What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Panthers to become the Western Sydney Panthers?

docbrown

Coach
Are you are assuming that in 2050 their will still be 9 NRL teams playing out of Sydney?

My thought is that we wont have nine Sydney teams in the competition by 2020 let alone by the middle of the century.

Well if you include Dragons then 9 seems to be the NRL model given that they don't want to leave any Sydney region without representation.

My opinion on that issue though is quite divisive as it involves (6 full time teams playing 12 games in Sydney, 1 team (Dragons) playing 6 games in Sydney and 2 other teams playing 7 games in Sydney) by using 1 extra week of games (25 games a season instead of 24).

The NRL "circle" is maintained but 2 other expansion cities would get 10 games each from those 2 Sydney clubs.

Flapper

First Grade
WTF are you talking about? Who or what are the Melbourne Tigers and what does it have to do with anything I said in the post you replied to.

You have to be the dumbest human being god put breath into. I answered your question, and if by chance the almighty BunniesDerp doesn't know I'm talking about, try Google. f**king bellend.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Ok so you have to back 71 years to a time when it would be decades until professionalism came into sport. My point stands.

Flapper

First Grade
How does it you empty headed merkinrag? You said "it has never happened in the history of Australian sport". Your point was wrong. As usual.

BunniesMan

Immortal
How does it you empty headed merkinrag? You said "it has never happened in the history of Australian sport". Your point was wrong. As usual.
That may have been an exaggeration but it hasn't happened since before Hitler came to power.

Not much of what happened in the early 30s applies to 2012. In the 21st century sport has professionalised. With things like "branding" becoming buzzwords, a professional sporting team in the 21st century will never adopt the same name as another team.

franklin2323

Immortal
Are you are assuming that in 2050 their will still be 9 NRL teams playing out of Sydney?

If not. The Western teams will be fine. The catchments are still expanding. Penrith have developments in Marsden Park. Penrith x 2. Pitt Town. There's more potential fans. Tigers have Oran Park. Bulldogs Hoxton Park. Parra Kellyville. So they will keep going bigger.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Catchments mean very little in a salary cap era.

FFS Parra and Penrith have massive catchments now and it hasn't stopped other teams from getting the cream of the crop out there.

Decades ago what was and wasn't your catchment was crucial because teams didn't have the resources to be everywhere. Now they do. I know Melbourne, Manly and Souths have people in Queensland and people in the Western suburbs looking for talent. I assume that's the case with most teams.

Catchments count for half of SFA these days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Catchment is more Important in terms of members and bums on seats and it would appear people in penriith's follow teams other than panthers. Not sure what Gus's plans are to turn that around. Reading their financial statements isn't cause for great hope.

WireMan

Bench
Catchment is more Important in terms of members and bums on seats and it would appear people in penriith's follow teams other than panthers. Not sure what Gus's plans are to turn that around. Reading their financial statements isn't cause for great hope.

Get the name into the schools. Offer free tickets to kids for games that won't sell out.

Sure Mum and Dad may support the Rabbits/Roosters etc. but if little Johnny who has lived all his life in Penrith wants to go the the game and the ticket is free, then the parents will go.

You have another supporter.

Panfas

Juniors
The ARC (Australian Rugby Championship for you BunniesMan) had the Canberra Vikings play in the ARC's only season in 2007. this is clearly a rip off of the Canberra Raiders. Yes not the same name but it is basically the same thing.

See the similarities?

150px-Canberra_Raiders.png

Canberra_Vikings_logo_page_image.jpg

Panfas

Juniors
More for you BunniesMan

- Geelong Cats [AFL] and Geelong Cats (also called Supercats) [NBL] 1982 - 1996
- St Kilda Saints [AFL] and St Kilda Saints (Also called Southern Melbourne Saints & Westside Saints) [NBL] 1979 - 1991
- Canberra Cosmos [NSL] 1995/96–2000/01 and Canberra Comets (Cricket) 19/98, 99/00. Not the same but close
- Preston Lions [NSL] 1980's and Fitzroy Lions [AFL]

Panfas

Juniors
They are based in different states however. We are mainly talking about same names in the same locations by different sports. Not common, but it happens

Flapper

First Grade
Not to mention when Sydney Olympic moved to Cronulla and called themselves the Olympic Sharks.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Tigers was used By 4 teams at the same time.

Melbourne, balmain/wests, Richmond and Tasmania
Not at the same time. Australian state cricket teams only formally took nicknames in 1995. They weren't the Tasmanian Tigers before then.

As for Richmond and Balmain, that's a century of tradition in both clubs in a time when Melbourne and Sydney were basically different countries. Few people in Richmond had heard of Balmain and vice versa.

Yes the Melbourne Tigers is an example of a different sport taking the same brand as another sport in the same city. But even that is 80 years ago, it would simply never happen in the professional era.

Professional teams these days try to build their own brands, they don't try to ride the coattails of other teams in other codes. Otherwise the Storm would be the Melbourne Magpies and GWS would be the GWS Eels.

thorson1987

Coach
East campbelltown eagles and eaglevale st Andrews eagles both play in the WSDJRL

Minto cobras and Macquarie cobras (Macquarie Cobras are now defunct but I did play against them when I was younger when I played for minto)