What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

taipan

Referee
Did I say it was?

My people are the Bai people, I know more about Chinese persecution and atrocities than any of you lot.
I guess you would but saying that:-
Then you would agree that many Chinese people do not like the CCP way of control.Also if you are a Christian, you have to do so in a church that follows the CCP requirements.That's why there are thousands of underground churches.
I knew a young bloke from this country who was at Tiananmen Square a couple of days before the tanks moved in.He saw and heard thousands of students wanting freedom.It was on TV .

All I'm stating to compare what the CCP has done with( yes Australia and the U.S. have issues) is ridiculous.
I will clearly state it is not the Chinese people for which I have great admiration, but their one party only Govt that most take issue with.

taipan

Referee
Lol they claimed 10,000 went to wrong ground .

if the bus holds about 50 passengers then that’s 200 buses .
lol
just lol 200 drivers who don’t know where a stadium is in their city .😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

It was a massive lie ;just like every other lie they told about China
The question I have always wanted to ask, did they get to the ground or are they still in transit?

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
I guess you would but saying that:-
Then you would agree that many Chinese people do not like the CCP way of control.Also if you are a Christian, you have to do so in a church that follows the CCP requirements.That's why there are thousands of underground churches.
I knew a young bloke from this country who was at Tiananmen Square a couple of days before the tanks moved in.He saw and heard thousands of students wanting freedom.It was on TV .

All I'm stating to compare what the CCP has done with( yes Australia and the U.S. have issues) is ridiculous.
I will clearly state it is not the Chinese people for which I have great admiration, but their one party only Govt that most take issue with.
You’re preaching to a Chinese person, who left China, because of what the CCP does to minorities. Like me. I didn’t compare the CCP to Aus/US. Just the others aren’t perfect like the other bloke inferred. He politicised sport saying AFL only went there for CCP money, fair enough if they did. NRL going to a far from perfect country for money too.

Pneuma

First Grade
You’re preaching to a Chinese person, who left China, because of what the CCP does to minorities. Like me. I didn’t compare the CCP to Aus/US. Just the others aren’t perfect like the other bloke inferred. He politicised sport saying AFL only went there for CCP money, fair enough if they did. NRL going to a far from perfect country for money too.
I’ve tended to laugh at this discussion because, tbf, I don’t really care about whatever happened to an afl game in China. I’d forgotten all about it. But I do care about what happens to people like you so I apologise if I was a bit flippant. Wasn’t meant to be personal.

taipan

Referee
Not preaching ,just advising I have appreciation for what went on in China under the CCP.
You would have noticed I stated both Australia and the U.S have issues, well publicised.
Sport and politics unfortunately do mix.
I understand now, because I did not know at the time you left China because of persecution.I would hate to leave my country because of that.
I'll leave it at that.

Not the point though is it? Where is the atrocity line drawn? Because USA has done and continues to have serious blood on their hands too. Fair clap back yes

Haha, you are really going to “but what about” Xinjiang, Falungong and the Great Leap?

Yeh, we are all terrible to so one should. Judge anyone ever… good logic

Steel Saints

Juniors
I don't mind the NRL doing something different by taking a couple of games to Las Vegas. However, just to be on the cautious side, I kinda wished Abdo and PVL signed on a one or two year deal instead of five, as has been reported. There is an unknown factor about this concept. If it is successful after two years, then extend it.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I don't mind the NRL doing something different by taking a couple of games to Las Vegas. However, just to be on the cautious side, I kinda wished Abdo and PVL signed on a one or two year deal instead of five, as has been reported. There is an unknown factor about this concept. If it is successful after two years, then extend it.

There is no "deal"?

Who would that deal be with even if there was?

Last edited:

Iamback

Coach

5 I think is better, need to give a chance for it to work - or fail

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m guessing the ”deal” is with promoters and the stadium. Though that article still seems to suggest the stadium isn’t decided. If the nrl really is spending $40mill a year on this we’d better be expecting a hell of a roi, previous forays into usa for the game have failed badly And been quickly abandoned. establishing a new sport in a market like usa takes a sht load of money and a very long time. But we all know it’s not about growing rugby league, it’s about the betting market there. Vlandys seems to struggle between changing his horse racing hat and his rugby league hat.

taipan

Referee
I’m guessing the ”deal” is with promoters and the stadium. Though that article still seems to suggest the stadium isn’t decided. If the nrl really is spending $40mill a year on this we’d better be expecting a hell of a roi, previous forays into usa for the game have failed badly And been quickly abandoned. establishing a new sport in a market like usa takes a sht load of money and a very long time. But we all know it’s not about growing rugby league, it’s about the betting market there. Vlandys seems to struggle between changing his horse racing hat and his rugby league hat.
Previous ARL forays have been hit and run ,you should know that.This is a 5 year commitment so I would suggest the head honchos are doing their damndest to make it work. The betting market in the U.S.is huge ,thus spending $40m a year by a code, was to get a slice of that action to recoup the original outlay, and because of the commitment for 5 years expose the game to the U.S sporting market.
The trouble with all moves ins the past, the exposure has been miniscule.
And I would point out in this country wagering revenue (whether we like it or not) pays a lot of loot to the major sporting codes.I'd prefer gambling was not involved ,but the codes play with the hands they have available.
Well this rough diamond has with his handling racing and the NRL, we got an expansion club that seems to be doing OK, an endeavour to maximise revenue by going to the States ,and an expansion minded Chairman, one who wants to make the game more attractive which seems to be working re crowds and ratings and one who is prepared to stand up for his code by getting into his oppositions' grille.Oh and had the code secure a revenue making asset for once.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Previous ARL forays have been hit and run ,you should know that.This is a 5 year commitment so I would suggest the head honchos are doing their damndest to make it work. The betting market in the U.S.is huge ,thus spending $40m a year by a code, was to get a slice of that action to recoup the original outlay, and because of the commitment for 5 years expose the game to the U.S sporting market.
The trouble with all moves ins the past, the exposure has been miniscule.
And I would point out in this country wagering revenue (whether we like it or not) pays a lot of loot to the major sporting codes.I'd prefer gambling was not involved ,but the codes play with the hands they have available.
Well this rough diamond has with his handling racing and the NRL, we got an expansion club that seems to be doing OK, an endeavour to maximise revenue by going to the States ,and an expansion minded Chairman, one who wants to make the game more attractive which seems to be working re crowds and ratings and one who is prepared to stand up for his code by getting into his oppositions' grille.Oh and had the code secure a revenue making asset for once.
And he lost $100mill plus in annual tv revenue.maybe he should have been looking at home rather than Vegas?

let’s see how long it lasts. If that investment is right, and I have serious doubts, it’d require Americans to betting hundred million plus on nrl games to get a $10-20mill return for the game. Gonna take a lot of years to recoup $200mill. But like I said nrl doesn’t have that much to invest so I’m taking it with the usual large news ltd pinch of salt,

Of course fumbleball only went to China for the money. To think otherwise is dumb.

Canard

Immortal
Stadium, Production staff in US amongst others

If the NRL have signed up a deal with no venue, no draw and no teams then they are a worse operator then anyone could foresee.

I suspect Fox are using the word deal interchangeably with "still finalising".

Latest posts