What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Nolan Poll

Should we do everything we can within reason to retain Peter Nolan and his team

• Total voters

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
Brian smith had already set up an academy back in 1997. Luke Burt was part of that first group of players identified. He called it JETS. worked well for many years.

Lets hope we can get back to identifying our good juniors. I think Arthur , his assistant coaches, Ando and the other recruitment guys like Anthony Field and Craig Wilson look to locking up our good kids.

It was before back half of 2009 mate he wouldn't remember .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Brian smith had already set up an academy back in 1997. Luke Burt was part of that first group of players identified. He called it JETS. worked well for many years.

Smith was one of the best, but he did have Cleal at first, and it didn't seem to work as well when Reddy took over.

Lets hope we can get back to identifying our good juniors. I think Arthur , his assistant coaches, Ando and the other recruitment guys like Anthony Field and Craig Wilson look to locking up our good kids.

It's not just about local kids though. We need to be recruiting the best kids from anywhere in Australia and the South Pacific. Plus Lesotho.

Anyway, I'm sure we will keep doing so, and as you say, the real key to the whole system is retention.

#'academy'

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
Smith was one of the best, but he did have Cleal at first, and it didn't seem to work as well when Reddy took over.

It's not just about local kids though. We need to be recruiting the best kids from anywhere in Australia and the South Pacific. Plus Lesotho.

Anyway, I'm sure we will keep doing so, and as you say, the real key to the whole system is retention.

#'academy'

Cleal left in 2004 and Smith left in 2006 . In 05 and 06 we could've taken it out , so the years when Reddy stuffed it Smithy was gonskis. Cleal was definitely good at his job but as you say Smithy was one of the best .

What I will say is that Canterbury seem to be buying plenty of players for a club with one of the best scouts in the business .

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What I will say is that Canterbury seem to be buying plenty of players for a club with one of the best scouts in the business .

That's because the 'academy' doesn't start pumping out first graders overnight. I keep telling you merkins this.

Hasler/Cleal only got to the Dogs in 2012. It's early days yet.

Wizard Sleeve

Juniors
I just hope we were smart enough to put wheel clamps on the "academy" as soon as Nolan announced his resignation . The last thing I want to do is pass Nolans Kingswood towing it up the freeway this weekend .

ParraSteve

Juniors
Havent seen this posted anywhere else

EELS LIKELY TO RECRUIT HUGHES
Mark Hughes has emerged as the frontrunner to replace Peter Nolan as the recruitment chief at Parramatta. Nolan is heading back to Brisbane and the Eels are on the lookout for a new talent spotter.
Hughes' last gig was at South Sydney where he unearthed the likes of Issac Luke, Ben Te'o, Chris McQueen, Beau Champion, Shaune Corrigan, Andrew Everingham, Dylan Farrell, Bryson Goodwin, Jeff Lima and David Tyrrell.
A member of the famous Hughes clan which played for Canterbury during the 1970s and 1980s, Hughes also unearthed a plethora of superstars at the Family Club, including Sonny Bill Williams and Johnathan Thurston.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oward-stink-20140419-zqwpf.html#ixzz2zfS2uf00

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Mark Hughes has emerged as the frontrunner to replace Peter Nolan as the recruitment chief at Parramatta. Nolan is heading back to Brisbane and the Eels are on the lookout for a new talent spotter.
Hughes' last gig was at South Sydney where he unearthed the likes of Issac Luke, Ben Te'o, Chris McQueen, Beau Champion, Shaune Corrigan, Andrew Everingham, Dylan Farrell, Bryson Goodwin, Jeff Lima and David Tyrrell.
A member of the famous Hughes clan which played for Canterbury during the 1970s and 1980s, Hughes also unearthed a plethora of superstars at the Family Club, including Sonny Bill Williams and Johnathan Thurston.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oward-stink-20140419-zqwpf.html#ixzz2zfS2uf00

Yep first I've heard of it.

Tony Bongo

Bench

Mark Hughs unearthed all those players....Really?:-k

El Diablo

Post Whore

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=10079499#post10079499

Tony Bongo

Bench

Mark Hughs unearthed all those players....Really?:-k

I knew he didn't unearth Ben Te'o and Jeff Lima for a start.
Issac Luke and McQueen were both good signings although McQueen was always going to play for the Bunnies.
Beau Champion signed with Souths in 2005 a year before Hughes joined them.
Shaune Corrigan is playing for the Wyong Roos.
Everingham was unearthed by Manly (Cleal I assume), moved to the Tigers and then went to Souths for a couple of seasons before going to Union.
Dylan Farrell is a maybe.
Bryson Goodwin played his first grade debut and another 8 first grade games for the Sharks before joining the Dogs.
David Tyrrell is one he signed after he won the Carbine Club "Colt of the Year" at the Queensland Rugby League South East Division Awards.
Sonny Bill Williams was a Marist Saints junior when and was spotted playing in Auckland by Bulldogs talent scout John Ackland. (according to wiki anyway)
As for Thurston "According to Thurston's manager Sam Ayoub, a number of the clubs were not even willing to take him for free. Only St George Illawarra Dragons coach Nathan Brown was willing to sign him but because he was going to play for nothing. Ultimately Ayoub negotiated with the Bulldogs to sign him as he had promised Thurston's mother he would keep an eye on him, and Belmore (the Bulldogs' home ground) was closer to where he lived." Hardly an endorsement for Hughes' eye for talent.

Last edited:

Tony Bongo

Bench
Who is your preferred candidate Tony?

We may as well just save the money and get DA to do it now. We still have Anthony Field and Craig Wilson so as long as they are left to keep doing their job there's no point in employing someone like Hughes who doesn't really seem to have many runs on the board anyway.

Latest posts