able to explain why, going back to 2004 the Roosters have been year in year out amongst the most penalised of sides (with most if not all of those penalties being justified) yet in the same period received far less penalties?

We see our players get penalised for stuff which when a player on the opposing team of the day does it they get cautioned about it. That is the nub of the issue and nothing else.

betcats

Referee
Yet by the constant questioning of it and the tone of your posts you imply the Roosters are cheating the cap. You only have to look at what you said about Jennings contract. Penrith had him on overs so because he was released he must have been getting that same amount or close to it at the Roosters.

This thread had nothing to do with our salary cap, yet that is what the thread is turning into. The salary cap is not what this is about. There is a separate thread running currently about the salary cap.

It is about the difference in penalties received by v penalties conceded by the Roosters.

No one has been able to explain why, going back to 2004 the Roosters have been year in year out amongst the most penalised of sides (with most if not all of those penalties being justified) yet in the same period received far less penalties?

We see our players get penalised for stuff which when a player on the opposing team of the day does it they get cautioned about it. That is the nub of the issue and nothing else.

Salary cap is an easy target. You are a succesful club you have been to 5 GFs since 2002. Most fans dont want to hear about penalties from Roosters fans. Just keep looking forward to the next superstar you sign or the next GF or the next big thing you have coming through the ranks.

Jennings was reportedly going to be on 650-700k in 2013 with penrith, even if he took a 20 percent paycut its still around 500k.

Last edited:
Jennings was reportedly going to be on 650-700k in 2013 with penrith, even if he took a 20 percent paycut its still around 500k.

Really? Were you his manager? I place as much faith in media reports of player salaries at any club as I do in the credibility of Phil Rothfield, none at all.

betcats

Referee
Really? Were you his manager? I place as much faith in media reports of player salaries at any club as I do in the credibility of Phil Rothfield, none at all.

He was on a lot what ever the amount was I doubt he took a massive paycut to play for the roosters.

Also the palyers you mentioned earlier who were on the minimum, are you their manager?

Danish

Referee
Fair points.

But if you say these refs have tips sheets, why would that lower penalties of teams playing the Roosters?

Unless it's being said that there are only tip sheets for them?

There are tip sheets for players, and tip sheets for teams.

The roosters IMO are earmarked at referee HQ as a team that commits a lot of penalties, and naturally when a ref is biasing his decision making to try and find penalties against a team, he is going to be more lax when refereeing the other team as he'll be focusing on policing one team over another.

If you wanted to be more cynical about it you could also put it down to a ref deliberately giving opposition teams more slack against us as a means of rewarding the (in their eyes) more disciplined team.

Or you could even take it further by saying they ignore penalties against us as a means of further punishing us for their perceived ill-discipline.

None are malicious "we need to stop the roosters from winning games" type conspiracy bullshit from NRL HQ that some of the more passionate nutters will tell you (a few used to swear black and blue it was ordered by Newscorp to punish us for the Super League war :lol:), it is just a sign of terrible coaching and training of NRL officials.

Danish

Referee
Salary cap is an easy target. You are a succesful club you have been to 5 GFs since 2002. Most fans dont want to hear about penalties from Roosters fans. Just keep looking forward to the next superstar you sign or the next GF or the next big thing you have coming through the ranks.

He didn't take a paycut. He signed for the roosters for about $200K with Penrith havinng to make up the $350k shortfall out of your salary cap.

Effectively the Panthers were paying most of Jennings salary in 2013, and he thanked them for it when presenting the trophy to the mass of Rooster fans on Spring St after the GF ;-)

betcats

Referee
He didn't take a paycut. He signed for the roosters for about $200K with Penrith havinng to make up the $350k shortfall out of your salary cap.

Effectively the Panthers were paying most of Jennings salary in 2013, and he thanked them for it when presenting the trophy to the mass of Rooster fans on Spring St after the GF ;-)

I doubt those figures. No matter what he did with the Rooster losing Jennings helped us a lot. He even admitted he was taking the piss with us in regards to training and effort. I was happy to see him turn it around, I didnt want yous to win the premiership obviously but it was good to see him live up to his potential.

Last edited:

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
Alright, so what I'm reading is we need to stop cheating the cap to get more penalties..

close the thread boys penalty differential issue sorted!

betcats

Referee
Alright, so what I'm reading is we need to stop cheating the cap to get more penalties..

close the thread boys penalty differential issue sorted!

You need to hand back your last 2 premierships as well and then maybe we will let you win a penalty count.

The Pelican

Juniors
Remarkable discipline from the Storm in the second half tonight to give away 0 penalties after giving away 6 in the first half. They were able lay all over us in the ruck, just as they did in the first half, and whenever they dropped the ball they were awarded a penalty for it.

Also, it's now the third time this year, (and second week in a row) that we haven't received a single penalty in the second half. This goes along with our other second half penalties counts of: 2, 1, 4, and 2.

It's just remarkable how every single week the teams we play just magically improve their discipline out of sight.

Absolutely amazing.

God-King Dean

Immortal
So what exactly are Rooster fans saying?

If it's based off tip sheets, what's that got to do with refs not giving Roosters penalties in the 2nd half?

Unless you are saying it is a flat out conspiracy against your team?

POPEYE

Coach
Remarkable discipline from the Storm in the second half tonight to give away 0 penalties after giving away 6 in the first half. They were able lay all over us in the ruck, just as they did in the first half, and whenever they dropped the ball they were awarded a penalty for it.

Also, it's now the third time this year, (and second week in a row) that we haven't received a single penalty in the second half. This goes along with our other second half penalties counts of: 2, 1, 4, and 2.

It's just remarkable how every single week the teams we play just magically improve their discipline out of sight.

Absolutely amazing.

Your mum named you well, the Roosters, along with most top teams factor penalties into what they do, if giving them away doesn't interfere with the game plan so be it. If you watched the game with both eyes you would have noticed the Roosters didn't start to overtake the Storm until they gave away penalties in the attempt to manhandle them . . . it almost stopped Melbourne in their tracks.