What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould

Brimmer

Juniors
Is it me? Every time I hear Phil Gould open his trap on TV I have this sudden urge to throw my remote control at the him.

His views are biased (no matter how experienced) and shows complete comtempt for the admistrators of the game.

Here's a tip Gouldy.... How 'bout shutting the hell up. Am I the only one that feels like this?

we should all bow to him .,.. he's a great coach u know .. he won state of origin (beating a team that comes from a state of 2m with a state of 6m is hard) and also won a comp with easts (where they bought half an origin side) is hard .. showed what a gutless coach he was when he knocked back the Tigers coaching job in 2001 cos it was `too tough a gig'

Brimmer

Juniors
Before anybody has a go. I am not knocking the man's coaching credentials... I just think he is an egotistical wanker.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Phil Gould HAS NOT won a premiership with Sydney City, credit there goes to Ricky Stuart, John Cartwright and Dean Pay who was part of the coaching trio. Gould, yes employed as a coaching director, should not be credited with this victory though he may have had SOME input. I am certain he was not awarded with a premiership ring thus backing this up.

As for the original post...I made it clear in the thread titled "Channel 9 coverage" he was a negative that went against 9.

Brimmer

Juniors
For me,

It's as bad as Eddie McEverywhere calling for the AFL. Especially Collingwood games...

I've written to Channel Nein (deliberate typo) to ask that he be banned from commentating on Roosters games. I'd encourage everyone to do likewise. His comments on the Finch and Ricketson tackles were nothing short of disgraceful.

He said 3-4 times that Finch's effort "wasn't a spear tackle" and that Schifcofske was "diving" so that it looked worse than it was. Finch lifted him well above horizontal and then drove his head into the ground. Could have been very nasty. Then he said a similar number of times that Ricketson's effort was "definitely not a head slam". Ricketson had the player around the top of the chest and close to the neck and knocked the guy out. If that's not a head slam, then I don't know what is, yet the judiciary do nothing about it. I seem to remember Tallis being suspended a few years ago for a lot less.

Then there was Ricketson's professional foul on a run away Phil Graham. The game was well and truly over by then but old Bee Sting face says absolutely nothing on that disgraceful effort. Canberra players were livid that Ricketson wasn't binned and that was certainly a lot worse than Schifcofske's offence in the first half.

he was right on the money with Ricko and he will be with Finch
What gets peoples goats is he is a better judge than you and me thats a fact.
He goes for the Roosters -big deal who dies Fatty go for who does Sterlo go for who does Hadlee go for every one has a right to follow a team includeing you and I ,he can some times be over bearing but usually the haters are over jeolous arm chair critics get over it.

miccle

Bench
"Everyone has a right to follow a team"

True true rgr, but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to let that viewpoint change the way they do their job. I'm sure Mander and Hampstead have teams that they follow as well. What if they let that cloud their vision?

As for Phil Gould... I reckon we should have a GUS forum here at lu! There certainly are enough threads on the ugly lump!

realredhillboy

Juniors
he's kind of becoming [or is] the eddie maguire of rugby league. i dont agree with biased commentating so i might actually write to nein too and complain.
before too long [if this man is not stopped] he'll be hosting australian idol,big brother, or much to a lot of peoples horror will be replacing catriona rowntree on "getaway"

:shock:

miccle said:
"True true rgr, but that doesn't mean they should be allowed to let that viewpoint change the way they do their job. !

What possible difference does it make? It's not like he's influencing the result. And I didn't I hear Gould say that Walker's try shouldn't have been allowed?

What about the parochialism of Australian commentators at the olympics? Did you complain about that, too?

People who have nothing else to do but fret about Phil Gould, seriously need to get themselves a life.

nqboy

First Grade
Renowned League Expert said:
What possible difference does it make? It's not like he's influencing the result. And I didn't I hear Gould say that Walker's try shouldn't have been allowed?

So if he's not influencing the result as a TV commentator, how can the media influence the result on the same issue as claimed by Goose's love child, Stuart? At least one of you is wrong.

Phil Gould's job at the Roosters is to influence things in the club's favour via his media profile.

That's all well and good for the Roosters, but it doesnt do much for me as a consumer of sports media, and I cant imagine it's very beneficial for 9 and the Herald.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Phil Gould's job at the Roosters is as his title suggests, coaching director. He not only gives opinion on the 1st grade team, he has input into the goings on of the premiere league sides, jersey flegg etc. I am certain all coaches involved are appreciative and recognise the fortunate position they are in to have a guy of his stature giving feedback on their team.

Phil Gould's job at channel 9 is to give a knowledgable, unbias opinion on the game of Rugby League. In some regards he succeeds at doing this, in other situations, he does not and whilst he won't admit it, uses the channel 9 as an outlet to push certain hidden agenda's that are of direct benefit to his beloved Roosters e.g. the salary cap.

Some will argue "But look at Fatty, he is always bias to Manly!"...what's your point, I for one do not hang on every word of the egotystical fatman. All of channel 9's has beens do the same thing, Matt / Chief for Newcastle, Sterlo in some ways Parra, Mario (why is he there ?) for whoever...Gould is in a different class, a different field. He is a former premiership winning coach, the best Origin coach of his time and one of the most astute League minds of our time...the FTA viewing public should expect him to call like it is, a spade a spade, not how he wants it to be.

miketyson

Juniors
Roosters Grim Reaper said:
he was right on the money with Ricko and he will be with Finch
What gets peoples goats is he is a better judge than you and me thats a fact.
No it's not a "fact" it's your opinion.

He goes for the Roosters -big deal who dies Fatty go for who does Sterlo go for who does Hadlee go for every one has a right to follow a team includeing you and I ,he can some times be over bearing but usually the haters are over jeolous arm chair critics get over it.

He doesn't "go for the roosters" .. He is employed by them.

nqboy said:
Renowned League Expert said:

So if he's not influencing the result as a TV commentator, how can the media influence the result on the same issue as claimed by Goose's love child, Stuart? At least one of you is wrong.

News flash: News Limited owns the game. Phil Gould doesn't.