What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v roosters

Crashtest

Juniors
He dropped Staines who had not played in a loss. When there's a clear issue in the team the results shouldn't stop you fixing it.

Our starting side is getting the job done. Not our bench.
Dropping Staines was for different reasons though. To’o as our best winger had to return to the side once fit, so a player always had to be dropped. May showed he was a better FG winger than Staines, so the tough call was made.

Re the bench, who would you drop and replace with to make the team better?

Iamback

Coach
Dropping Staines was for different reasons though. To’o as our best winger had to return to the side once fit, so a player always had to be dropped. May showed he was a better FG winger than Staines, so the tough call was made.

Re the bench, who would you drop and replace with to make the team better?

That last part is the issue. People say the bench is bad yet can't list what makes it better

Crashtest

Juniors
Basically yeah this.
But a team is judged on results of the whole team, not parts of the team. Winning 15 of 16 means the whole team is doing its job, which is to win footy games.

What changes would you make that would make the team stronger?

CCJohnC

Juniors
My comments Penrith biased I must say I thought Taukeiaho's try was from a forward pass also the pass to Walker in first half looked very dubious, As far as Crichton's send off the players head hit the ground = off. Interesting in the Fox TV (ie Blocker Roach) commnetary and Footy Show today on Ch 9 its all about the Rooster's hardly any comments about Panthers. Sydney TV and Press??

Iamback

Coach
My comments Penrith biased I must say I thought Taukeiaho's try was from a forward pass also the pass to Walker in first half looked very dubious, As far as Crichton's send off the players head hit the ground = off. Interesting in the Fox TV (ie Blocker Roach) commnetary and Footy Show today on Ch 9 its all about the Rooster's hardly any comments about Panthers. Sydney TV and Press??

I haven't seen the replay but live I had an issue with all 3 of their tries.

Had we of lost you probably hear more of it

tripster

Juniors
I was at the game, and was shocked to hear the crap that Robinson was going on with in the commentary about how the referees robbed the Roosters.

A tonne of decisions went the Roosters way that I was shocked were not pulled up. Sitili hit Kikau with a shoulder to the head in the first half. Last season that would have been a sin bin at the very least. Kikau luckily passed his HIA but other than going on report nothing happened.

The Sam Walker try that came from a mid field break created by Manu was an old fashioned shepherd (as compared to a modern obstruction). Manu ran around his own player and it clearly prevented Cleary from making a tackle, Fish blew up about it when it happened, but the video ref didn’t even notice.

I agree that the lifting tackle penalty was a poor call against the Roosters but they got a lot of very favourable calls that game.

snickers007

Juniors
If we need defence Kenny plays longer.
If we need impact Leinu

Yep. Add in that the Roosters were playing in behind the ruck, we needed defenders with better lateral movement. And that's probably Spencer's worst attribute.

If we could have forced an error and got some possession, he would have got more minutes. But we just didn't have the ball.

Iamback

Coach
Yep. Add in that the Roosters were playing in behind the ruck, we needed defenders with better lateral movement. And that's probably Spencer's worst attribute.

If we could have forced an error and got some possession, he would have got more minutes. But we just didn't have the ball.

Which is the good thing with having 3 different body types on the bench. It allows us to adapt on the run.

Sorensen aside the other 3 are averaging close to the same minutes

BxTom

Bench
I was at the game, and was shocked to hear the crap that Robinson was going on with in the commentary about how the referees robbed the Roosters.

A tonne of decisions went the Roosters way that I was shocked were not pulled up. Sitili hit Kikau with a shoulder to the head in the first half. Last season that would have been a sin bin at the very least. Kikau luckily passed his HIA but other than going on report nothing happened.

The Sam Walker try that came from a mid field break created by Manu was an old fashioned shepherd (as compared to a modern obstruction). Manu ran around his own player and it clearly prevented Cleary from making a tackle, Fish blew up about it when it happened, but the video ref didn’t even notice.

I agree that the lifting tackle penalty was a poor call against the Roosters but they got a lot of very favourable calls that game.
The video ref was Klein. He had to have seen it, but being Penrith, he ignored it.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench

Unfortunately the press do that. You want to read or listen to how we played, instead you get a bunch of agenda driven crap.

Whino

Bench

He blows smoke to deflect from the real issues. The pliable media buy in. Next week he will get a bit more favour from the refs.

Panther Pete

Juniors

In addition to all your points above the Roosters try in the second half was scored with their player dropping the ball in the tackle. In the press conference they put it to Ivan that Robinson was claiming all the decisions went against them and he just responded ‘I didn’t see it that way.’

martielang

Bench
Let’s stop with this woe is me dribble. I don’t think there’s any agenda against us whether that’s media/referees. We get a ton of good calls/media.

We are also pumping teams week in, week out. Other teams supporters are always going to be dirty and blow some calls out of proportion to justify why their team can’t match us.

I don’t really have much issue with the bench, more the use of it. Not sure why Leniu and Smugs man aren’t getting more minutes. Give them the opportunity to play some serious minutes.

WestyLife

First Grade
But a team is judged on results of the whole team, not parts of the team. Winning 15 of 16 means the whole team is doing its job, which is to win footy games.

What changes would you make that would make the team stronger?

Staines disproves that pretty well. In multiple games there's been a noticeable drop off when the bench is on. Either they need to be better or someone else has to come in. If size is an issue Eisenhuth, blooding rookies like soneone mentioned Turuva and Jenkins.

maple_69

Bench
I’d not be opposed to Turuva getting a few games off the bench in place of Salmon. We could take a look at what Tago can do with a 30 min stint as an edge forward and how Turuva goes at centre/wing. Worst case it’s a fizzer, we revert and have a better idea on where our 23/24 edge options are at. Best case we upgrade the team. A more dynamic and mobile guy replacing Martin after halftime against tired defenders could be deadly.

Fangs

Coach
What to make of Parramatta i do not know.

Beat the best teams. Then go out and lose to cannon fodder like Souths.
Let’s stop with this woe is me dribble. I don’t think there’s any agenda against us whether that’s media/referees. We get a ton of good calls/media.

We are also pumping teams week in, week out. Other teams supporters are always going to be dirty and blow some calls out of proportion to justify why their team can’t match us.

I don’t really have much issue with the bench, more the use of it. Not sure why Leniu and Smugs man aren’t getting more minutes. Give them the opportunity to play some serious minutes.

Its time to change your avatar.

Iamback

Coach

I'd play both in NSW Cup this week for match fitness.

As for actual bench mins

Spencer ave 24
Salmon ave 26
Kenny 30
Sorensen 36

Which given the big minutes the starters play is an even number. Ivan prefers to cut workload instead of resting guys. So you would think that even without injuries they will get more minutes in the lead up to the finals

Latest posts