What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

In saying that though there have been plenty of off field scandals in fumbleball. Better marketing and more compliant media I suppose

Secondly, this is just shows the error in our game’s administration and the strength of theirs. We have had ample opportunity, even post Super League, to push our game into fumbleball markets yet we have sat on our heads and done nothing due to a combined myopia and self interest.

Some of that though you have to put down to News Ltd though. Whilst they owned a stake in the game when the NRL was formed, they were more interested in keeping costs down so they could take money out of the NRL revenue stream to try and make back some of the money they spent during the SL war. They had enough of a stake to be a blocking majority to any decision made by the NRL administration.

Thing is, since they sold their stake, they use the media dominance to still push the ARLC around as if they still owned part of the game. Only administrator who attempted to take them on was David Smith, and once he upset News Ltd, John Grant and the rest of the ARLC got rid of Smith.

Dragonwest

Juniors
Rumours are swirling that Greg Foran Ceo of Air NZ may be tapped to take over Ceo role from Abdo and PVL gone, with a reduced chairman role coming in for ARLC

I'm not sure about this ... Air NZ have an amazing brand but are extremely woke.

He may help change the image of the game, but there is also a good chance he waters down the game at the same time as similar moves are killing Yawion and Fumbleball game play.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We can but hope! I couldn't see Vlandys staying on as chair if he was CEO, he doesn't come across as the hand puppet type!

I'm just hoping Greenburg kept a copy of the report pistol pete denied ever receiving and "somehow" it gets in the hands of the media!

Colk

First Grade
I'm not sure about this ... Air NZ have an amazing brand but are extremely woke.

He may help change the image of the game, but there is also a good chance he waters down the game at the same time as similar moves are killing Yawion and Fumbleball game play.

That is always the concern however if you have the proper structure then that can be mitigated against.

It is at least a realisation that the marketing and brand of the game needs to improve. If he comes from a successful business background, he would also find ways to increase our revenue and is probably a much better negotiator. V’Landys has burnt a few bridges so just on that, there needs to be a change

Wb1234

Referee
Copied & pasted for you PR.
This is a very pro Swans article written in the middle of GF hype here but there is truth in it with problems facing the game. Interesting that Swans have a big following in Nth Sydney and the inner west where both districts lost their footy clubs.

How the Swans became Sydney’s biggest footy team - and why they’ll only get bigger

Dane Rampe grew up in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, and so has watched the slow and steady rise of the Swans unfold from close quarters. But even he is occasionally shocked at the extent to which certain parts of the city have come to embrace them.

“You have people kind of recognise you, looking at you a little bit more ... I’m thinking, ‘f---, have I double-parked you in or something? What are you looking at me for?’” the Swans key defender said, laughing.

“And they’re like, ‘Oh mate, just wanted to say good luck this year’, or, ‘Well done on the weekend

“It’s still foreign, but I reckon after COVID it’s probably galvanised the city. Everyone’s tuned in a little bit more. It’s probably that cherry on top, for the work that’s been done over the last five to 10 years, because the game is in a really healthy spot up here.”

Most Swans players have similar stories. Callum Mills was cheered out of a cafe when he dropped in for a pre-game coffee last weekend. “I couldn’t stop laughing. I was like, what is going on? This isn’t Sydney,” he told the ABC. “You go to the beach and there’s Swans hats everywhere. It’s awesome to see the city behind us.”

Their former teammate, Kieren Jack, can feel that a new generation in and around the club’s Paddington base has latched onto the red and white. One ex-Swans employee described this well-heeled cohort of young professionals as the “Merivale set” – the sort of people who regularly populate hospitality baron Justin Hemmes’ flashy pubs, bars and restaurants, and for whom the SCG is not just a place to see the Swans play, but a place to be seen.

With respect to Rampe and Mills – two of the Swans three co-captains this season, both born-and-bred Sydneysiders – footy’s really not so foreign any more. This is Sydney. At least in the east, the north, and the inner west, and probably other pockets soon.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/a-...-on-merch-spending-spree-20220922-p5bk6u.html
Rugby league will always be the biggest game in town, but the Swans are easily the city’s biggest sporting team. If you peel back the layers, as the club readies for its fourth AFL grand final in 10 years, and look at the reasons why, there are some powerful dynamics at play.

Sydney’s current membership base is a whopping 55,394, again outstripping their nearest NRL rival. Roy Morgan’s annual AFL fan survey, despite how rubbery the science behind its figures might be, estimates the full size of the broader Bloods bandwagon is more than 1 million – making them the most-supported club in the AFL, which they have been every year since their drought-breaking 2005 flag.

“One thing that really hit home to me was in round 22 against Collingwood,” said former Swans chairman Richard Colless, who served between 1993 and 2014 – the start of their golden era on and off the field.

“For the first time it dawned on me that a lot of people weren’t just sports lovers coming to a big game. There were actually rusted-on Swans fans everywhere you looked. People had caps, scarves, jumpers – and this is kids and women and men and older people, and so on and so forth.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/gr...l-fair-weather-swans-fan-20220921-p5bk0u.html
“It was a lightbulb moment, that people have progressed from being more genteel, distant supporters, to being the real McCoy. The standard joke out of Victoria used to be that [Swans fans] cheer in the wrong places, and it was really quite condescending.

“I’m not saying it’s dangerous to go to some venues, but we’re probably the least ‘feral’ – but that shouldn’t in any way infer that the people watching the game are any less passionate.”

The Swans are a model organisation in every way. Colless is just one of two chairmen, along with incumbent Andrew Pridham, they’ve had in almost 30 years. They’ve had only two chief executives in the past 13 years, and their current one, Tom Harley, is so widely respected he is being considered to replace Gillon McLachlan at the helm of the AFL.

They’ve had three coaches in the past 26 years, perfecting the art of succession planning in a way few other clubs have managed. Their major corporate backer, QBE, renewed its deal this year for a further five years, which will take one of the longest-running partnerships in Australian sport to four full decades.

They have missed finals football just five times since 1996. And the club’s academy program – much to the chagrin of those south of the border, who see it as an unfair advantage instead of a scheme designed to combat the go-home factor with interstate draftees – is pumping out not only homegrown talents like Mills, Isaac Heeney and Errol Gulden, but hundreds of others who don’t make the top level, yet still go on to strengthen grassroots leagues with their superior skills, understanding and stronger bond with the game.

They are now reaping what Dr Hunter Fujak, a lecturer in sports management at Deakin University and the author of Code Wars: The Battle for Fans, Dollars and Survival, describes as the “generational dividends” of the strategic investments the club and the AFL have made in NSW.

For example, imagine an eight-year-old boy was enrolled into Auskick the year after “Plugger’s Point” in the 1996 preliminary final – widely considered the moment when the city truly accepted the Swans, who were transplanted here as struggling VFL club South Melbourne in 1982. That boy would now be a man in his mid-30s, to whom Aussie rules is not a foreign code at all, but the one he was raised on, and who sees the Swans as an intrinsically Sydney team, not a relocated franchise. He’d probably have a high level of disposable income, and perhaps a young family to indoctrinate as well. While the Swans generally don’t rate anywhere near as well as NRL games on television in Sydney, almost every match they’ve played in recent memory has been on free-to-air.

“Every single week, the Swans are getting [a broadcast reach of] 90,000 people tuning in for some component of the game, times 22 games a year, times 20 years,” Fujak said. “You’re basically investing into that fundamental exposure in this club in Sydney ... that is only possible because the AFL, as a central organisation, have always been so strategic about wanting to promote northern expansion in a way that other codes haven’t been anywhere near.”

Fujak contends Sydney’s territorial gains are also the product of good timing and misfortune from other codes, which helps explain why the Swans and the sport are so popular in the northern and eastern suburbs. All but five of the past 22 premierships won in the local Sydney AFL competition were claimed by clubs from those regions – and the others by the Pennant Hills Demons, a unique footy oasis on the fringe of the western suburbs and north shore.
One part is rugby union’s loss of primacy within Australian sport and in particular the private school system, where AFL has grown rapidly. Another is the Super League war, which fractured rugby league as the Swans began their period of sustained on-field success – offering any jilted fans a tempting alternative, backed by what Colless said was a “clarity of purpose” provided by the club’s stability and the AFL’s foresight.

For his book, Fujak caught up with journalist Peter Lewis, who in 1997 wrote The Convert, an account of how the Super League fiasco pushed him from being a North Sydney Bears tragic to following the Swans, to see if his sporting habits had shifted. They hadn’t.

“Twenty-five years later, he still has been a Swans member every year, he’s only been to three or four NRL games,” he said. “Every one of his kids plays AFL and none of them support an NRL team. When you look at the Super League war, yes, that’s well in the rearview mirror – but there’s this generational scarring or baggage, which the Swans have probably been able to capitalise from in terms of clawing over some disenfranchised people from that period, right as they started to strengthen.”

Anecdotally, many Bears fans appear to have made the same switch after they were squeezed from rugby league’s top table after 1999. Fujak argues that repeated off-field scandals involving NRL players have also turned off some followers, particularly women and white-collar workers.
The return of the bears (Christchurch or Perth) is going to help get a lot of them back

effectively two teams for the price of one

together with the dolphins, Vkandys two expansion sides are going to cause a lot of hurt for the afl

Mark B

Juniors
That’s it in a nutshell. The inner Sydney suburbs and North Sydney/beaches areas are no longer league people in the main. About as close to most of the inner city trendies come to supporting league is wearing a retro Newtown Jets jersey to be cool and hip.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s it in a nutshell. The inner Sydney suburbs and North Sydney/beaches areas are no longer league people in the main. About as close to most of the inner city trendies come to supporting league is wearing a retro Newtown Jets jersey to be cool and hip.
You dont think those areas of Sydney will jump back on the game and support a Perth club with Bears in the title? I'm shocked lol

reanimate

Bench
The return of the bears (Christchurch or Perth) is going to help get a lot of them back

effectively two teams for the price of one

together with the dolphins, Vkandys two expansion sides are going to cause a lot of hurt for the afl
There’ll be a small, ever shrinking group who’ll care, nearly everyone born in the last 20 years, or who has moved into the area in that time, won’t give a shit that there’s some team running around in WA called the Bears.

The time to bring back the Bears was 20 years ago.

Steel Saints

Juniors
Some of that though you have to put down to News Ltd though. Whilst they owned a stake in the game when the NRL was formed, they were more interested in keeping costs down so they could take money out of the NRL revenue stream to try and make back some of the money they spent during the SL war. They had enough of a stake to be a blocking majority to any decision made by the NRL administration.

Thing is, since they sold their stake, they use the media dominance to still push the ARLC around as if they still owned part of the game. Only administrator who attempted to take them on was David Smith, and once he upset News Ltd, John Grant and the rest of the ARLC got rid of Smith.

I think News Ltd deep down know that if an opportunity presents itself elsewhere, then the commission would definitely like the NRL to leave Fox.

As you illustrated in your post, there's been too much baggage between News Ltd and the NRL.. Effectively what did happen when News owned the game, was they built a pay tv empire. While the NRL itself was getting ripped off. And the sport is still getting ripped off thanks to PVL signing an extension with Fox at the height of Covid.

But we all know what's going to happen the minute the NRL starts negotiating it's next rights deal. There will be a heap of pressure from News Ltd. They will run negative stories, put pressure on the CEO/ Chairman, all the dirty tricks etc. Nine certainly did employ dirty tricks to get a discount by going public and embarrassing the NRL with there released statements.

The game needs the right personnel to withstand an onslaught. At the moment, I don't think the commission has the right people to rearguard against News Ltd.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think News Ltd deep down know that if an opportunity presents itself elsewhere, then the commission would definitely like the NRL to leave Fox.

As you illustrated in your post, there's been too much baggage between News Ltd and the NRL.. Effectively what did happen when News owned the game, was they built a pay tv empire. While the NRL itself was getting ripped off. And the sport is still getting ripped off thanks to PVL signing an extension with Fox at the height of Covid.

But we all know what's going to happen the minute the NRL starts negotiating it's next rights deal. There will be a heap of pressure from News Ltd. They will run negative stories, put pressure on the CEO/ Chairman, all the dirty tricks etc. Nine certainly did employ dirty tricks to get a discount by going public and embarrassing the NRL with there released statements.

The game needs the right personnel to withstand an onslaught. At the moment, I don't think the commission has the right people to rearguard against News Ltd.
I have a sneaky suspicion vlandys is going to extend with fox until 2031. It might bring in a few more $'s but will leave us with another missed opportunity to go to open market which will ultimately cost us greatly. What he should be doing is getting on the phone to Nine and asking if they want to pay $500mill plus for the rights in 2028!

Steel Saints

Juniors
I have a sneaky suspicion vlandys is going to extend with fox until 2031. It might bring in a few more $'s but will leave us with another missed opportunity to go to open market which will ultimately cost us greatly. What he should be doing is getting on the phone to Nine and asking if they want to pay $500mill plus for the rights in 2028!
Again, why is it down to V'landys? Where is Abdo? Where is the rest of the commission.? I think the AFL chairman also played key role and it wasn't down to just Gil.

There's no need to do anything official right now, other than just talk to other networks and providers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again, why is it down to V'landys? Where is Abdo? Where is the rest of the commission.? I think the AFL chairman also played key role and it wasn't down to just Gil.

There's no need to do anything official right now, other than just talk to other networks and providers.
I suspect the other commissioners are happy to accept their hefty pay cheques and let Vlandys do the work and make the decisions. He also is a good spin merchant so you dont know how he is spinning it to the rest of the commission. At the time I suppose he made it sound like fox extension and slight increase was a good deal given they were in the middle of covid and there was a great deal of uncertainty. It wouldn't have been until the AFL decided to do just a 2 year extension, for significantly more money, the first questions would have been raised, then when their mega deal was announced thats when the hard questions have started I suspect.

We need the smoking gun, that Greenburg/Abdo report recommending not to sign any deals! If that really was sent to him and he has outright lied about receiving it then he will be gone.

I agree but his comments about tricks up his sleeve and a 2031 tv contract extension are the worry.

Wb1234

Referee
There’ll be a small, ever shrinking group who’ll care, nearly everyone born in the last 20 years, or who has moved into the area in that time, won’t give a shit that there’s some team running around in WA called the Bears.

The time to bring back the Bears was 20 years ago.
The return of the bears in a few years is going to be epic

if we are talking about small clubs look no further the. Manly lol

bc with the demise of the bears absolutely zero of their fans switched to manly

Wb1234

Referee

nrl to pay back to players most of the covid cuts they suffered whilst the afl can’t afford to do this and hasn’t even returned the salary cap to normal

salary cap to rise to 11 million and rise by around 200k pa

clubs had their funding increased during covid to record levels whilst afl clubs faced drastic cuts

Steel Saints

Juniors
I suspect the other commissioners are happy to accept their hefty pay cheques and let Vlandys do the work and make the decisions. He also is a good spin merchant so you dont know how he is spinning it to the rest of the commission. At the time I suppose he made it sound like fox extension and slight increase was a good deal given they were in the middle of covid and there was a great deal of uncertainty. It wouldn't have been until the AFL decided to do just a 2 year extension, for significantly more money, the first questions would have been raised, then when their mega deal was announced thats when the hard questions have started I suspect.

We need the smoking gun, that Greenburg/Abdo report recommending not to sign any deals! If that really was sent to him and he has outright lied about receiving it then he will be gone.

I agree but his comments about tricks up his sleeve and a 2031 tv contract extension are the worry.
There are smart people on the commission. They will recognize a spin merchant. PVL might have got away with it previously due to the circumstances of a pandemic. But after the AFL announcement of their deal, I'm sure other commissioners would like to get more involved next time so that they can improve their pay packets.

Perth Red

Post Whore

nrl to pay back to players most of the covid cuts they suffered whilst the afl can’t afford to do this and hasn’t even returned the salary cap to normal

salary cap to rise to 11 million and rise by around 200k pa

clubs had their funding increased during covid to record levels whilst afl clubs faced drastic cuts
nothing helps grow a game more than paying a tiny % of its richest players more money lol. No mention of the $25mill reduction in grass roots funding to achieve this surplus I note!

Latest posts