What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
And our broadcasting partners News Corp have gone down this path with Betr. They have also started in the USA hence the NRL's interest in expanding in the US.

We can see how eveything is aligning now with News Corp clearing out the old management who were taking the game in a different direction.
Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war. News has owned the game since 1997, its just much more subtle now, or it was until Vlandys came along and he made it so obvious that its now become painfully clear again just how much News Ltd is controlling the game. I mean the bloke literally said he signed a sht deal for the game in order to help them out. I mean seriously?

The hillbillies let in the broncos as a private entity with share holders in the first place. Moronic decision - why? Cause the code was broke and they needed $500k licensing fee to prop up Sydney clubs.

Then from ‘88 onwards these hillbillies spent all their time threatening to kick the Broncos out of the comp cause they dared to question why they were the only club making money and the code was broke. These hillbilly types are clearly not the sharpest tools in the shed
Didn't the VFL do something similar with the West Coast Eagles and Brisbane Bears to prop up struggling teams like Fitzroy Lions?

In the VFL/AFL's case they made it work and became a truly national sporting league, going as far as to force Fitzroy to merge with the Bears and relocate to Brisbane. The NSWRL/ARL/NRL is too Sydney-centric to do anything for the good of the game.

You just have to see how F1 has gone through the roof globally on the back of the new investment company buying that sport. It'll be interesting in years to come to see how small sports fair against these global juggernaut sports that will continue to grow their international markets. EPL got more $'s from their international TV deals than their domestic Tv deal last time out. I know people scoff about asia and USA etc but being confined to just one or two countries may be a very limiting place to be in decades to come.

I dont think it will necessarily make much impact on participation of sports at a local leve;, but it will likelysuck up the TV and corporate $'s and the sports fans interest.

NRL is actually in a good place to be part of it I feel. Its tough, fast, still a bit brutal and has enough money to look professional (if we can fill modern stadiums) Something sports fans from other countries may feel attracted to.
I'm confident our game can carve out a niche in south-east Asia and even mainland Asia.

Australia is an exotic country and admired around the world. Our biggest drawcard is we share the same time zone as eastern Asia and have a strong east Asian community. It'll only get stronger over the next 50 years.

It will help to make the game truly national and stop playing at shitholes in Sydney that look like something from the 1950s.

I'm confident our game can carve out a niche in south-east Asia and even mainland Asia.

Australia is an exotic country and admired around the world. Our biggest drawcard is we share the same time zone as eastern Asia and have a strong east Asian community. It'll only get stronger over the next 50 years.

It will help to make the game truly national and stop playing at shitholes in Sydney that look like something from the 1950s.
Try and get the Asians that live here to watch NRL first.

MugaB

Coach

Sylvester.gif
Fük mi dead!!!

MugaB

Coach
Some of them do. I've seen plenty of them at NRL games. I regularly talk about the game with the Chinese in my neighbourhood.

What makes you think they don't?
Them.... dem be dem asain ova derr
Look the hill billy is mixin with them folk again pa

Them... as if they were an alien race... did you mention your wonderful plans of plundering Singapore, in the name of rugba lieg yet to them?, or are you just gonna lay it on them after you finished cozing upto THEM

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach
uhhh..... you do know that cricket is like religion in India right? and that they don't play any form of Rugby or AFL right?

yes but if there are people that went through school here, Worked here and still don't follow NRL. Then why would some random people in the rest of asia, Do so?

Canard

Immortal
As a Cowboys fan
this bloke is straight out embarrassing.
in TFC we have taken the piss out of the AFL nutters with their taking over ..insert country here .. rubbish & bizarre fantasies about how popular it is .
this bloke is right up there with the nuttiest of them .

once again ..Singapore😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

He doesn't seem to be much of a Cowboys fan, more of a SEQ based "I'm not a Broncos fan".

Ironically now that the Dolphins have come into the comp, the team that most represents Southern Brisbane is the Broncos

Perth Red

Post Whore
Westpac/Telstra to Toyota/NAB is a better comparison

Of course a AFL troll like yourself only half reports the facts to make NRL look worse
arent westpac a ball sponsor? In which case you'd also have to add in Maccas to theirs on top of the comp naming rights. Like for like and all that!
You havent answered the question.
Why did pistol pete sell our naming rights for $10mill less?

Iamback

Coach
arent westpac a ball sponsor? In which case you'd also have to add in Maccas to theirs on top of the comp naming rights. Like for like and all that!
You havent answered the question.
Why did pistol pete

The partnership extends across all major NRL and NRL Women’s (NRLW) competitions, including the Premiership, Finals Series, Grand Final, men’s and women’s State of Origin series and domestic Test Matches, and both the Australian Kangaroos and Jillaroos teams.

Equal opportunities. The RISE Rookie Academy, presented by Westpac, will help find, train and develop the next generation of NRLW players. This will support the league’s growth from six to 10 NRLW clubs in 2023. Westpac’s investment has already provided additional resources to each program including kit, strength and conditioning equipment, manuals and staff education.

Nope finally money coming in for the Women's game.

This is between $15-$20m for 3 years.

So it puts the difference at $3m or $5m.

Telstra doesn't operate in NZ so as with all the NRL sponsorship, Lack of NZ having the products has an effect. Then of course on is an East Coast sport and one National

Perth Red

Post Whore

The partnership extends across all major NRL and NRL Women’s (NRLW) competitions, including the Premiership, Finals Series, Grand Final, men’s and women’s State of Origin series and domestic Test Matches, and both the Australian Kangaroos and Jillaroos teams.

Equal opportunities. The RISE Rookie Academy, presented by Westpac, will help find, train and develop the next generation of NRLW players. This will support the league’s growth from six to 10 NRLW clubs in 2023. Westpac’s investment has already provided additional resources to each program including kit, strength and conditioning equipment, manuals and staff education.

Nope finally money coming in for the Women's game.

This is between $15-$20m for 3 years.

So it puts the difference at $3m or $5m.

Telstra doesn't operate in NZ so as with all the NRL sponsorship, Lack of NZ having the products has an effect. Then of course on is an East Coast sport and one National
where did you get the $ amount from?
None of that is naming rights sponsorship, unless its going to be called the Westpac NRLW Premiership?
Pretty sure the Telstra announcement said it was for NRL and NRLW competition naming rights?

From what I can see the NRL has sold naming rights to Telstra for both comps for $12million and our competitors sold mens to Toyota for $18.5mill and womens to NAB for $4mill.

Another outstanding outcome for the game at the hands of pistol pete! I wonder if he went out to market on this one :)

Last edited:

Latest posts