What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

The Great Dane

First Grade
So afl is going to put a team in there and you think the arlc is going to allow the raiders just to surrender the market ?
Canberra would have to be the ARLC's for them to be capable of surrendering it...

Your whole point is irrelevant anyway. Especially if they can't get the government to do something about the the stadium situation in Canberra, and so far both the NRL and ARLC have failed to make any substantial interventions in the stadium debate in Canberra, and don't seem to even care.

Wb1234

Referee
It'd have to be the ARLC's for them to be capable of surrendering it...

Your whole point is irrelevant anyway. Especially if they can't get the government to do something about the the stadium situation in Canberra, and so far both the NRL and ARLC have failed to make any substantial interventions in the stadium debate in Canberra, and don't seem to even care.
I made that point a few posts ago

at least your starting to talk more sense now !

siv

First Grade
Look those who keep advocating or suggesting relocations of Sydney teams to elsewhere constantly overlook the one issue, namely the respective clubs' finances. For most Sydney based NRL teams, its financial bed rock is its leagues club. They tend to underwrite the operations of the football club. In fact some of them have it that the directors of the leagues club control the football club, or some have it that the football club appoints some of the directors of the leagues club.

As such, if you moved the football club out of the city of that leagues club, you start undermining the club, as eventually, you will get people advocating for the leagues club to sever its financial ties to the rugby league club. I suspect people would, in the longer term, resent money being spent on an organisation nowhere near them.

Hence teams like the Tigers (Wests Ashfield), Bulldogs (Canterbury Leagues), Eels (Parramatta Leagues), Penrith (Panthers Leagues), Roosters (Easts Leagues) would be committing financial hari kiri if its links to its leagues club was severed. You can say "oh but they will earn new corporate support, new fans" etc etc, but that will take quite some time to grow to replace a revenue stream, and also an asset bedrock that the leagues club provides for those clubs.
I think you find Easts Penrith and Wests Ashfield would make money with or without a NRL team

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors
Some classic PVL in this article about Las Vegas.

He thinks it is a good idea because some guy in NY told him so…
I’ve been speaking to someone in New York who is an Australian who loves rugby league and has been a reasonable success in investment there. He says that they’re looking for wagering content outside the time zones. Rugby league is the perfect one for that.

When asked what can be done about country clubs dying…
We don’t run country rugby league.

How will any extra gambling revenue be distributed?
Anything we do goes back to the clubs, players, and participation. Let’s say our revenue is $100. The clubs get $21, the players get $41, and participation gets $40. The rest is left for us to buy assets.
Reporter - That’s $102.
[Laughs] I’ve never been a good accountant. Look, there’s a cake and we split up the cake.

Reading the article, there is no actual plan at this stage. Can’t see it happening.

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

Pneuma

First Grade
Haha he can’t add up to 100, and he’s in charge of the game?
deary me.
Vitriol from the miserable man from Perth with no NRL team? Probably devastated your hero Gill is leaving your preferred code. I’m sure you’ll learn to love his replacement. Hope you’re okay buttercup!

Perth Red

Post Whore
When asked what can be done about country clubs dying…
We don’t run country rugby league.

What a great response from the games leader. But hey its all about those yank gamblers and college football players hey?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Anti-gambling advocates have reacted furiously to the NRL chairman Peter V’landys’s open pursuit of gambling revenue, criticising his description of sport as “wagering content” as scandalous and counterproductive.

In an interview with the Sydney Morning Herald, V’landys said opening next season in Las Vegas would help develop new broadcast and gambling markets in the US. He said some Americans were looking for wagering content in different timezones and “rugby league is the perfect one for that”.

Charles Livingston, an associate professor of public health at Monash University who focuses on gambling, said the US push undermined efforts by several clubs and players to reduce the volume of gambling advertisements at stadiums.

“He’s said the quiet part out loud,” Livingston said. “On one level, it’s entirely obvious this is not a game anymore, or a pursuit in its own right, it’s become fodder for gambling companies and he wants to maximise the revenue he gets for it.”

Several rugby league clubs have sought to distance themselves from the gambling industry and agreed to no longer accept money from wagering companies, as part of the NSW government’s Reclaim the Game initiative. Some have banned gambling ads at grounds and removed sponsorship from all club apparel.

“I mean, this guy is just off the charts,” Livingston said. “He’s occupying a different system to the rest of us when it comes to gambling. Ask any parent with young children who watch football and they’ll tell you the thing they can’t stand is the gambling ads as they can see what they’re doing to them.”

V’landys rejected suggestions he’d tied the future of the NRL to gambling revenue and said wagering was “one part of a massive revenue base”, which has grown from $15m a year to $50m. He said that revenue was directed back to “clubs, players, and participation”.

“Is that satire? Surely that’s satire,” said Tim Costello, the chief advocate of the alliance for gambling reform, after reading the V’landys interview.

“It is appalling that, with gambling doing so much harm in our community, that the head of the NRL seems obsessed with finding new ways to further entrench the league with the gambling industry.

“It is a tragedy to me that it is actually changing the way people follow sport, especially young people. They are now following the game not to support their team buy to see if their multi comes off.”

Latest posts