What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers Jersey Flegg/NSW Cup 2022 Discussion Thread

Original Name

Juniors
Luke Lewis has this thing where he reviews and previews NSW Cup games. He can't talk about the same individuals every game so he has to mix it up week to week but in the lastest one (previewing the games last weekend) he gave Thomas Jenkins a shout as this week's stand out guy in the Panthers side. In general he seems to favour Turuvu, Luke and Falls the most from what little I've watched of the series.

Iamback

Coach
Falls is the leading point scorer and 2nd most Try Assists and most kick metres
Turuva is top of run metres

So both good shouts

Jenkins and Hopgood were great last week

Flegg has had injuries but are back and with Ball guys to come in they should be strong over the back end of the year

Original Name

Juniors
Some more NSW cup stats for individuals.

Eddie Blacker has scored the most tries of any middle forward in the comp with 5 from 7 games though a couple have scored 4.
Blacker and Hopgood also have the most offloads of any players in the comp at 16 with third at 14. Which is definitely not the way Penrith play at the top grade. If they stop that at NRL level they've got it in their tool bag.
Lindsay Smith is third for decoy runs with Blacker only one decoy run behind him.
Puru has quite a huge amount of players in support runs compared to his game played which validated my thoughts of the way he puts himself into position to score or create tries being a bit similar to Walker who likes to push up the middle a lot naturally sniffing around for opportunity.
Despite missing last week Soni Luke has the equal second amount of line break assist equal with Falls. Something I imagine is quite strange for a hooker being so high up there where it's usually it's halves and fullbacks in the top 10. It'll be interesting to see how much of a drop off the middle forwards get in tries and line breaks with Kenny playing hooker compared to Luke over a few games.

Team Stats
Like the first grade side Penrith as a team are far ahead of others in kick metres and first in total possession percentage.
Unlike the first grade side the NSW cup side is first for offloads which is definitely not the way the first grade side plays.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
panthers comfortable wins in both Flegg and NSW Cup..

I thought our NSW Cup were a little off . Cruised to lead 18-0 and mistakes seemed to creep in. Mitch Kenny did not play well, couple of mistakes, got himself sin binned. I think Soni Luke May hold his spot for the Eels game.

The alternative may be bring another forward in and just run with Api. I thought J’Maine was as good as any of our forwards today and could be an option to provide another forward off the bench.

Last edited:

Original Name

Juniors
It was first vs second so a pretty high quality game for reggies. Good game to judge where these players are at if anyone wants to watch it.

Here's the link

And the SG Ball gf is available on there too on the NSW facebook live stream page under Junior Reps Grand Final Day.

Iamback

Coach
panthers comfortable wins in both Flegg and NSW Cup..

I thought our NSW Cup were a little off . Cruised to lead 18-0 and mistakes seemed to creep in. Mitch Kenny did not play well, couple of mistakes, got himself sin binned. I think Soni Luke May hold his spot for the Eels game.

The alternative may be bring another forward in and just run with Api. I thought J’Maine was as good as any of our forwards today and could be an option to provide another forward off the bench.

Not sure if you saw last week?

Kenny too was poor in that

Hopgood has been the best player all season

Kilkenny

Coach
Not sure if you saw last week?

Kenny too was poor in that

Hopgood has been the best player all season
I didn’t see last week. Was at St Mary’s today and he didn’t have a good game. Hopgood was close to our best today, he is just such a competitor, I don’t think coach Cleary will change things but J’Maine of the bench for 20-30 could be good value.

Kilkenny

Coach
I liked what I saw today from Eddie Blacker, really denting the defensive line on his hit ups. Had some really good carries, his minutes are the issue, but off the bench as th3 fourth rotation maybe not such an issue.

Kilkenny

Coach
Mitch Kenny seems to play better at NRL level than he does at NSW Cup level. If you didn’t know who our NRL players were at St Mary’s on Saturday you wouldn’t have picked Mitch as one. J’Maine for me was the standout forward he will be a good pickup for the new franchise.