What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Prime

shiznit

Coach
he guys..
pete is a mate of mine so ive always known about his talent but i just switched over to 'boil up' on MaoriTV and kempy was giving him big wraps. he said that hes upto NRL level and that NRL clubs will be falling over themselves to pick him up. he thinks he can go on to the kiwis....
i havent watched him much this year so whats everyones thoughts on him??

Peter Prime has blown me away !!!

Last year I thought he was ok, showed some potential. THIS YEAR ............ WOW !!!

He is easily the best player in the competition at the moment, He is ripping it apart. If the talent scouts are really watching I dont believe there would be a club who wouldnt sign him. He looks unlikely as a player but man he is without doubt the MVP so far of the season in a team that is struggling.

To not be in the lions is a disgrace. Players like louie Anderson, Scott Jones are not even close to him

AliN

Live Update Team
Agree, he's a good player and is the right man at the helm of the Stallions.

It would be great to give someone like him a go in the Lions, just to show Louie how it's really done.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Are the Lions PL team allowed to take other players not contracted to them or the Warriors from Bartercard? If he's going as well as you say then there must be a reason (please let it be other than poor management). Hopefully the Warriors are listening and getting ready to offer him some sort of contract.

Skinner

Coach
KeepingTheFaith said:
Are the Lions PL team allowed to take other players not contracted to them or the Warriors from Bartercard? If he's going as well as you say then there must be a reason (please let it be other than poor management). Hopefully the Warriors are listening and getting ready to offer him some sort of contract.

Of course, they can take players from wherever they want, EXCEPT, Warriors first
graders (from the 25), must be in the 17, where they are not required in first grade.

This is where Anderson gets in ahead of Prime and others. Unfortunately for Prime,
he has Louis and Corey and Scotty in front of him.....and I'm not convinced on him.

Iafeta

Referee
Scott Jones isn't a member of the 25 is he? I thought he was on an elite development contract.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Skinner said:
Of course, they can take players from wherever they want, EXCEPT, Warriors first
graders (from the 25), must be in the 17, where they are not required in first grade.

This is where Anderson gets in ahead of Prime and others. Unfortunately for Prime,
he has Louis and Corey and Scotty in front of him.....and I'm not convinced on him.

Thanks. Wasn't sure what the rules were in regards to the Lions. How much say do the Warriors have? Can the Lions say to someone like Anderson, "nope don't want ya, go find a park bench to sit on"? Or do they just pick Anderson on rep?

Iafeta

Referee
They'd have to pick him. As Skinner says the agreement is any player not in the 17 in the top 25 available for selection is to play for the Lions.

Skinner

Coach
Iafeta said:
Scott Jones isn't a member of the 25 is he? I thought he was on an elite development contract.

You're correct, he is on the full time contract, although an elite player. Therefore, he will
get a run a run before a Bartercard regular.

Look...I've just watched the Auck (Mt Albert) Lions play Waitakere in the BC and there
was probably 4 or 5 players on the paddock that I would have in Premier League tomorrow.....they won't be there, because most are not signed to the Warriors.

The simple fact remains is that the APL Lions are, in actual fact, the Vodafone Warriors
reserve grade team. Something that we have all called for, for more than a few years.

Now that's it's here..........we seem to want something different.

This is not directed at you Iafeta, but others don't have a good understanding.

mean

Juniors
Skinner said:
The simple fact remains is that the APL Lions are, in actual fact, the Vodafone Warriors reserve grade team. Something that we have all called for, for more than a few years.

Now that's it's here..........we seem to want something different.

Cynically this venture is nothing more than back scratching between the Warriors and Mt Albert at the expense of all the other clubs within Auckland.

Sure, the Warriors require a competition for their non-starting and development players.

But as I've stated many times previously, when you have long time Mt Albert stalwart Ackland persuading or coercing some of these developmental players to Mt Albert it reaffirms a fundamental conflict of interest.

Mt Albert has proposed and initiated a free meal ticket for the Warriors to engage the aforementioned players in regular competition at the expense of ARL, but ultimately all other clubs in Auckland.

This expense consequently will affect competition funding, development programmes, marketing and communication.

$800,000 could buy you:

1. A dozen full time journalists.
  2. 40,000 rugby league balls
  3. A similar set up to "School of Hard Knocks" academy for aspiring league players
  4. 80,000 tickets based on $10 entry to Warriors games this year for school kids, but the Warriors should be implementing something free for kids anyway. eg. 2 free kids with every paying adult.
  5. 20 full time development officers targeting schools and setting up satelite competitions.
  6. A sh*tload of bureaucrats, administrators and free loaders who do f*all but write up pretty looking reports which suggest they do or tell people they do.
Currently there are more media releases relating to appointments to the NZRL than there are for the much awaited strategies for the competitions revamp.

Rich102

Staff member
mean said:
Cynically this venture is nothing more than back scratching between the Warriors and Mt Albert at the expense of all the other clubs within Auckland.

Sure, the Warriors require a competition for their non-starting and development players.

But as I've stated many times previously, when you have long time Mt Albert stalwart Ackland persuading or coercing some of these developmental players to Mt Albert it reaffirms a fundamental conflict of interest.

Mt Albert has proposed and initiated a free meal ticket for the Warriors to engage the aforementioned players in regular competition at the expense of ARL, but ultimately all other clubs in Auckland.

This expense consequently will affect competition funding, development programmes, marketing and communication.

$800,000 could buy you:
  1. A dozen full time journalists.
  2. 40,000 rugby league balls
  3. A similar set up to "School of Hard Knocks" academy for aspiring league players
  4. 80,000 tickets based on $10 entry to Warriors games this year for school kids, but the Warriors should be implementing something free for kids anyway. eg. 2 free kids with every paying adult.
  5. 20 full time development officers targeting schools and setting up satelite competitions.
  6. A sh*tload of bureaucrats, administrators and free loaders who do f*all but write up pretty looking reports which suggest they do or tell people they do.
Currently there are more media releases relating to appointments to the NZRL than there are for the much awaited strategies for the competitions revamp.

With all the room in the stands perhaps there should be a " 10 free adults and 20 free kids with every paying adult" pass!:lol:

Rich102

Staff member
OK. I still don't see the full picture.
17 Warriors squad play for the Warriors.
Then:
Balance of Warriors squad play for Lions
Then Elite players? How many of these?
Then whoever is drafted into the squad?

OK. Problems that I see:
Bucky is there for leadership and experiance. No problem. But the position he plays is the one the Warriors are most desperate to fill. So how do we search the talent pool if this place isn't up for grabs?
Whoever is scouting for the Warriors has worse eyesight than me.
With this system in place and so many "lackeys" hanging off the Warriors nobody is taking responsibility for on-field performances.

Skinner: What don't you like about Peter Prime?

Skinner

Coach
Rich102 said:
Skinner: What don't you like about Peter Prime?

No mate, I don't dislike him - I just don't have as high an opinion of him as others
(as per Sonny Fai).

Not unusual, and I actually hope he makes it through. Unfortunately for him, under the
current set up, there's more than a couple of obstacles in his road.

Cheers

shiznit

Coach
i dont think the warriors want him to be fair. he was in the development squad afew years ago and was let go. hooker is his best position i think... i always thought he played in a very similar way to Cameron Smith for the storm. has great vision around the ruck and seems to be able to cut defensive sides to threads around that ruck area.

its certainly a hell alot more difficult doing it week in week out in the NRL but i really hope he gets a good run at a club. even in PL for a sydney club or perhaps in the QLD cup.

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
Chur brothers, my bro that plays with Pete in the Stallys rekons hes probably heading off to oz next year, hes just waiting for his missus to graduate from Uni 1st. Might i add, hell be better off over there coz the clubs over there tend to look after the players better, i.e. not playing with their careers, not chopping n changing etc.

shiznit

Coach
i went over to resthills to watch the brother play against our whanaunga's the northern storm. i was hoping to catch up with him after the game but i had to go at half-time because my little girl was getting abit cold in the rain. pete scored a good try at the start and made afew good runs. every penalty pete gave you would hear from the northern coach.."keep watching boil-up peter prime".. i finally got sick of it and yelled out.."shot pete.. show them how the moerewa tigers do it... smash those pioneers in disguise"

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
Yeah brah, i was at the game as well, Pete had a wicked game, ended up with three tries, one was a run from the base of the scrum in his own twenty i think, ran around the fullback and scored in the corner. i was getting hoha with the Storm bench yelling that crap out as well. Anyway mean gamne allround from the Stally's 42-22