What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

so why do you & your AFL buddy say you follow .
all you pair do is bitch & moan about everything .
then to top it off you have ideas that are so stupid I’m hoping you’re a troll .
Because we want to see the game survive and grow in a globalised world. If we don't adapt to the changing landscape we will die.

You say my ideas are stupid, but you don't provide any evidence to back up your claim. When I challenged you to explain how basketball, soccer, baseball and other Western sports gained popularity in Japan you turned tail and ran. I hate to say it, but you're the most narrow-minded RL fan I've ever met. According to you we should just stick to Queensland and NSW.

MugaB

Coach
Because we want to see the game survive and grow in a globalised world. If we don't adapt to the changing landscape we will die.

You say my ideas are stupid, but you don't provide any evidence to back up your claim. When I challenged you to explain how basketball, soccer, baseball and other Western sports gained popularity in Japan you turned tail and ran. I hate to say it, but you're the most narrow-minded RL fan I've ever met. According to you we should just stick to Queensland and NSW.
Whatever fükwit, you were ready to give the game up, if the bears get let in as no.18 in Perth, like FMD talk about flipflopping, and deathriding the NRL.. u are absolutely clueless

Canard

Immortal

A sport becoming culturally relevant in a new country is a completely different topic to putting a NRL side there.

Canard

Immortal
Don't tell the AFL that.

Happy to watch them continue blowing money on the expansion teams nobody asked for...

I hope they fade away to, but I think the culture of NSW and Vic is a little bit closer then that of Mt Druitt and East Jurong.

T-Boon

Coach
Nah it’s been shown spending on juniors has gone up

oh and clubs getting 5 million over the cap.

and funding a 17 th team

happy days

and re affiliated states Perth to get an nrl team
that is probably true, but it is certainly also true that spending on grass roots has gone down relative to the spending AFL is doing in that space. It is a long way behind and falling behind more and more. The NRL is making it easy for AFL to gradually move in and drink our milkshake.

T-Boon

Coach
You are doomed to fail if you set out with the goal of converting other sport's fans as your target audience.

You're no more likely to convert a significant number of hardcore WC Eagles or Canterbury Crusaders fans than the AFL or RU are of converting a bunch of hardcore RL fans to a new side. The goal should be to find a gap in the market, fill that niche, then use that as a base from which to grow in the coming generations. In other words you can't convert the average, e.g., WC Eagles fan, but you could convert their kids.
There is a better gap in the market in Christchurch than in Perth.
The gap is that there isn't that much Rugby to watch in Christchurch as the Super 12s comp is only a couple other teams they would be interested in and the other games have time zone issues whereas in Perth the NRL will be competing with a very strong AFL competition in addition to the WD Eagles and the Fremantle Buttholes or whatever they are..
So there aren't many teams to watch in Christchurch and there also isn't really any strong comp to watch.

A sport becoming culturally relevant in a new country is a completely different topic to putting a NRL side there.
You become culturally relevant by taking games there and promoting the sport. American football has successfully achieved this with NFL London and are now thinking of adding a team in England.

This is much more a function of the US world monoculture then any game of NFL played there.
This x 100

what a pile of shit.
i have never said we should stick to just NSW & QLD
that’s one strawman argument .lol it’s probably all you have .
as for JAPAN ..basketball & Baseball are American sports .
if you knew anything about history you would know the major westernizing influence the USA had on Japan after WW2.
& that includes two of their most popular sports .
Soccer ( as boring as it is) is the most popular game in the world so naturally countries …probably near every country in the world play it..
do you have any idea about the size of Singapore?
lol
obviously not ….as anyone with an IQ above a house plant would not mention a team there .
so there’s your evidence .
Feel free to reply with your pie in the sky garbage .
it’s quite amusing .

MugaB

Coach
This x 100

what a pile of shit.
if you knew anything about history you would know the major westernizing influence the USA had on Japan after WW2.
Soccer ( as boring as it is) is the most popular game in the world so naturally countries …probably near every country in the world play it..
lol
obviously not ….as anyone with an IQ above a house plant would not mention a team there .
it’s quite amusing .
He is a fkn moron x 1million... every post is basically the same just on repeat,
Logan, Singapore, down with bronx, down with sharks, cull nsw clubs, you all are syd-centric coz you don't think like me... on repeat

Reactions: siv
This is much more a function of the US world monoculture then any game of NFL played there.
No, because if that was the case then the NBA, NHL and MLB would be just as big as the NFL in England. They ain't because they haven't put in the hard yards to establish themselves in that market over the last 15 years.

After 15 years of investment the NFL is now broadcast on FTA and has a weekly talk show. The other American sports do not, despite basketball having a high participation rate in England. Few people play gridiron in England.

Here's a video from an English resident who points out how the NFL has carved a strong following that is growing stronger.

This x 100

See my response to his BS claim.

what a pile of shit.

I've never seen you support expansion outside of Queensland and NSW.

I'm well aware of America's cultural influence over Japan since Hiroshima. It doesn't change the fact these sports needed to be introduced to the Japanese by Americans who stuck around and developed the game, in the same way rugby league was introduced to PNG by Australians after WWII.

How do you think soccer became the most popular sport around the world?

It wasn't due to people watching the EPL on television, as the game was global long before most people had access to an idiot box. The game was introduced to new markets. Our game doesn't bother to grow its presence.

lol
It's bigger than Sydney and has a growing economy that will leave Sydney for dead by the end of the century.

If you cannot see the benefits of establishing a team in this growing market then you're as dumb as dog shit.

I've shown you the annual reports of NRL clubs. You're happy with Sydney having nine professional rugby league clubs that it cannot support. We've got Cronulla and Canterbury drawing just $4m and $3.6m from sponsorship and corporate hospitality while the Swans are making $15m. You laugh at fumbleball's position in Sydney, yet it is doing better than every single Sydney NRL club. Let that sink in.

it’s quite amusing .
That's not evidence. It's you writing at the level of a child and being a dickhead.

Wb1234

Referee

Pretty decent summary

still can’t help thinking the clubs and the players are being overly greedy

the investment fund has been scaled back from over 120 milloon to five million

it also references how he’s build up racing nsw assset base to include 170 cash plus loads of properties in regional areas

Canard

Immortal
No, because if that was the case then the NBA, NHL and MLB would be just as big as the NFL in England. They ain't because they haven't put in the hard yards to establish themselves in that market over the last 15 years.

After 15 years of investment the NFL is now broadcast on FTA and has a weekly talk show. The other American sports do not, despite basketball having a high participation rate in England. Few people play gridiron in England.

Here's a video from an English resident who points out how the NFL has carved a strong following that is growing stronger.

American Football has been played in London since the early 90s when the now defunct World League/NFL Europe was a thing.

The NBA is massive in Europe and the UK.

You can't compare the exposure that these sports get in US dominated modern pop culture through TV, Movies, Social media to Rugby League.

A team in Asia is a completely unrealistic goal in the next half century, and realistically never going to happen.

American Football has been played in London since the early 90s when the now defunct World League/NFL Europe was a thing.

The NBA is massive in Europe and the UK.

You can't compare the exposure that these sports get in US dominated modern pop culture through TV, Movies, Social media to Rugby League.

A team in Asia is a completely unrealistic goal in the next half century, and realistically never going to happen.

The NFL are also playing a game in Germany this week.

Latest posts