What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet Hates at Work

Knightmare

Coach
People who get out their Everyday Rewards card and ask "Can I use this here?" when I have already put the sale through, meanining I have to scroll back through the system to scan their card so they can put another 10c towards some virtually unattainable prize while Woolies reap the profits.

Honestly, if I had a dollar for everytime someone has done this, I could afford to not work at all.

I also hate clearly able bodied people who come in and ask you to go and get something from the cold room for them. I feel like saying "You walked in here fine and you've got both your arms- you go get it!"

Didgi

I'm probably going to cop it for this:

- people who assume that because someone is older, they have more experience and knowledge. Sometimes but Not always true.
- superiors who find random, pointless duties for you to do just because it's not busy.

Bazal

Post Whore
Actually Didgi has inadvertently brought up another of my pet hates...junior staff who aren't qualified to do anything but think they're the sh*t and bitch and moan when you ask them to do the menial stuff that A) Someone has to be and B) is all they're qualified for

Nuke

Staff member
Co-Workers who talk constantly about their mundane personal lives...good luck but not interested.
This I agree with 100%.
I have a co-worker in my department (there's just the two of us) who talks about her family in every conversation. Seriously, every single one. She also has a 'glass half-empty' approach to life, seeing everything and everyone as out to get her. Luckily I'm a very patient person and somehow manage to tolerate all this. Other workmates can't stand being in the same room as her! One day she's gonna catch me in a less-patient mood and tip me over the edge...

This I agree with 100%.
I have a co-worker in my department (there's just the two of us) who talks about her family in every conversation. Seriously, every single one. She also has a 'glass half-empty' approach to life, seeing everything and everyone as out to get her. Luckily I'm a very patient person and somehow manage to tolerate all this. Other workmates can't stand being in the same room as her! One day she's gonna catch me in a less-patient mood and tip me over the edge...

Insecure co-workers are the worst..and often the ones that take the most sickies.

Didgi

didgi, plz elaborate on 'random pointless duties '
Things like an on the spot decision that all the display racks need dusting. I know it's coming when he goes "Hmmm.. Good. Ok, now what can I get you to do?"
I understand sh*t like that has to be done and me or some other junior staff member is the person thats going to do it, but tell me at the start of the shift, dont decide on the spot just because it's not that busy.
Someone like Baz or kia ora who are managers would oprobably have a different take on it though.

Martli

Coach
Lets take your rather menial example of dusting the display racks.

Lets' say it does need to be done. Surely it's better to get it done while business is slow so that your "skills" can be best utilised when the customers do come in. If they need dusting and it's busy the dust can wait, surely?

How would they be able to have the foresight to give you that task at the start of your shift? They can't predict how busy it's going to be (with any great accuracy at least). It's called seizing the opportunity. They've employeed you for a set amount of time, no one's going to go "OH SORRY DIGD DIGD I DIDN'T GIVE YOU THIS TASK AT THE START OF THE SHIFT, YOU CAN JUST DO NOTHING NOW EVEN THOUGH IT NEEDS TO BE DONE"

Last edited:

Dani

Immortal
I am the manager and i dust and mop and clean. It has to be done, and everyone has to do it. When you manager asks you to do it on the spot because there is nothing else to do is usually one of two reasons, fisrtly they know you will soon start complaining about being bored or having nothing to do and secondly, it needs to be done, a dusty workplace is gross.

How about next time you take some initiative and pick up the duster before you're asked cos your manager has a million other freaken things on their mind and keeping you preoccupied isn't high up on that list.

Rant over =]

GongPanther

Referee
Not to mention that while you are being paid,you have to earn it regardless of what tasks are on hand.

No wonder this country has a f**ked up attitude towards the work ethic.

MKEB...

Staff member
Those p...ks who come out of a training course thinking they know everything about everything when in fact they have done one lesson on each subject. This is particularly annoying when you are a ticketed/certified tradsman and have been for the last ten years.

Simple solution...Give them something slightly challenging to do (that you can fix up after they have floundered around getting stressed and you giving them a utter bollocking). Then proceed to give them the dull boring jobs, when they have mastered the dull ones...you may consider giving something more interesting to do.

Didgi

Lets take your rather menial example of dusting the display racks.

Lets' say it does need to be done. Surely it's better to get it done while business is slow so that your "skills" can be best utilised when the customers do come in. If they need dusting and it's busy the dust can wait, surely?

How would they be able to have the foresight to give you that task at the start of your shift? They can't predict how busy it's going to be (with any great accuracy at least). It's called seizing the opportunity. They've employeed you for a set amount of time, no one's going to go "OH SORRY DIGD DIGD I DIDN'T GIVE YOU THIS TASK AT THE START OF THE SHIFT, YOU CAN JUST DO NOTHING NOW EVEN THOUGH IT NEEDS TO BE DONE"
It's when the dusting doesn't need to be done but they tell you to do it just because it's something to do. Other examples - re-folding mostly already folded shirts, visual merchandising balls every two hours. Obviously these things need to be done, and when they need to be done they are done, so why get us to re-do something just for the sake of it? 95% of the time the jobs that need to be done are done, and the other 5% is when the store is too busy. If something new comes up that wasn't covered at the start of the shift that needs to be done e.g. new stock arrives or someone makes a mess, then advise me I need to do that as well, Im not going to bitch and moan over that. Obviously the attitude and situation at other workplaces is different.

McLovin

Staff member
Tell me Didgi...If jobs are already done, what would you like to be doing?

Danish

Referee
I hate it when people ask me to do stuff, which seems to be all f**king day. Whether it be a customer calling in or another staff member asking for my help.

This would be a sweet gig if it weren't for the whole work bit.

simmo1

First Grade
Those people who don't have a position of authority, but have worked at a place for a number of years.

You know the ones. They'll get put in 'charge' when a manager is sick and then go on a power trip and immediately start telling everyone how to do their job as if they were someone who actually matters. In reality, they are normally the laziest workers which is why they have never progressed to become a manager or 2IC.

Large department stores and supermarkets have several of these types.

Latest posts