What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers to become the Western Sydney Panthers?

BunniesMan

Immortal
I assume the move is to stop the A-league (or any other team) team calling themselves the Western Sydney Panthers.
If that's it that is simply ridiculous. No major sporting team is going to call themselves something that is already in use in that city.

murraymob

Coach
penrith will always be the panthers simply because it is a condition of the funding from the leagues club.Panthers is a brand and the football team is a arm of that brand

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I just don't get why clubs think this will make them more popular.

Melbourne AFL clubs with 1 exception haven't done that. Canterbury, Manly, Parramatta and St George aren't doing it. All those seem to be doing fine.

What kind of genius would wake up one day and be like "Gee I couldn't follow them while they were called "Penrith" because I loathe that suburb with every fibre of my being. But now they are "Western Sydney" I'll happily drive to PENRITH every fortnight to watch them play. I'll buy a jersey and a membership as well".

Dropping "Eastern Suburbs" didn't turn Easts into a powerhouse. The Dogs and Balmain tried it and saw it was stupid.

What happens if the Panthers do that and the next day Canterbury, Wests Tigers and Parramatta all want to do the same thing because they don't want to be overshadowed?

These silly namechanges to try to broaden your appeal have a history of failure, stop trying it.

Agree totally.

The best way to increase support is by winning, have a winning generation and kids will support the club and whn they become adults their kids will get on board.

bender

Juniors
Did I see Wests Panthers trademarked?

Now there is finally a team and name they can be proud of. I hope they return to the Red and Black and move back to their traditional home ground at Purtell Park.

Loudstrat

Coach
As I've said before Parramatta Panthers sounds good to me.
Other things that sound good to you include picking your nose and then eating snot, and preparing guinea pigs by wrapping gaffer tape around them.

Did I see Wests Panthers trademarked?

Now there is finally a team and name they can be proud of. I hope they return to the Red and Black and move back to their traditional home ground at Purtell Park.
Interesting point. Do they then become Wests wearing black and white?

I reckon the Magpies should get quite vocal - Tommy style - about warning Penruff of their turf. The Western Suburbs Magpies was a great League name and great club that embodied everything Penrith - with their rush to pokiemania and their Super League stupidity - could never aspire to.

Penrith should f*ck off and stop trying to be Wests. Penrith should go back to brown and white geniuss like they always were.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Other things that sound good to you include picking your nose and then eating snot, and preparing guinea pigs by wrapping gaffer tape around them.

Interesting point. Do they then become Wests wearing black and white?

I reckon the Magpies should get quite vocal - Tommy style - about warning Penruff of their turf. The Western Suburbs Magpies was a great League name and great club that embodied everything Penrith - with their rush to pokiemania and their Super League stupidity - could never aspire to.

Penrith should f*ck off and stop trying to be Wests. Penrith should go back to brown and white geniuss like they always were.

Great stuff, Loudstrat - keep up the good work -giving it to the superleague traitors -you can't buy the spirit of the magpies - they will always be the pennies.:cool:

beads6

First Grade
Yep Merge the f**kers. Sydney has too many teams. Not time for tradition and history. The NRL is a business now not a place for broke teams to continue to struggle and cost the game money.

sputneek

Juniors
You forgot about the Sydney Roosters. I guess because they are called Sydney they represent all of Sydney, including the West.

Yeah dickhead, cause Sydney Swans and Sydney FC prevented other AFL teams and A-League teams cause they encompass all of Sydney.

And don't forget about Souff Sydney, there must be no clubs South of the CBD since they represent all of the Souff, including St George and Cronulla.

DC_fan

Coach
It's not a conspiracy. They're just protecting their corporate branding.

They probably are. But where was this protection years ago. I live in the Penrith area and over the years I have seen many a business in the area using the Panther name. Penrith could have made a mint if they only had the rights to the name.

My feeling is that Penrith is looking to the future. The question is how soon that future will be?

franklin2323

Immortal
It's not a conspiracy. They're just protecting their corporate branding.

Exactly. Plenty of companies out here are Panther such & such. What's to stop an NBL Or A League team using the same? Given the local legend about the blue mountains panthers it's a chance.

Gus can't change it needs to be voted on. No one I know would agree to such a stupid idea. The great thing about Penrith is they are local. You change the name they lose appeal.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Exactly. Plenty of companies out here are Panther such & such. What's to stop an NBL Or A League team using the same? Given the local legend about the blue mountains panthers it's a chance.

Gus can't change it needs to be voted on. No one I know would agree to such a stupid idea. The great thing about Penrith is they are local. You change the name they lose appeal.
Name me one pro sporting team in any code that has ever taken a name already in use in that city. It has never happened in the history of australian sport. So to suggest it would happen is lunacy.

GWS didn't become the GWS Eels. The Storm didn't become the Melbourne Magpies. The new NRL team in Perth if and when it happens won't become the Perth Eagles.

It has never happened and it never would happen. It does not help your branding to be confused with an existing team if you're trying to build a serious team.

Loudstrat

Coach
This thread just goes to show how many idiots there are on this forum.

Great stuff, Loudstrat - keep up the good work -giving it to the superleague traitors -you can't buy the spirit of the magpies - they will always be the pennies.:cool:

I loved the old Magpies - good tough honest blokes with Victa across their chest - what's more western suburbs than what that encompasses - weekends mowing the lawn, drinking beer, and wanting to beat the sh*t out of waxheads?

In contrast, wtf is a Calphos or a Dahdah?

Yeah dickhead, cause Sydney Swans and Sydney FC prevented other AFL teams and A-League teams cause they encompass all of Sydney.

And don't forget about Souff Sydney, there must be no clubs South of the CBD since they represent all of the Souff, including St George and Cronulla.
That's why Clover Moore gave the Swans a ticker tape parade and not the Tigers, because they didnt represent all of Sydney ffs.

I think they got a duct tape parade at Lidcome instead.

Name me one pro sporting team in any code that has ever taken a name already in use in that city. It has never happened in the history of australian sport. So to suggest it would happen is lunacy.

GWS didn't become the GWS Eels. The Storm didn't become the Melbourne Magpies. The new NRL team in Perth if and when it happens won't become the Perth Eagles.

It has never happened and it never would happen. It does not help your branding to be confused with an existing team if you're trying to build a serious team.
Norths took the name of the Bear supermarket in Neutral Bay.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Brisbane Lions, AFL bought the name that was already in use for the soccer comp
That was different because it was part of a merger with a Melbourne team called the Lions. They were the Bears before that. No new team would call themselves the Panthers which is what was being suggested.
Norths took the name of the Bear supermarket in Neutral Bay.
I meant already in use BY A SPORTING TEAM.