What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Perth must get their own NRL side: Tallis

Which should come first?

• Total voters

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.watoday.com.au/rugby-league/perth-must-get-their-own-nrl-side-tallis-20100521-w0zr.html

Perth must get their own NRL side: Tallis
JUSTIN CHADWICK
May 21, 2010 - 1:51PM

Rugby league great Gorden Tallis and South Sydney prop Ben Ross have urged the NRL to include a Perth-based side in the competition by 2013 if the planned expansion goes ahead.

The WA Rugby League’s campaign for a local NRL side has been boosted by a pledge of more than $80 million by the Western Australia state government to upgrade ME Bank Stadium.

Tallis, who notched 17 State of Origin games for Queensland and 214 NRL matches over 13 seasons for the Dragons and Broncos, said rugby league needed a Perth team to become a truly national competition.

The WA Reds played two seasons in the NRL in the mid-90s but were shut down in 1997 after defecting to the rival Super League.

"(League boss) Dave Gallop did talk about expanding our game in 2013 (when the new TV rights start) and I think Perth, in my opinion, is the No.1 place to come. I just think it makes sense," Tallis said.

"We know there’s a market here for it, they just need their own team."

Tallis, now a forwards coach with South Sydney, and Ross were in Perth this week to promote the June 26 clash between the Rabbitohs and Melbourne Storm at ME Bank Stadium.

Ross believed quality players would jump at the chance to play for a Perth side.

"I’ve talked to a few boys and they’d all love to be over here playing football," Ross said.

"It’s a perfect environment. We are in the middle of winter now and it’s nice and warm.That’s something you dream about as a player to have a good environment.

"The boys, no matter what, would come over here to play.

"Hopefully we can get up a Perth team in 2013. That would be exciting for me, because I’m coming off contract around then."

The redevelopment of ME Bank Stadium, home of Super 14 side Western Force and A-League outfit Perth Glory, is expected to begin in 2012, with improvements made to corporate facilities, player change rooms and toilet facilities.

WA Minister for Sport and Recreation Terry Waldron hoped the venue would ultimately become a state-of-the-art facility capable of hosting up to 25,000 spectators.

Eels Dude

Coach
Surprised PerthRed didn't beat you to posting this. Let's see how this game goes before jumping around saying Perth deserve a side, CC are far more worthy at this stage.

caylo

Bench
Perth before CC and get it happening pronto

As much as Id love to see the bears back I think we need a Perth team first. I always thought another QLD team would be good but with the financhial state of the titans im unsure. The 2nd team would be a toss up between CC and a 2nd QLD team.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Perth before CC and get it happening pronto

You're right.

Here's me banging on about viability, financial backing etc when the real driver is the fact that players like warm weather in winter.

When you add the intellectual backing of Tallis and Ben Ross (and El Diablo), CC Bears is even less of a chance.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
WA Minister for Sport and Recreation Terry Waldron hoped the venue would ultimately become a state-of-the-art facility capable of hosting up to 25,000 spectators.

With a name like that, how could they fail?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'd like to see both in by 2013, and if a Sydney team falls over by then replace them with a 2nd side in QLD.

brendothejet

First Grade
Theres no reason why perth and CC couldnt come in at the same time. All it takes is planning.

It would add immensely to the next deal if we had another regional NSW area sewn up as well northern sydney, then an entire State in the Perth based Western Reds.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Perth and CC

Sydney teams/outside Sydeny play each other twice - 18
Sydney teams play ouside Sydney teams once - 8

That is 26 rounds. Bring back split rounds.

Finals in the same format with top three from each Sydney and non Sydney to make 6 and the next two to make it up to eight.

manly40gimps0

Juniors

With a name like that, how could they fail?

I agree with you Roony, f**k the bears and the CC.
Perth is a must.:D

simostorm

Bench
Perth and Wellington for expansion.

CC can go jump. Knights are 40 minutes away.. CC locals can go there if they wanna watch soem footy.

Adsy

Juniors
Perth & Central Coast should both come in for the 2013 season if the NRL can get their sh*t together.

To Simostorm - If you use that logic about a CC team you could use that for about half the Sydney teams too. It doesn't matter how close time wise or distance wise two clubs are. As long as there is a demand for a team and it will benefit the NRL having them in they should be in the comp.

simostorm

Bench
Actually id like to see Manly culled to make way for the Central Coast Bears.

Northern Eagles.. and they just cut Norths out of the deal.

Dog act by manly scum. Cull them and bring in the CC Bears.

Latest posts