What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Nolan

lingard

Coach
Regardless we still paid overs for him.

Undoubtedly true. But we probably had to pay overs to attract a State of Origin Prop to our club at that time. And, if he hadn't been injured, and had maintained the form he had at Saints, who would have cared? It was a good signing at the time. Every signing is a gamble - and the more you pay, the bigger the gamble.

lingard

Coach
My point is, if a coach gets the sack he's got no-one to blame but himself. Likewise if his team underperforms after his first season.

I agree that any NRL coach goes into a new position knowing that his tenure is apt to be judged solely on results. He goes in with eyes wide open and shouldn't cry if he is sacked. But bad luck with injuries, personality clashes, poor assistant staff, etc, could also play a part. We're all complaining now about Rod Reddy's poor performance as a talent scout. That surely couldn't have helped Daniel Anderson. And Hagan. Was Reddy here when Hagan coached us?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree that any NRL coach goes into a new position knowing that his tenure is apt to be judged solely on results. He goes in with eyes wide open and shouldn't cry if he is sacked. But bad luck with injuries, personality clashes, poor assistant staff, etc, could also play a part.

But if 'bad luck' is the case (and I agree sometimes it plays a big part in results both over 80 minutes and over a season) then the board will see that and judge the coach based on how the team - and the coach - responded.

We're all complaining now about Rod Reddy's poor performance as a talent scout. That surely couldn't have helped Daniel Anderson. And Hagan. Was Reddy here when Hagan coached us?

I'm sure he hampered all those guys, just as he hampered Kearney this year, and if any of those coaches valued the health of the club they should have sacked him as soon as they were able.

Only one coach did.

The club obviously has enough money to pay out contracts, and the board obviously understands the need for it at times. How was Rod Reddy allowed to remain at the club for so long? It's the head coach's job to make sure his staff do their jobs properly.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Yeah I dunno Poupou. The board obviously supported Ando. So I'm sure if he had asked them to pay Rocket out they would have.

lingard

Coach
But if 'bad luck' is the case (and I agree sometimes it plays a big part in results both over 80 minutes and over a season) then the board will see that and judge the coach based on how the team - and the coach - responded.

I'm sure he hampered all those guys, just as he hampered Kearney this year, and if any of those coaches valued the health of the club they should have sacked him as soon as they were able.

Only one coach did.

The club obviously has enough money to pay out contracts, and the board obviously understands the need for it at times. How was Rod Reddy allowed to remain at the club for so long? It's the head coach's job to make sure his staff do their jobs properly.

We don't know whether or not Anderson had the power to 'sack' Reddy or not. Also, Reddy's success or failure can be seen more clearly in hindsight - maybe at the time it was not quite so evident. And maybe Reddy wasn't sacked. Maybe his contract expired and was simply not renewed.

lingard

Coach
Maybe he should have walked if he felt he didn't have the board's support.

Daniel Anderson's great dream was to coach Parramatta one day. He got his chance unexpectedly. Would you walk away from a well-paid job of your dreams because of a lack of support and less than ideal assitants, or would you try to ride it out, hoping things got better? I know what I'd do.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would do the same lingard, but that's what seperates the professionals like Kearney from nuffies like you, me and Daniel Anderson.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I remember speaking to a director about Nolan at a junior rep gameearlier this year and he explainedto me how he was feeling a bit skeptical about bribing him to parra until he sat down and had a chat to him at a game, he said Nolan had great knowledge just about every junior rep player at ball and Mathews level in the comp, so director pointed at a randam player at the opposition (I think he said Souths) and Nolan without lookingat his program told him the players name, he's family background and Footy background prior to his junior rep career, he even had his stats down pat..he did the same to another player, the guy is not only great at identifying talant but knows the players background and upbringing, I'd like someone to convince me at this stage, why this guy wouldn't be great for this club

So it looks like Nolan had a brief massive influence on our 2014 NYC squad before we crashed back to Earth. In hindsight the only Kearney signings that turned out any good were Radradra, Ma'u and of course Brad Arthur.

Did Nolan end up at the Broncos?

Stagger eel

Staff member
So it looks like Nolan had a brief massive influence on our 2014 NYC squad before we crashed back to Earth. In hindsight the only Kearney signings that turned out any good were Radradra, Ma'u and of course Brad Arthur.

Did Nolan end up at the Broncos?

Nolan is at the Broncos yes, and still one of the best recruiters in the industry...

lol Baz.

Maroubra is Maroubra and all those other blokes.
He's a clever bastard.

I'm a dumbo. I'm just Suity. So..........sorry to disappoint ya.

Suity

he he. I have one alter-ego only , and 'he' has 4 posts in total.....and that was invented just because the Maroubras had driven Avenger to the edge of insanity one day, so I thought I'd make a bird of it.

Suitman

Post Whore
he he. I have one alter-ego only , and 'he' has 4 posts in total.....and that was invented just because the Maroubras had driven Avenger to the edge of insanity one day, so I thought I'd make a bird of it.

lol.
I wouldn't even know how to have an alter ego.
Seriously. :lol:
Nor would I even bother.
There's plenty of people on this board who I've met. Why would I try and hide another side of me, like Bart does, for instance?
I am who I am. f**k playing those sorts of games.
That shit is for chicks who read Woman's Day and watch A Current Affair.

Suity

lol Baz.

Maroubra is Maroubra and all those other blokes.
He's a clever bastard.

I'm a dumbo. I'm just Suity. So..........sorry to disappoint ya.

Suity

Said this before, but I always thought you & Bart were the same as a cause of the same surname?

bartman

Immortal
True that... Suity's continued opinions regarding other people's logins is just a ploy to try and throw people off the scent ;-).

But as I've always said... who cares, it's only the internet!