What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'People who bag players on internet forums arent real fans' tim sheens

Vic Mackey

Referee
Fitzy blitzes fans in the proper forum

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/05/22/2906583.htm?site=news

Rugby league fans on forums can be harsher than judges on reality TV, but Wests Tigers veteran Daniel Fitzhenry is targeted more than almost any other player in the NRL.

Even when he was a premiership player at the Tigers in 2005, Fitzhenry copped a pasting from supporters, and things have only gotten worse this season since he returned from the English Super League.

Every week on Tigers websites he is blasted as "pathetic" and belittled as being Tim Sheens's "love child".

But as his match-winning performance against Newcastle on Friday night would attest, he has always been a class act.

Despite the constant hate mail he receives on the net, the backline utility has played more than 100 first grade games and in atrocious conditions at EnergyAustralia Stadium, played a courageous role at full-back in a make-or-break game for the Tigers.

In pouring rain and driving wind, Fitzhenry had the toughest job of all at the back.

He defused of a number of towering kicks that saved his side from a fifth straight defeat.

"I don't read the forums, there's always someone who's got something bad to say about me," he said.

"I think everyone goes through that. But I just do my job and I feel like I'm part of the team and that's it. I don't read them so I don't really care.

"(The weather on Friday night) was just one of those things. The ball is going to be slippery and they're going to test you out. You've just got to do your best, I was lucky it went my way.

"Taking some of those kicks was important. I drop the ball there and they get another set on our line."

Sheens said supporters who continually attack Fitzhenry were put to shame as the makeshift number one lodged in his claim for a permanent posting at full-back.

"Fitzhenry had a great game at the back, he's been criticised heavily amongst fans, who call themselves fans. They give him plenty, but you try and catch a ball in that (Friday's conditions), he did great," Sheens said.

"Fitzhenry took a ball there that I don't think too many would, one of those high balls with the wind behind the kicker. It was a screamer and he swallowed it."

After two years with Hull KR in England, Fitzhenry returned to Tigertown hoping his experience could help Wests to its first final series since 2005.

Rumours during the week suggested Canberra were interested in his services for next year, but Fitzhenry said he has not spoken to anyone.

He is hoping the Tigers have now put their embarrassing loss to South Sydney behind them and, whether it is at full-back or elsewhere, the 30-year-old is determined to see Wests build together back-to-back wins.

"Especially at this time of year. If you want to make a run to the semis, you've got to start getting back to back wins," he said.

stuke

Bench
surely Tim has more important things to worry about than the bagging that Fitzy gets on Internet forums....

How was he in the other 10 games we played this year Tim?

He was crap, that's what he was.

He is a dead average player who was bound to get it right once this year. If he plays that well for the rest of the year I'll happily stop cringing each time his name is on the team sheet each Tuesday.

As for the "real fans" crack, don't forget that we pay your salary and for what you've dished up in the past 5 seasons, you should be handing most of it back.

westie

Bench
Fitzy is just that player that cops the brunt of the fans' frustrations. Sure, he's been average at best and is playing out wide when he should definitely be in the middle but the sh*t he cops is ludicrous. The dude plays on our right wing and is blamed for the team losing... this would be fine... if we actually ever played to the right. More often than not, the player in this position for our team does not encounter a single scoring chance in the game. Most fans on forums are completely incapable of forming their own opinions or, it seems, actually analysing a match.

The real issue, though, is Sheens effectively declaring the clubs' most passionate supporters "not real fans". This isn't the first time he's done it and, for mine, it shows how completely out of touch he is with the only people that actually matter at the end of the day. Probably worse, it shows how self-serving he is. No one wants him, every one is unhappy. He thinks it's his club and due to spineless, incompetent directors and a patsy CEO, that's probably not too far from the truth.

Direct

Juniors
Fitzy had a good game at fullback, in much the same Ryan had a good game at fullback against the Eels after Moltzen moved to halfback to cover for Lui. It's going to take more than one game to prove the knockers wrong.

He isn't as bad as most make him out to be, but still, there are better options.. Fitzi has already peaked, and it just doesn't cut it for a full time 1st grader... There are better prospects that we could be blooding right now..

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The real issue, though, is Sheens effectively declaring the clubs' most passionate supporters "not real fans". This isn't the first time he's done it and, for mine, it shows how completely out of touch he is with the only people that actually matter at the end of the day. Probably worse, it shows how self-serving he is. No one wants him, every one is unhappy. He thinks it's his club and due to spineless, incompetent directors and a patsy CEO, that's probably not too far from the truth.

Spot on.

Sheens is pathetic and these quotes only confirm his disgusting arrogance.

Tim has been waiting for 10 rounds to write this article.

Paullyboy

Coach
I watched with great interest last night to see why you guys hate him that much. To be honest, I didn't think he was that bad - BUT - this article is making out that he had a good (if not great) game. I definitely couldn't agree with that summary of his performance.

innsaneink

Referee
Didnt Sheens say the same thing about J Mo last year aswell?

See my sig.

Paullyboy said:
I watched with great interest last night to see why you guys hate him that much. To be honest, I didn't think he was that bad - BUT - this article is making out that he had a good (if not great) game. I definitely couldn't agree with that summary of his performance.

The thing is, he cops praise for just doing his job, when he has a fair to good game (which is rare) he is lauded and patted on the head, its like a parent praising lil johnny in the u/6's

gallagher

Juniors
As Ink said, giving a bloke huge wraps for just doing his job really says something about him as a player. That article is embarrassing to both of them.

N.C.

Juniors
Sheens said supporters who continually attack Fitzhenry were put to shame as the makeshift number one lodged in his claim for a permanent posting at full-back.
This is the part of the article that frustrates me the most.

Ryan has played at least half a dozen games at the back, sometimes with with pretty outstanding results.

Fitzy plays one decent "must-win" game, and all of a sudden he's staking his claim for a permanent gig at the back?

adamkungl

Immortal
You know full would if it was physically possible, Sheens would name this side:

Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry
Fitzhenry