What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith Trials Live Stream

Forty20

First Grade
It is with a bit of trepidation that I announce this but I will be attempting to live stream all 3 grades on Saturday. I say 'with trepidation' because the cheapest guaranteed performance, entry-level method I could find to do so would set me back around $4,000 USD in hardware only (hardware encoder + 4G Bonding device) before even factoring in the multiple 4G connections needed. I have grafted together an alternate solution that is far less reliable, and thus prone to the awful phenomenon of stream-skipping, but I hope it will suffice in lieu of any official option.

If the live stream proves to be a complete disaster there will still be video highlights of all three grades but fingers crossed for at least a remotely decent stream.

The stream will be viewable on my YouTube channel, Forty20's Amateur Hour.

In other news I am surprised and more than a bit chuffed to announce that the Round 1 Harold Matthews Highlight video has cracked 1000 views (with over 500 views each for the SG Ball and Holden Cup trial and over 900 for the NSW Cup trial). I am fully aware that this is less than a pittance in the scheme of YouTube videos but the response has far surpassed my expectations given how little I advertised the videos.

Barring any sort of crazy happenings in my life I plan to make the District Reps videos a regular feature except for unrealistic stuff like the SG Ball trip to Perth. I just wanted to say thanks to you merkins for watching, sharing and for a handful of you crazy bastards subscribing, it is great to see people taking an interest in the junior grades at our club. :D

Forty20

First Grade
I really wanted to be able to ensure a quality stream, and if I were provided with fixed Ethernet line (would probably need to be a synchronous connection i.e 10Mbps download/10Mbps upload) I definitely have the hardware to make it happen but alas I am left to rely on USB-redundancy (switching between 2 USB 4G connections) instead of a bonded solution that provides far superior quality.

Like I said, fingers crossed, but I am really excited to see how it all goes - although I am likely to be cussing my heart out on Saturday! :p

spiderdan

Bench
good work, mate.

is the club going to provide any assistance for your project?

i know fox show a few pre-season fixtures live. would be nice to see eels games in there, but if not, that the club helps people like yourself with this stuff.

spiderdan

Bench
ps. i hope you can monetise your feed, or have a donation page set up so that you are compensated for the work you're doing.

Forty20

First Grade
good work, mate.

is the club going to provide any assistance for your project?

i know fox show a few pre-season fixtures live. would be nice to see eels games in there, but if not, that the club helps people like yourself with this stuff.

ps. i hope you can monetise your feed, or have a donation page set up so that you are compensated for the work you're doing.

Nah, no aid from the club although I hope this weekend can serve as a prod in the club's backside for the 2016 pre-season.

I am hesitant to monetise any of my highlight videos (everything so far has been ad-free and will be continue to be so), and as a result the live stream, as I am using someone else's product and I have zero clue on how Fair Use comes into play. I do plan on evolving stuff like the Rookie Watch posts into a video series so original content like that I have no qualms in monetising.

I suppose donations are something I can explore but I think that is best left for another day.

Gronk

Staff member
Reminds me of when the Goodies opened a pirate radio station off the coast of England.

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 0225-goodies.jpg
    0225-goodies.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
I will be loading up your Live Stream on my new 55inch Smart TV...Should be fantastic.

Have you ever spoken to anyone at the Club about your capabilities? With the expanding digital market I'm sure they would have some sort of part time gig for you.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Don't monetize it if only over youtube 40!!

What you need is a separate webpage, and a 'donations' box to support the webpage. The streaming would all be linked through your page [hosted on youtube], and so any donations are to support the hosting of the page, and the other content [ie, a disclaimer on any video saying you don't own rights to it].

But LOOOOVE the concept. Thanks!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Just a word of advice mate an you may have already checked this out but be aware of any copyright breaches.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Onya 40 this club is lucky to have dedicated fans like yourself. The club is crazy if they don't get you involved in some sort of capacity.

Kornstar

Coach
You are awesome Forty!

I'll be in the US so I will be attempting to watch in my hotel over wi-fi.

Forty20

First Grade
NRL

1. Matt Moylan
2. George Jennings
3. Dean Whare
4. Jamal Idris
5. Dave Simmons
6. Jamie Soward
7. Peter Wallace
8. Jeremy Latimore
9. James Segeyaro
10. Sam Mckendry
11. Bryce Cartwright
12. Lewis Brown
13. Elijah Taylor

INTERCHANGE

14. Apisai Koroisau
17. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
16. Murdoch-Masila
19. Brent Kite
15. Sika Manu
18. Robert Jennings

NSW CUP Squad

Kieran Moss
Eddie Aiono
Will Smith
Nu’u Akeripa
Christian Crichton
Isaac John
Adrian Davis
Leilani Latu
Liam Ayoub
Rodney Coates
Chris Smith
Nathan Smith
Andy Saunders
James Fisher-Harris
Ray Leosa
Matt Eisenhuth
Sam Hollis
Wellington Albert
Pat Hollis
Reece Goldsmith

NYC Squad

Tyrone May
Maliko Filino
Brent Naden
Jack Nelson
Fuimanau Elise
Logan Geyer
Soni Luke
Moses Leota
Sione Katoa
Oliver Clark
Elkander Fairouz
Dylan Fuad
Paea Pua
Josh Grant
Dylan Edwards
Kade Ellis
Soni Hala
Stanton Albert
Thompson Tuigamala
Shane Kiel

Clicky

Probably no where better to put this. Here are the three grades for Penrith. Our team lists are due out this afternoon sometime according to the club's twitter feed.

Forty20

First Grade
I'll be manning the camera so text updates will be extremely limited. It also means that production value equals zero. I've already discovered that my camera annoyingly outputs the shooting mode logo (E.G Auto, iAutio, Manual, Scene etc) to the stream for some confounded reason. I have tried to work around it to no gain so apologies in advance.

Latest posts