What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Gould's comments on racism and code-hopping

Big Pete

Referee
There is two ways of looking at Gould's proposal and applying it to Folau.

Either Folau can do what he did and announce the signing mid-Origin series and penalise both his club and his state.

Or he can wait until (at the latest) after the Four Nations to make the announcement. This still wouldn't stop the AFL from getting publicity. They could announce the rumour just like they did on the Footy Show, the NRL media can catch wind of it and bring it up during every Folau play. In the end, I can just see it becoming a massive media witch hunt on Folau and Folau basically being made to announce it for the sake of the media selling some more papers.

In the end, there really isn't a solution in the short term. It sucks, but if there is any justice, the move will backfire on AFL and they will be the punchline of every joke.

As for Gould, I felt his timing was pathetic.

He had a chance to comment last week, before the whole fall-out between Johns and Tahu yet chose to criticise Folau because of his own insecurities about his state.

Sad.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Would he have regarding Billy Slater said we need to stop the WHITE merkin. It was an unnecessary part of the insult. If he was insulting Slater he would have just called him a merkin.

isaiah

Bench
Okay, it seems you need it spelled out. The definition of racism is:
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination

Johns said 'stop that black c***'. If he said 'black people are c***s', that would be racist. If he discriminated against other races he would be racist, what Johns did was refer to Inglis' colour of skin, meaning the phrase he used was racial. It did not however put down black people, it did not signal that black people are inferior to him, it was not discrimination, it was not prejudiced.
I am not defending Johns comments, they were stupid, they were foolish, they were horrible, they were offensive. However, they were not directly racist. I am defending Johns as a person, I am quite sure he is not a racist through the words of those closest to him.
It is entirely understandable how Tahu has been offended though.

And yeah, i cannot see how you can call me a moron when you don't now what casual racism is. I do not think you are an idiot, but the fact that you have not heard the term before and think I have made it up certainly makes me think it loudly.
It is acting in stereotypes, it is speaking in Engrish, it is Disney films of the early 40s, it is referring to the colour of ones skin to describe them, it is the type of racism you hear every day as jokes etc, when they are not meant to discriminate or infer that your race is superior etc etc.

But as what happens usually on here, people's refusal to understand things that do not fit in with their agenda, and their simple blind hatred for other human beings twists events around so that everyone who does not agree with them are 'morons'...

seems that it was not an isolated comment or maybe not just about aboriginals

Dazzat

First Grade
As for Gould, I felt his timing was pathetic.

He had a chance to comment last week, before the whole fall-out between Johns and Tahu yet chose to criticise Folau because of his own insecurities about his state.

Sad.

Yes ... I believe it's called a smoke-screen. Or running a decoy to take the attention away from a more serious issue.

kmav23

Juniors
What does Gould think of Andrew Johns taking the NRL for ransom at the end of his playing days by threatening to go to rugby ?

After David Gallop, the CEO of the NRL, and Channel Nine contributed money and a promise of a commentary position after his career finished, Johns finally decided to stay in league, ending months of speculation and debate.

Dazzat

First Grade
What does Gould think of Andrew Johns taking the NRL for ransom at the end of his playing days by threatening to go to rugby ?

After David Gallop, the CEO of the NRL, and Channel Nine contributed money and a promise of a commentary position after his career finished, Johns finally decided to stay in league, ending months of speculation and debate.

This is the most interesting point of all. On Sunday's Footy Show they made it pretty clear that Andrew Johns would stay with the show.

Joey has to stand down. His position is untenable.

Even Gus Gould was fumbling and stumbling in commentary of the Souths game whenever he talked about Nathan Merrett, Chris Sandow or John Sutton.

Despite being the blue-eyed boy, Andrew Johns is gone from commentary and the Footy Show.

Springs

First Grade
seems that it was not an isolated comment or maybe not just about aboriginals

Yes we understand that now. However, do we know if Tahu was speaking just about Johns or other people, and in what manner were the words spoken?

Springs

First Grade
John's comment did put down black people, I have already explained how. I can't make you smart enough to understand it.

I can call you a moron because that is exactly what you are.

Let me know when you've finally decided whether the comment was racist, casually racist, had racial overtones, or had no racial component and was simply foolish wont you?

Idiot.
Yep, just about ignored everything I said. Congratulations, you have made me realise that being called a moron or idiot from you is actually a compliment. Great work mate.

lockyrulz

Juniors
I didn't ignore it, I just called it for the inconsistent sh*te that it was.

Bottom line is, John's comment was racist, with an intent to degrade blacks. I explained to you how it was, you refused to even acknowledge it let alone counter it.

You can take moron as a compliment if you like, may as well, keep this up and you'll be hearing it a lot.

Springs

First Grade
I didn't ignore it, I just called it for the inconsistent sh*te that it was.

Bottom line is, John's comment was racist, with an intent to degrade blacks. I explained to you how it was, you refused to even acknowledge it let alone counter it.

You can take moron as a compliment if you like, may as well, keep this up and you'll be hearing it a lot.

Do you like stalking me or something. You're there literally seconds after I post.
And you did ignore it, I have said a lot more than what you 'called'.

And yeah I refuse to acknowledge what you are saying because I do not believe Johns had the intent to harm black people. If he said 'black people are c***s', then it would be intent to cause hurt.

And yeah, the only person to call me a moron was... you, no one else, seems like ye are in the minority in this department. And yeah, stop crying, I believe you are wrong, you believe I am wrong, we get it, at least I am mature enough to admit it. Put it in the bag for your next game, if ye even play League that is.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Do you like stalking me or something

Humiliating idiots is a hobby of mine.

You're there literally seconds after I post.

Shooting holes in your ridiculous arguments doesn't take much thought time.

And you did ignore it, I have said a lot more than what you 'called'.

Ignore it? You can't even make up your mind about what it is I am supposedly ignoring.

And yeah I refuse to acknowledge what you are saying because I do not believe Johns had the intent to harm black people. If he said 'black people are c***s', then it would be intent to cause hurt.

What are you basing that on? Oh that's right, some horse sh*t from his media mates. So what was his intent exactly? Was he afraid Beau was so thick he'd get mixed up with the white Inglis?

Put it in the bag for your next game, if ye even play League that is.

Arr me harteys, I surely walked the league plank matey..

Dazzat

First Grade
I'm sure I heard Sterlo say "when he returns"

I sincerely doubt it. He'll be following his beloved brother's well-worn path to a bunker somewhere in Cessnock. Probably for a few months.

How could he comment on the form or play of Indigenous players now? There's no way he could be a commentator any longer.

The Matthew and Andrew Johns Show ... coming soon.

Does anyone find it funny that the Matthew Johns show is in the 7.30 timeslot and more family friendly than the other Footy Show?

Rusty

Juniors
I sincerely doubt it. He'll be following his beloved brother's well-worn path to a bunker somewhere in Cessnock. Probably for a few months.

How could he comment on the form or play of Indigenous players now? There's no way he could be a commentator any longer.

The Matthew and Andrew Johns Show ... coming soon.

Does anyone find it funny that the Matthew Johns show is in the 7.30 timeslot and more family friendly than the other Footy Show?

You useless excuse for a human being! All he has ever done is speak highly of Indigenous players particularly Campbell, Ingils and Tahu himself so shut the f**k up.

AuDragon

Juniors
You useless excuse for a human being! All he has ever done is speak highly of Indigenous players particularly Campbell, Ingils and Tahu himself so shut the f**k up.

Yeah he talks highly about them, particularly the black c*** ones! :sarcasm:

Dazzat

First Grade

Yes ... in front of the camera ...

Can't you understand his credibility as a commentator is now in tatters.

If he talks an indigenous player up he'll be accused of over-compensating or brown-nosing

If he criticizes an indigenous player at all, he'll be labeled a racist again.

Proof?

Even the great Phil Gould was stumbling and fumbling over his words in the Brisbane/Souths game on the weekend when talking about Sandow, Merritt and Sutton ... he didn't know whether to go one way or the other.

Multiply that 300 for Johns, and you get the idea.

He can not longer offer expert opinion on any TV show ... period.