What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
It’s astounding how stupid Sydney centric league fans are.

In the 80’s I had to travel from Robina to Tweed Heads to see the seagulls. Absolute nightmare to get there over the two lane bridge just before the ground and 27km away. Went all the time. Went to bears games at Carrara and lions games at the Gabba later on 85km away.

Storm started in Melbourne went to almost every game. 42km from door to door. Went to Collingwood games same thing at MCG, and geelong (115km).

You build a world class stadium in moore park and they can’t even get St George to move into it hahaha it’s 17km ffs.

3 stadiums in Sydney would work if NRL just stuck to their guns. Fans don’t even turn up now and the team is in their suburb. They just watch it on tv. So why try and get them to the game?

Just move all clubs to one of the three closest world class stadiums and be done with it, die hards will go. Others will watch on TV. Finals are when the fans turn up anyway, and they ain’t played (or shouldn’t) be played at suburban grounds.

What was it I was ranting on about a few weeks back… oh yeah NRL have always lacked leadership, good governance and vision… yadda yadda yadda
Zzzzzz....

Colk

First Grade
Any team wants to relocate to perth or any other city - all home games have to be played in that city. That’s what relocation means.

Carlton wanted to do this in Sydney prior to the swans - play all away games in Sydney. Never got up cause it’s a f**king stupid idea that wouldn’t have worked, all it would have done was make money for Carlton.

Thankfully, South Melbourne agreed (was forced) to move to Sydney on full time basis. 40 years later it’s a powerhouse of the competition which Sydney people embrace and old South fans support cause the club embraces and honours its roots in South Melbourne.

North Sydney can EAD. They picked to stay with ARL and Packer and got screwed in doing so. Then merged with Manly and got screwed in doing so. They are irrelevant now, a romanic ideal of a bygone era. Newtown actually has a better claim to coming back into the comp than NS.

Perth, and any city, with a new team deserves a full time club that embraces and plays for its city. This arrogant Sydney centric attitude and telling Perth people “it’s share a team with NS of f**k off” is hilarious.

Its seriously like I’m living in the 80’s all over again and reliving the same dumb ass mistakes NSWRL and Sydney clubs made back then.

No one gives a shit about Cronulla outside the shire. They aren’t producing juniors like the western suburbs are either. Rip the band aid off and shift them to Perth full time like the Swans were years ago.

In 40 years you’ll have 4m Western Australians supporting them and, when they winning and if the club honours the past, you’ll still have diehard shire fans supporting them.

Now that would be hilarious if the Jets suddenly come out of nowhere, were accepted back into the comp and relocated to Perth all because the Bears wanted to set these ridiculous conditions upon re-entry. West Coast Jets actually sounds pretty cool and the name could be marketable - the Jetsetters from the West coming to take the crown from the East etc.

Look, there is evidence from other sports at how well relocations can work if the right conditions are set. How about we actually follow those ideas rather than foolishly trying to do something against the mould.

Colk

First Grade
Melbourne
Perth
Melbourne racing
AFL
200,000 seat new stadiums
Big bash style franchise teams = good

Sydney = bad

Every thread. Every effing thread.

Change the record and maybe watch a game for once.

What does a Big Bash style franchise team mean in the context of RL?

t-ba

Post Whore
North Sydney can EAD. They picked to stay with ARL and Packer and got screwed in doing so. Then merged with Manly and got screwed in doing so. They are irrelevant now, a romanic ideal of a bygone era. Newtown actually has a better claim to coming back into the comp than NS.

Perth, and any city, with a new team deserves a full time club that embraces and plays for its city. This arrogant Sydney centric attitude and telling Perth people “it’s share a team with NS of f**k off” is hilarious.

Perth will get they are given.

If they don't like it, The Bears are ready to relocate full time to the St Ives Showgrounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Now that would be hilarious if the Jets suddenly come out of nowhere, were accepted back into the comp and relocated to Perth all because the Bears wanted to set these ridiculous conditions upon re-entry. West Coast Jets actually sounds pretty cool and the name could be marketable - the Jetsetters from the West coming to take the crown from the East etc.

Look, there is evidence from other sports at how well relocations can work if the right conditions are set. How about we actually follow those ideas rather than foolishly trying to do something against the mould.
End of day all perth needs is a pathway partnership. Every other box is ticked. Could just as easily be jets, firehawks or any other nsw or qrl cup club that’s looking for a partner with benefits.

Bukowski

Juniors

f**k yeah, I'd get behind the jets.

What does a Big Bash style franchise team mean in the context of RL?
A shiny new team with all the bells and whistles that once the novelty wears off becomes just another nrl team playing in a 3 quarter empty stadium.

Perth to me has actually been the no brainer for expansion for a long time to be serious... but yano Perth Red.. so hope team 18 is in Marrickville.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
A shiny new team with all the bells and whistles that once the novelty wears off becomes just another nrl team playing in a 3 quarter empty stadium.

Perth to me has actually been the no brainer for expansion for a long time to be serious... but yano Perth Red.. so hope team 18 is in Marrickville.
Yeah same.... Perth franchise would be awesome but maybe in another decade or so just to torment PR for a little longer.

Colk

First Grade

I’d bring back Glebe first to be fair. I get what you are saying though.

Wb1234

Referee
Have you not watched a Penrith game?

They are awesome at wrestling and holding the players down in the ruck. So much so, as a storm fan, I’m in awe of how they control the ruck in much the same fashion Storm did prior to the 6 again rule.

Funny how I’m not whinging about Penrith tactics like every other muppet did for 15 years about the Storm. I see what Penrith do and I admire and get envious of their great work in defence. They are just better at it than any other club at the moment.

To suggest the wrestle is gone from the game is absolute horse shit.

The 6 again rule and captains challenge are about the only blight on the game I see these days.

And I preferred two refs. You get defensive sides offside all the time now and the ref don’t see it or won’t call it unless it happens on the try line.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with how the game was played prior to covid and I’d change the rules back asap if I could.
Yeh well your a storm fan you probably don’t even know most of the rules anyway lmao

it’s good you look at Penrith that’s what good rugby league looks like. They are the benchmark now instead of the team from the wwe

Colk

First Grade
Be interesting to see what the attendances and support for Melbourne and Gold Coast would have been like if their on field performances were switched over the last 15 years.

Yeah good point. The whole we shouldn’t have a team in Gold Coast crowd seem to neglect that Gold Coast have been garbage for a majority of their existences. Their crowds considering that haven’t been too bad.

reanimate

Bench
Any team wants to relocate to perth or any other city - all home games have to be played in that city. That’s what relocation means.

Carlton wanted to do this in Sydney prior to the swans - play all away games in Sydney. Never got up cause it’s a f**king stupid idea that wouldn’t have worked, all it would have done was make money for Carlton.

Thankfully, South Melbourne agreed (was forced) to move to Sydney on full time basis. 40 years later it’s a powerhouse of the competition which Sydney people embrace and old South fans support cause the club embraces and honours its roots in South Melbourne.

Its seriously like I’m living in the 80’s all over again and reliving the same dumb ass mistakes NSWRL and Sydney clubs made back then.

No one gives a shit about Cronulla outside the shire. They aren’t producing juniors like the western suburbs are either. Rip the band aid off and shift them to Perth full time like the Swans were years ago.

In 40 years you’ll have 4m Western Australians supporting them and, when they winning and if the club honours the past, you’ll still have diehard shire fans supporting them.
The Swans also made the move quickly, which assisted in keeping a fan base in Melbourne going. Imagine trying to revive the Swans brand over 20 years later for a relocation. Barely anyone other than a small group of older people from the area would have cared anymore, it would have been pointless.

Those who pine for the days when Norths were playing, and want to bring them back, overlook the fact that barely anyone 30 and under care about the Bears. They’ve never seen them play, or if they have, they were too young to remember it. The brand and the push to bring them back means nothing to them. They’re a forgotten relic to a large portion of the population.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Perth Bears needs to be set up exactly like Brisbane Lions. All home games in Perth, but wearing the Bears colours, sharing the NS history. It is not a relocation and it cannot even be an equal merger, Perth need to run the show and hold the license. NS get a couple of seats on the board. Their fans get a chance to see the Bears run out seven times a year in Sydnèy and every week on TV, which a good smattering of local player. Perth RL gets a feeder club, some fans at away games and some sort of history rather than being a plastic franchise like Storm (first 10 years) Titans, Sun or Giants.
But most importantly, half a club is better than no club. PVL needs to drive this. Simply say to the Bears than this is the plan, and if they are not keen, fine, but their territory will be swallowed by other clubs and they won’t get another chance. Work with the WA Govt and make it a membership based club. If they have their opening game and finals at Optus, I bet that they will be one of the highest drawing clubs from day 1. C’mon Pete. Show some leadership here.

Wb1234

Referee
The Swans also made the move quickly, which assisted in keeping a fan base in Melbourne going. Imagine trying to revive the Swans brand over 20 years later for a relocation. Barely anyone other than a small group of older people from the area would have cared anymore, it would have been pointless.

Those who pine for the days when Norths were playing, and want to bring them back, overlook the fact that barely anyone 30 and under care about the Bears. They’ve never seen them play, or if they have, they were too young to remember it. The brand and the push to bring them back means nothing to them. They’re a forgotten relic to a large portion of the population.
Ah manly fans not wanting the bears back in

same club who should’ve abandoned their dump decades ago and moved up the road to Gosford

I could be wrong but I think the Shire is second only to Penrith in junior numbers. At the very least, a massive growth area for footy.

Latest posts