What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith plan to axe six players to ake way for Terry Campese

griffo346

First Grade
0,5001,6582296,00.jpg
Campese ... the man of the moment in hot pursuit. Gary Ramage

Penrith plan to axe six players to ake way for Terry Campese

By Dean Ritchie
April 17, 2009
Penrith are poised to axe six first-grade players to make a full-blown tilt at Canberra star Terry Campese.
The Daily Telegraph reports the Panthers are preparing to offer $350,000 a year for Campese, who comes off contract at Canberra at the end of next season.
The news comes as Penrith prepare to play Brisbane in front of an expected 18,000 fans at CUA Stadium, where they will come up against a player they let leave in NSW Origin half Peter Wallace.
It is understood the players under pressure at Penrith are Keith Peters, Matthew Bell, Maurice Blair, Junior Moors, Joel Romelo and Andrew Emelio. They have played a combined 142 NRL games.
It is understood cutting the six players would save Penrith between $500,000 and $600,000, with a large portion of that money to be directed at Campese.
Panthers chief executive Mick Leary was reluctant to discuss player movement but did confirm an interest in Campese.
"We'll certainly be looking at Terry," Leary said. "He is a very good player. He has great vision, he runs and he's a tryscorer. He's the complete footballer."
Penrith officials are also keen to watch the development of young Wade Graham, chosen at five-eighth to mark Broncos champion Darren Lockyer on Friday night.
A source close to Campese described Canberra's initial offer as "insulting" for a playmaker who last year won World Cup selection and is the NRL's in-form player.
However, Raiders chairman John McIntyre said Canberra were hell-bent on retaining Campese.
"We're confident we will keep him," McIntyre said. "Terry is a Queanbeyan boy. He is a rare talent you develop and you don't want to lose. He's our No.1 priority."
Campese and his manager Jim Banaghan were unavailable for comment.
Penrith's plans developed further with news that prop Petero Civoniceva, who turns 33 next week, will remain at the club in 2010. The Panthers took up the third-year option on his contract.
Civoniceva will line up against his former side Brisbane and will have a huge bearing on the result.
"He is someone who has had a massive influence on the club, both on and off the field," Penrith coach Matt Elliott said.
"He has certainly showed that he can contribute to the club in a lot of ways. I have run out of accolades for him."
Leary said Friday night's match will be a defining moment in his club's season.
"I think this match will determine how we go in 2009," he said. "It will give us a good benchmark as to where we stand."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25344024-23214,00.html

mxlegend99

Referee
When i read the thread title i was worried. When i read the players listed... well the only blokes i don't want to lose from that group are Matt Bell and Joel Romelo. Terry Campese would be a great signing. Move Wade Graham to halfback and they could be the NSW halves in a year or two. Terry Campese will probably be there this year.

Copperhead

Juniors
Jees that's tough on Romelo. At least the others have had their chance to impress (or not) in first grade,

but Joel hasn't even had a shot. He's just about the only one standing up in the 20's.

I think that would be a very poor call to let him go.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well the Under 20's are yet to even win a game... I'm not sure he is even close to the form he was in last season. Last year he was single handedly winning games.

t1tan

Juniors
Surely Brad Tighe deserves a mention as well?
Im sure the roosters are interested,they seem keen on signing the islander boys from western sydney.

ashton

Juniors
Surely Brad Tighe deserves a mention as well?
Im sure the roosters are interested,they seem keen on signing the islander boys from western sydney.

Adam Woolnonononononough deserves a mention as well, where paying him 240k to play for Windsor.

mxlegend99

Referee
That's a pretty tough criteria.... having to win games single-handedly or move on.
I'm not suggesting he has to win games on his own to be kept. I just don't believe he is doing aswell this season as he was last season. I was expecting him to be absolutely destroying the opposition in the Under 20's to demand first grade selection.

On current form it would probably take injuries to Aiton and Masada for him to crack first grade. IMO we'd look at a non hooker utility before Romelo.

Eastern Panther

Juniors
If this is true (and consider by who and where it was written) then it would be a great signing. Looking at that list it would basically come down to Campese for Romelo, and who in their right mind wouldn't do that? As some have already commented, if we could only load a few other underachievers in with the other six then we'd all be jumping for joy.

Obviously this story has only come out today because both Penrith and the Raiders are playing tonight, but is there any other info on potential signings? Considering the way the side is shaping up there probably aren't too many other needs if we were to somehow get him. Prop and a good outside back (assuming Waddell can do something in 12 months) are our other two big needs.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah headline infuriated me. Agree Bell and Romelo are the only players I REALLY care about holding onto. Bell has been my surprise packet of the year. Romelo deserves a shot after last season.
FPuletua will be retired next season won't he? So we'll have some cash there, ditch Tighe (I think Woolnough for depth purposes only) and supposedly we'd have 600k to spend. Grab a player like Campese and we have money to spend on a quality outside back.
If Graham can play as a half we'd have great halves. OTHERWISE I'd rather us just go after a proper halfback for this sort of money.

Just when you start to believe that maybe Elliott isnt a complete tool, something like this crops up.

most people seem to think elliott is a pretty good bloke. he just cant coach for sh*t though.

that said i dont see how this makes him look bad. If there is a chance to get Campese you have to go for it.

murraymob

Coach
no where does it say penrith will not be signing any of those players.Dean ritchie is guesing.He does not mention frank pulutua who i think is un signed for next year .Campese is a class footballer no doubt but i think his offers from a few clubs will be in the 400k a year bracket

bigfoot

Juniors
He won't come to Penrith and play under a coach he knows has absolutely NO idea.
We can't catch, we've got absolutely nothing in attack, and in particular still NOTHING on the 5th tackle, as shown in the first half of this match we have already nearly lost.

f**k him off, f**k Nathan Smith off, and get rid of: (no idea how long these players are on contract though)
- Brad Tighe (sh*t defender, never rated him)
- Keith Peters (not a first-grader)
- Adam Woolnough (has done nothing since coming to the club)
- Maurice Blair (lazy, eats too many hamburgers)
- Junior Moors (never rated him unlike others)
- Frank Puletua (can't catch, 1000 years old)
- Geoff Daniela (never being used anyway, injured too much)

Use whatever money is left for:
- Make Terry Campese a big offer, unless a quality halfback comes on the market.
- Sign a coach who has a f**king clue.
- Upgrade Michael Gordon's contract till 2020.
- Upgrade Luke Lewis' contract till 2020.
- Upgrade Petero's contract till 2020 (his heart will keep him going forever).
- Sign any quality props that are available to help poor Petero out.
- Sign a quality winger.

Simple, really.

That would hopefully give us a team resembling this:

1. Coote
2. Gordon
3. Jennings
4. Elford/Waddell when ready
5. Winger from above/Tia Kilifi
6. Campese
7. Graham
8. Civoniceva
9. Aiton
10. Prop from above
11. Waterhouse
12. Pritchard
13. Lewis
Bench
14. Sammut (super sub)
15. Matthew Bell/Tim Grant
16. Second prop from above
17. Gavin Cooper

Coach: Someone who isn't sh*t.

Great team, IMO.

Last edited:

murraymob

Coach
campese money can be made from letting pritchard and pulutua go.How long can this team carry pritchard all he did tonight was catch and pass .Did not hit the line hard once all night

bigfoot

Juniors
campese money can be made from letting pritchard and pulutua go.How long can this team carry pritchard all he did tonight was catch and pass .Did not hit the line hard once all night

REALLY!? :shock:
When was that? Cause I didn't see him catch a ball all night...

Fibroman

First Grade
pritchard was suffering from a bad dose of too much game time. he played at least 15 mins longer than usual.

Latest posts