What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Wallace

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
But I think you'd be silly to say he was more threatening than Wallace. Wallace set up the two tries, one with a well placed kick and the other through a good long pass to Hodges that gave him and Te'o space.

The Panthers should have easily claimed the cross field kick and the pass would be expected of any halfback surely, even at QLD cup level.

I must admit I am going a little too far claiming that Kingston > Wallace last night. But I just can't help but be bitterly disappointed by Wallace. He should be doing way more as a senior member of the squad. The work that Lockyer does overshadows how little Wallace really does.

I guess its good you guys are seeing more in Wallace then what I am seeing. Perhaps I'm being a little too critical.

Big Pete

Referee
The Panthers should have easily claimed the cross field kick and the pass would be expected of any halfback surely, even at QLD cup level.

I think it was a really well placed kick, well in field after the Panthers defence was streteched on the other side giving the Broncos more numbers.

It was a good pass, true you'd expect that from a half but it was another reason I'd have him over Kingston.

Add that with a couple of smart scoots from dummy half that got us rolling and I thought Wallace was solid, ever improving.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I guess my point is he is not doing enough given that he is a senior member of the squad, fair call?

"Ever improving" would be a reasonable comment for say Hunt or McCullough as they are still finding their feet. But Wallace should have found his feet by now.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think it was a really well placed kick

Yes the kick was well placed but I can recall a number of his kicks that were not well placed. If you have a number of goes at it then you are bound to get one in the right spot just by chance.

Big Pete

Referee
Coming off the season he did, you'd expect to see improvement in Wallace's game.

Mind you, if he just goes onto stagnate then I have no objections to giving Hunt a go.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Don't get me wrong I think Wallace is still out first choice halfback, just really want him to do more. I would not expect Hunt would do much better at this stage.

AuDragon

Juniors
Wallace will never be a Johns or a Thurston.
He played quite well last night, as well as Locky actually.

Sure Locky can do better and Wallace will never be that good, but he's improving every game and is far from being as bad as people make him to be!

Last night, in the patches our forwards dominated and actually gave him some room to breathe, he did quite well.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I'd settle for Wallace being a Cronk. You notice Wallace's pitfalls more when Lockyer doesn't play. Wallace's strength is his defense given that he is a halfback. But we need more in attack.

AuDragon

Juniors
I'd settle for Wallace being a Cronk. You notice Wallace's pitfalls more when Lockyer doesn't play. Wallace's strength is his defense given that he is a halfback. But we need more in attack.
Oh you'd settle for Cronk, would ya? :sarcasm:

I would too, since he's the 2nd best Halfback in the game! ;-)

Out of curiosity, which other HB's in the NRL do you rate over Wallace?

Big Pete

Referee
Me personally...

Hodkinson, Prince, Cronk, Mullen, Thurston, Walsh, Hornby and Pearce.

The likes of Lui, Sandow, McCrone and Seymour are about on par with him.

AuDragon

Juniors
Me personally...

Now, that's just nasty! :shock:

Walsh and Hornby? No way!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Agree with the rankings of BP above.

After cracking NSW a couple of seasons ago you would have expected Wallace to kick on. At that time it was expected that yes Wallace should have been able to reach the standards of Cronk by now. So me settling for a Cronk by now is reasonable. And we are certainly going to need someone of Cronks ability next season when Locky departs.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Me personally...

Hornby's more a utility than half. Cherry-Evans is better than Hodkinson.

Big Pete

Referee
Now, that's just nasty! :shock:

Walsh and Hornby? No way!

Sandow is more talented than Wallace, the hate for him on here is exagerated and if he had a better partner (who should be playing lock) he wouldn't be looked down upon.

McCrone's second half of last year and start to this season easily puts him on par with Wallace's efforts in a similar time span.

Walsh has it all over Wallace with the ball. Better kicking game and running game and would dare say passing game but I can't say for sure. Wouldn't be that hard.

Hornby has been good over the past two seasons and was easily outplaying Wallace at halfback. I'm not calling him a utility either, not when he has a better running and passing game than Wallace.

Cherry-Evans is better than Hodkinson.

We're talking in relation to Wallace, Cherry-Evans has played what? 4 games of first grade and has been solid at best in all 4. Hodkinson has at least put on a couple of good performances here and there and remained very solid and won a few games on the back of his boot.

I'm not somebody who scapegoats Wallace for everything like some others do but he really has been ordinary over the past season.

AuDragon

Juniors
Sandow may have talent, but lacks the brain to put it to good use,
McCrone has a good running game, but his passing and kicking are absolutely dreadful, as is his defense.
Walsh had a good year on the back of very dominant performances by his forwards, a luxury Wallace barely had in years. Very weak defensively though.
The same goes for Hornby, who leaves most of the organising and kicking to Soward anyway. Wallace plays next to the great Lockyer, and still takes more initiative than Hornby.

The common point all those HB's have, is a strong forward pack, that dominated most of their opponents and allowed their halves the time to breathe and think (well, except Sandow that is :crazy:).

Wallace has had to play most games behind a dominated pack, and that makes a lot of difference when you're not as gifted as a Lockyer, Thurston or Marshall.

I'm not somebody who scapegoats Wallace for everything like some others do but he really has been ordinary over the past season.
Maybe not purposedly, although like many others, you focus on his failing, but ignore what good he does and the circumstances that make it so much tougher for him!

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
lacks the brain to put it to good use,

Wallace isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed either. True, Sandow's choices holds him back but he has it all over Wallace in terms of kicking, passing and running. I'm being generous to Wallace saying Pete's on par.

McCrone has a good running game, but his passing and kicking are absolutely dreadful, as is his defense.

Kicking game is fine, at least on par with Wallace's. I don't see any issues of his passing game being that big an issue, if anything again on par with Wallace. Agree on his d, which is why he's I'm shocked to say on par with Wallace.

Walsh had a good year on the back of very dominant performances by his forwards, a luxury

So you agree Walsh has been better than Wallace? Cheers.

The same goes for Hornby, who leaves most of the organising and kicking to Soward anyway. Wallace plays next to the great Lockyer, and still takes more initiative than Hornby.

Soward handles the kicking, but you must be kidding yourself when you can't see the effect Hornby has on their general play. He's generally the one coming up or setting up the game breaking linebreak (check the grand final). Wallace barely shows initiative, that's his biggest problem, that's why he cops it. Watch his games vs. Tigers and Eels last year and tell me what kind of initiative Wallace showed.

Wallace has had to play most games behind a dominated pack

At the start sure of 2010, sure, but by the Melbourne game we were matching it with every pack in the comp. and Wallace generally failed to step up to the occasion.

but ignore what good he does

Excuse me, what? You're accusing me of this in a thread where I've defended him over a series of posts against GTB.

I don't think Wallace is a s**t player but I don't think he's the best player either. To me he's the epitome of a standard halfback who's performances largely consist of 5 long kicks straight down the fullbacks throat, 1 good long kick, 1 good attacking kick, 1 stupid kick, good defence with the odd miss here and there, 1 good run, 3 mediocre runs, 1 good pass, 2 bad passes, 1 try assist, 1 dead s**t error.

But as I mentioned earlier, his game vs. Penrith was his best so far and he's been steadily improving over time. As a Broncos fan I hope he continues and I hope he makes me look like a fool, I think everybody on here wants Wallace to serve up some humble pie but geez we've gone hungry for at least a good year now. It better be worth it, or he can go set up shop at Parra, or have his career shot dead at the Warriors.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
We're talking in relation to Wallace, Cherry-Evans has played what? 4 games of first grade and has been solid at best in all 4. Hodkinson has at least put on a couple of good performances here and there and remained very solid and won a few games on the back of his boot.

Will be Qld's next halfback.

AuDragon

Juniors
See BP, that's exactly what I mean. You don't take the circumstances into account:
- A year with generally bad/slow service from dummy half, allowing the opposition to get in the ball carrier's face, which is obviously more often than not, the first receiver.
- A year behind a powder puff pack, who got dominated very often and barely made a fist offensively.

Nothing makes a halfback's life tougher than the above combined.
FMD, look at Thurston last year. With all his talent he struggled to make a fist behind a continuously beaten pack.

You are delusional if you actually believe that our pack did anything worth mentioning for the whole of last year in attack, bar a game here and there.

This year has improved, but we still aren't making the meters and giving our halves the room they need to breathe, and we're standing way too flat. But hopefully we'll get there with Thaiday showing improvement, Hannant getting game rythm and Anderson's return.

And seriously, you need to pull your head out re Sandow. I can't think of a a halve in the NRL that I would have him over!
He's an absolute waste of talent and a grubby little sh!t with the IQ of a corner post, which is why not even Bennett, Gibson and Bellamy combined, would get any more out of him.

beads6

First Grade
See BP, that's exactly what I mean. You don't take the circumstances into account:
- A year with generally bad/slow service from dummy half, allowing the opposition to get in the ball carrier's face, which is obviously more often than not, the first receiver.
- A year behind a powder puff pack, who got dominated very often and barely made a fist offensively.

Nothing makes a halfback's life tougher than the above combined.
FMD, look at Thurston last year. With all his talent he struggled to make a fist behind a continuously beaten pack.

You are delusional if you actually believe that our pack did anything worth mentioning for the whole of last year in attack, bar a game here and there.

This year has improved, but we still aren't making the meters and giving our halves the room they need to breathe, and we're standing way too flat. But hopefully we'll get there with Thaiday showing improvement, Hannant getting game rythm and Anderson's return.

And seriously, you need to pull your head out re Sandow. I can't think of a a halve in the NRL that I would have him over!
He's an absolute waste of talent and a grubby little sh!t with the IQ of a corner post, which is why not even Bennett, Gibson and Bellamy combined, would get any more out of him.

maybe you should just take into account that he has been sh*t for 75% of his game for the Broncos. Last season he had plenty of chances to win us games when our pack was dominating but he couldn't set up a try to save his life.

Mr Fourex

Bench
maybe you should just take into account that he has been sh*t for 75% of his game for the Broncos. Last season he had plenty of chances to win us games when our pack was dominating but he couldn't set up a try to save his life.

Yeah I agree....Wallace has had plenty of opportunities. He just doesn't have the talent to know what to do with them.

Did he ever?

His form leading up to his selection for the blues a few years back is the only decent football Brisbane has got out of him EVER. He was hugely over rated at the Panthers and Brisbane bought into it.

Blaming his inept abilities on the Broncos pack or piss poor service from dummy half is just a cop out.