What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Canard

Immortal
Vlandys symbiotic relationship with gambling is something we need to wary of.

When you let gambling dominate the sport, it's only a matter of time before a massive scandal like the one engulfing the AFL right now comes our way.

Horse-racing wouldn't exist without gambling, Rugby League would lose nothing without it.

Vee

First Grade

This has shades of original league boss in gillitnan and he was sacked for not declaring all money to clubs
Looks more like different interpretations of accounting processes to me. Why the NRL would disagree with their own negotiator about who picked up the discrepancy is typical NRL unfortunately.

Wb1234

Referee
Looks more like different interpretations of accounting processes to me. Why the NRL would disagree with their own negotiator about who picked up the discrepancy is typical NRL unfortunately.
Now that’s a good point

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NFL, and other American leagues, starting to take international growth seriously should scare the shit out of most of the major sporting leagues in the world.

Their cultural relevance, resources, and appeal to younger demographics, is a potent mix, and if they're genuine about some of the larger markets globally, and play their cards right, they could really shake the whole industry up on a global scale.

All they'd have to do to completely screw the traditional Australian/Trans-Tasman/South Pacific sports industry would be to actively pursue talent in the market, and within a generation it would become an uphill battle for local leagues to keep the best of the best athletic talent in the country.
You just have to see how F1 has gone through the roof globally on the back of the new investment company buying that sport. It'll be interesting in years to come to see how small sports fair against these global juggernaut sports that will continue to grow their international markets. EPL got more $'s from their international TV deals than their domestic Tv deal last time out. I know people scoff about asia and USA etc but being confined to just one or two countries may be a very limiting place to be in decades to come.

I dont think it will necessarily make much impact on participation of sports at a local leve;, but it will likelysuck up the TV and corporate $'s and the sports fans interest.

NRL is actually in a good place to be part of it I feel. Its tough, fast, still a bit brutal and has enough money to look professional (if we can fill modern stadiums) Something sports fans from other countries may feel attracted to.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Haha so NRL. Everyone knew Ch9 had made a pre payment in 2015 when the 2017 deal was signed. Did they really think the RLPA would forget it? Especially as Ch9 kindly reminded everyone in 2020 when they were slating the game in their media.

No wonder the players and clubs dont trust pistol pete and his hand puppet.

Wb1234

Referee

When you let gambling dominate the sport, it's only a matter of time before a massive scandal like the one engulfing the AFL right now comes our way.

Horse-racing wouldn't exist without gambling, Rugby League would lose nothing without it.
Except 50 million in sponsorship between the nrl and clubs

it’s legal and there’s an integrity unit

afl will sweep the issue under the carpet s they normally do

and guess you want this shut down

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade

For example, allowing betting for trials is asking for trouble.

Iamback

Coach
For example, allowing betting for trials is asking for trouble.

Yet if the game doesn't get revenue in, It is caned there really is no right answer here but if you want revenue and it is coming from a legal source. Then not sure there is anything wrong with it

Wb1234

Referee
Yet if the game doesn't get revenue in, It is caned there really is no right answer here but if you want revenue and it is coming from a legal source. Then not sure there is anything wrong with it
Wait till they realise that leagues clubs are involved in gambling

Canard

Immortal
Except 50 million in sponsorship between the nrl and clubs

it’s legal and there’s an integrity unit

afl will sweep the issue under the carpet s they normally do

and guess you want this shut down

The integrity of a sport is paramount.

If it comes out that officials (or just as bad players) are spot fixing or betting on the outcome of events they have involvement it, that's a huge blow to any sport.

I don't know how anyone can't be concerned about what's happened in the AFL and the potential for it to occur on in the NRL.

Thankfully all the Crypto sponsorship will be out of the sport by the end of next season, as it won't exist shortly.

Smug Panther

First Grade

If it comes out that officials (or just as bad players) are spot fixing or betting on the outcome of events they have involvement it, that's a huge blow to any sport.

I don't know how anyone can't be concerned about what's happened in the AFL and the potential for it to occur on in the NRL.

Thankfully all the Crypto sponsorship will be out of the sport by the end of next season, as it won't exist shortly.
Haha oh you're one of those. Crypto is here to stay

mongoose

Coach
The NFL, and other American leagues, starting to take international growth seriously should scare the shit out of most of the major sporting leagues in the world.

Their cultural relevance, resources, and appeal to younger demographics, is a potent mix, and if they're genuine about some of the larger markets globally, and play their cards right, they could really shake the whole industry up on a global scale.

All they'd have to do to completely screw the traditional Australian/Trans-Tasman/South Pacific sports industry would be to actively pursue talent in the market, and within a generation it would become an uphill battle for local leagues to keep the best of the best athletic talent in the country.
i have a lot of mates who now follow NFL on a week to week basis and play their fantasy leagues, years ago they would only watch the superbowl

Iamback

Coach

1 person can't fix a match though

Wb1234

Referee

Well it’s not like rugby league can go back to being amateur

how do we pay the players and who funds the juniors

and it won’t happen afl will sweep it under the carpet like they always do

but if it does blow up for afl even better I’ll get the popcorn