What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's draw this year...

Vic Mackey

Referee
If the panthers win the comp it will be entirely their own doing. Once you get to the finals there's no easy draw.

Ive been one of the Main people saying theyve had a blessed draw. They've definetly had every leg up possible to get there. However if they get to or win the grandfinal it will be nothing but congratulations. If they do limp in out in one or two weeks though IMO it will prove all the doubters right

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
If the panthers win the comp it will be entirely their own doing. Once you get to the finals there's no easy draw.

Ive been one of the Main people saying theyve had a blessed draw. They've definetly had every leg up possible to get there. However if they get to or win the grandfinal it will be nothing but congratulations. If they do limp in out in one or two weeks though IMO it will prove all the doubters right

Here here.

MaxPower

Juniors
If penrith make the finals and don't win a game, i'll consider the season a success. It would still be a better year than 90% in our history.

Wizardman

First Grade
The draw has been kind to them no doubt. But Penrith have made their own luck and deserve to be in contention.

RWB

Bench

You Penrith hater you!

maple_69

Bench

This is spot on. Regardless of an 'easy' draw you still have to win the games to make the finals. Many teams don't. Penrith usually don't. Once there you need to beat the best. I don't think this is our year but running through to week 2/3 of the finals would be great experience for the next few years.

RWB

Bench
If penrith make the finals and don't win a game, i'll consider the season a success. It would still be a better year than 90% in our history.

The emergence of Moylan as a real class player, the blooding of Cartwright along with the shoring up of young talent in Whare (in pre-season), Mansour, Peachey & Segeyaro (in pre-season) is what should make this year a success not where they finish. Finals footy would be a bonus.

The media & some fans keep talking about how the 5 year plan is ahead of schedule but I don't believe it is. Gus has recruited a solid team, a team that will compete every week. I think the goal was always to 1) build a good culture by creating a competitive squad and then; 2) Use that strong culture and competitive environment to filter through and develop the elite talent that's in the lower grades.

I think Gus is exactly where he wants to be, where he always envisaged to be. It's now Cleary's job to bring through the youngsters and then up to the youngsters to start taking the positions of the players who were brought in to do a job, ala Lewis Brown, Brent Kite, Sika Manu, Peter Wallace etc. It's Gus's vision that the players who do that will win the club their next premiership.

Penrith's roster ranks somewhere around the fringes of the 8, their position right now is IMO largely inflated due to the fact that they've had a blessed draw & weren't affected by SOO.

Unfortunately like any die hard supporter though there's a few delusions of grandeur, not that many of them will admit it though. Penrith fans on here are caught between what they know to be true: that this team is just a piece of a much larger picture in Gus's grand plan and what they hope to be true that this team may just be good enough to win the premiership.

The unfortunate part is that they're all sitting on the fence, on one hand calling their position on the ladder inflated & deceptive of their real ability is offensive and trolling whilst on the other hand none of them actually believe they're going to do much this year. Sounds like the same thing to me, one's just phrased a lot nicer...

mxlegend99

Referee
Only one team can win the competition. How does not winning it mean your place on the ladder is a lie? It could potentially be a team from 8th place who wins it. That wouldn't mean the 7 teams that finished above them in the regular season weren't deserving of their spots.

Panthers have earned their place on the ladder by winning most of the games they were meant to, and some of the games no one rated them much chance to win. Until the 14 teams below them do the same, they don't deserve a spot above the Panthers.

People blame the draw but 90% of the draw is nearly identical for each team. Every team blaming our draw has lost games that Penrith won. People then focus on single games to prove they're pretenders when the odds were stacked against them. How is losing a game after a short turnaround with 5+ players unavailable proof a team are pretenders?

Panthers aren't the best or second best team in the competition. But based on form this year, no team below them can argue they deserve to be above them either. They might be better when in form, but if they only play well every second week, they don't deserve to be above a team that gives its all nearly every week.

Stop wasting your time MX. Some Panthers fans are repeatedly getting trolled and keep biting.

All we want this year is to make the finals and we will

soc123_au

Staff member
The emergence of Moylan as a real class player, the blooding of Cartwright along with the shoring up of young talent in Whare (in pre-season), Mansour, Peachey & Segeyaro (in pre-season) is what should make this year a success not where they finish. Finals footy would be a bonus.

The media & some fans keep talking about how the 5 year plan is ahead of schedule but I don't believe it is. Gus has recruited a solid team, a team that will compete every week. I think the goal was always to 1) build a good culture by creating a competitive squad and then; 2) Use that strong culture and competitive environment to filter through and develop the elite talent that's in the lower grades.

I think Gus is exactly where he wants to be, where he always envisaged to be. It's now Cleary's job to bring through the youngsters and then up to the youngsters to start taking the positions of the players who were brought in to do a job, ala Lewis Brown, Brent Kite, Sika Manu, Peter Wallace etc. It's Gus's vision that the players who do that will win the club their next premiership.

Penrith's roster ranks somewhere around the fringes of the 8, their position right now is IMO largely inflated due to the fact that they've had a blessed draw & weren't affected by SOO.

Unfortunately like any die hard supporter though there's a few delusions of grandeur, not that many of them will admit it though. Penrith fans on here are caught between what they know to be true: that this team is just a piece of a much larger picture in Gus's grand plan and what they hope to be true that this team may just be good enough to win the premiership.

The unfortunate part is that they're all sitting on the fence, on one hand calling their position on the ladder inflated & deceptive of their real ability is offensive and trolling whilst on the other hand none of them actually believe they're going to do much this year. Sounds like the same thing to me, one's just phrased a lot nicer...

I actually agree with most of this. The only point I don't is about the fence sitting. I can only speak for myself, but I am confident most Penrith supporters are of a similar mind. We are not reacting to this thread because we believe we are frontrunners to win the comp. We are annoyed that the players we support who for the most part have punched above their weight are being labeled frauds. It is insulting to their efforts to suggest they are pretenders. They are a very good team, by very good I mean that there is no real weak links & everyone puts in.

gUt

Coach
Personally enjoying Penriths rise this year. We've been waiting for the Western Sydney teams to get their act together. Pennys have a group of good young players and I hope they keep going well.

pantherz9103

First Grade
I am conservative with my expectations. Top 8 finish and win a finals game and I'd still be more than satisfied with the season.

Top contenders are Manly, Dogs, Roosters, Souffs and possibly the Warriors if they could play to their potential. If we could beat any of these teams when it matters most we'll do very well.

broncos2010

Juniors
I am conservative with my expectations. Top 8 finish and win a finals game and I'd still be more than satisfied with the season.

Top contenders are Manly, Dogs, Roosters, Souffs and possibly the Warriors if they could play to their potential. If we could beat any of these teams when it matters most we'll do very well.

All the serious clubs want to push for the title while small time club like panthers making the finals is like winning the NRL Trophy :lol::lol:

pantherz9103

First Grade
All the serious clubs want to push for the title while small time club like panthers making the finals is like winning the NRL Trophy :lol::lol:

Trophy is the goal but it may be more realistic in the next few years. I wouldn't mind building towards it and having a few really good years rather than winning it out of nowhere like they did in 2003 and quickly falling back into the abyss. That said, I won't complain if they went all the way, just that the two times they won the comp they fell away badly due to mismanagement of a premiership side.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors

I am perhaps the biggest detractor of Penrith's easy draw this year. However, calling them a "small time club" is just factually incorrect.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-top-20-most-valuable-australian-sports-brands-2013-12

The Penrith Moylans are the countries most valuable sporting brand, with a brand value of 46M. The next most valuable is 39M. They are a brand on the rise. It's a shame their free ride this year has delegitimised all the good work their management has done.

Valheru

Coach
Penrith have had some luck this year. I hope it continues. I hope we make the finals and face teams hit hard by injury and suspension. I hope we make the grand final and receive the benefit of dodgy call after dodgy call, and i hope it's against the roosters.

That wouldn’t be enough, we would still win comfortably.