What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Wb1234

Immortal
Agreed it is no different, but a massive leg up for the Sydney sides who will never have to travel.... this is the point..
Take off the bias cap off and think about which clubs will prosper from this refarding recruitment and retention of certain marquees, we already see how hard it is for the knights, titans and canberra to draw and keep players
Good point

but I believe this is the path the nrl will take

they are rushing to 20 teams

conferences will be next

if the Sydney teams are playing each other nobody in that pool gets a travel advantage

the only team it will hurt re travel would be the storm

MugaB

Coach
Good point

Yes its a path

conferences will be next
Correct
if the Sydney teams are playing each other nobody in that pool gets a travel advantage
Until that pool crosses over, but that doesn't matter and its not the point, point is Sydney pool WILL get the best players because they dont have to travel, are you seeing the bias yet?
Huh? Warriors, titans, bronx, dolphins, cowboys, raiders, then 20 means either perth, nz2, png

Colk

First Grade
Good point

conferences will be next

What about NZ (or two). QLD teams (particularly North QLD), Pasifika (if they get in) or Perth (if they get in)

Wb1234

Immortal
Yes its a path

Correct

Until that pool crosses over, but that doesn't matter and its not the point, point is Sydney pool WILL get the best players because they dont have to travel, are you seeing the bias yet?

Huh? Warriors, titans, bronx, dolphins, cowboys, raiders, then 20 means either perth, nz2, png
Issues of attracting and retaining players can be sorted by actual salary cap exemptions for clubs who develop juniors

not the current system of 100k or so a club. Maybe two million extra salary cap allowance

there’s no point for conferences if they aren’t split up geographically

MugaB

Coach
What about NZ (or two). QLD teams (particularly North QLD), Pasifika (if they get in) or Perth (if they get in)
Maybe he thinks the storm will be in the Sydney pool as the 10th team... its the only explanation i can sence here... Melbourne is not in sydney

MugaB

Coach
Issues of attracting and retaining players can be sorted by actual salary cap exemptions for clubs who develop juniors

not the current system of 100k or so a club. Maybe two million extra salary cap allowance

there’s no point for conferences if they aren’t split up geographically
Salary cap has nothing to do with it, everyone is even for a reason... some clubs develop, some do not, thats life!!... dont like it, dont develop! You cannot expect clubs who develop not to already have an advantage anyway on retention

So split it up geographically, but do it fair...
Pretend you are warriors fan for example

Wb1234

Immortal
Salary cap has nothing to do with it, everyone is even for a reason... some clubs develop some do not thats life... dont like it, dont develop!

So split it up geographically, but do it fair...
Pretend you are warriors fan for example
Ofc salary cap exemptions make a difference that’s a dumb argument

they don’t work bc they aren’t large enough

if I’m the roosters why spend 3 million a year on juniors when I can sit back and take established stars from other clubs with third party deals

what benefit has Penrith got for providing so many nrl players for other clubs

beave

Coach

if I’m the roosters why spend 3 million a year on juniors when I can sit back and take established stars from other clubs with third party deals

3, possibly 4, GF's in a row?

MugaB

Coach
No one gets exemptions, sink or swim, we are not the afl, our comp matters, its not some token flag passing business exercise, ask the dolphins why they didn't get one?

They do
They keep the ones they want for less, aka dylan edwards

So... split up the comp into two pools that have to travel as much as each other fairly... as best as you can, then justify its existence

Wb1234

Immortal
No one gets exemptions, sink or swim, we are not the afl, our comp matters, its not some token flag passing business exercise, ask the dolphins why they didn't get one?

They do

They keep the ones they want for less, aka dylan edwards

So... split up the comp into two pools that have to travel as much as each other fairly... as best as you can, then justify its existence
No point splitting it up if it’s not geographical

if would be a gimmick

I’m talking about the team who develop juniors getting salary cap bonuses for the players they produce

I suspect you didn’t get what I meant

eg player comes from your under 20s, 20 percent of their contract is salary cap exempt

under 18s 30 percent
Under 16s 40 percent

not just rewards clubs to invest more in juniors

means clubs can retain longer serving fan favourites more easily

MugaB

Coach
No point splitting it up if it’s not geographical
So you cannot split it up fairly, or are too lazy to do it then why should the NRL do it? Who does it benefit by having a conference system
if would be a gimmick

I’m talking about the team who develop juniors getting salary cap bonuses for the players they produce

I suspect you didn’t get what I meant

eg player comes from your under 20s, 20 percent of their contract is salary cap exempt

under 18s 30 percent
Under 16s 40 percent

not just rewards clubs to invest more in juniors

means clubs can retain longer serving fan favourites more easily
I get what you mean, and nobody gets that ever
You have forgotten SINK OR SWIM

Wb1234

Immortal
So you cannot split it up fairly, or are too lazy to do it then why should the NRL do it? Who does it benefit by having a conference system

I get what you mean, and nobody gets that ever
You have forgotten SINK OR SWIM
I’m a capitalist

people who invest should be rewarded for their investment

the opposite also holds true I hate bludgers who want others to do their work for them

it’s literally rewarding clubs with lots of local juniors like the knights and raiders who struggle to attract players

and in conferences any change has winners and losers

The winner is the nrl with bigger crowds and ratings and a better final system

MugaB

Coach
Every year just mix up the confrence ?
Thats what we have now, what will that achieve?
The point for a conference system is to create more derbys, not isolate Sydney away from the outskirts of the comp, sydney has had over 100 years of derby growth from the nswrl

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I’m a capitalist

people who invest should be rewarded for their investment

the opposite also holds true I hate bludgers who want others to do their work for them

it’s literally rewarding clubs with lots of local juniors like the knights and raiders who struggle to attract players

and in conferences any change has winners and losers

The winner is the nrl with bigger crowds and ratings and a better final system
Bluggers hey? Is souths a blugger coz they just took poor ol jack whighton out of canberra? Coz they develop too.. there is no shoe that fits all clubs..

You still haven't come up with a fair split of conference to be worthy of doing it