What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Tufnell's jibe

Focal Point

Juniors
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18065968-23212,00.html

Tuff sledge sours award
By Jon Pierik
February 7, 2006

RICKY Ponting and several of his teammates were left fuming and vowed redemption in next summer's Ashes series after a pre-recorded comic speech by former England spin bowler Phil Tufnell last night.

0,5001,5106082,00.jpg
Bring it on ... Ponting can't wait to pay Tufnell (inset) back. Pic: Wayne Ludbey

As the Australia captain accepted the Allan Border medal as the country's best cricketer for the second time, he fired back at Tufnell, who had lampooned Australia earlier in the evening over its Ashes defeat last year.

Tufnell made particular reference to Ponting's heavily criticised decision to bowl first after winning the toss in what was to prove a losing second Test at Edgbaston, and to Shane Warne's dropped catches off Kevin Pietersen at The Oval. Pietersen went on to post a match-saving century that ensured England a 2-1 series win.

Tufnell, who had a bowling average of 38.14 and a batting average of 2.73 against Australia in 12 Ashes Tests, said: "Warnie, you batted like a maestro, bowled like a wizard, and I know you are friends with Kevin Pietersen, but did you mean to drop him twice?

"Do you wake up at night thinking you dropped the Ashes? You can call Herschelle Gibbs for advice, I can tell you he will be awake."

Tufnell then thanked Ponting for his decision to bowl first.

Ponting later took aim at Tufnell when former captain Border handed over the medal.

"If we needed any more inspiration, I think we have all got it tonight," Ponting said.

"Looking at that short video from Phil Tufnell there, a few guys on my table were pretty fired up by that.

"I am not sure whose idea it was, but it certainly made us a bit hungrier to take on the Englishmen in 290 days' time.

"I am looking forward to the Englishmen arriving in less than a year's time, and I will guarantee that we will put up a better show than we did in the Ashes only a few months ago."

After the presentation, Ponting added: "You could see that it had sort of touched a soft spot with everybody. I probably wouldn't have minded it so much if it had been someone who had taken part in that series. "Someone that never really did anything against Australia in any game that he ever played was a little bit harder to cop, I guess."

Herald Sun

This coming from a proven certified pothead??

Hey Tufnell? "I am the music man, I come from down your way and I can play - What can you play? - I can play the....Phil Tufnell......catch the catch the catch the ball, catch the ball, catch the ball, catch the catch the catch the ball, catch the ball Phil............"

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Tufnell? "I am the music man, I come from down your way and I can play - What can you play? - I can play the....Phil Tufnell......catch the catch the catch the ball, catch the ball, catch the ball, catch the catch the catch the ball, catch the ball Phil............"

cannot catch, cannot field, I belive it was

thats some pretty good banter from Tuffers

Leethal

Juniors
Ahhhh Phil Nuffnell. CA should sign him on as motivation coach. If the Poms lose the Ashes, 95% of the work was done by Tuffers. Thanks for coming.

"Tufnell! Can I borrow your brain? I'm building an idiot."
Australian barracker addressing England's Phil Tufnell 1994-95

budz

Juniors
I thought it was hilarious. I cant believe some people took it so to heart.

woodgers

Bench
It was just banter. I don't know what the problem is? The room cracked up with the Herschelle Gibbs remark. Surely the Ausssie cricketers aren't going to become a bunch that can dish it out but can't take it back?

Tommy Smith

Referee
woodgers said:
It was just banter. I don't know what the problem is? The room cracked up with the Herschelle Gibbs remark. Surely the Ausssie cricketers aren't going to become a bunch that can dish it out but can't take it back?
100% spot on. Anyone who got offended by it should relax a little bit and lighten up.

It was good for a laugh...

Iafeta

Referee
Good stuff I thought. Possibly mild in regards to the current no-ball inspirations going around in this fair land.

Tommy Smith said:
100% spot on. Anyone who got offended by it should relax a little bit and lighten up.

It was good for a laugh...

I agree. Great work from Tuffers. Ricky POnting is a first class tool

"Tufnell, who had a bowling average of 38.14 and a batting average of 2.73 against Australia in 12 Ashes Tests...."

Hell, that's funny enough for anyone right there.

budz

Juniors
Stevo_G said:
when he mentioned herchelle gibbs, what was he referring to ??

i am quite forgetful :|
Im assuming u are being serious here. When gibbs dropped Steve Waugh in the WC, he told him he just dropped the world cup. And he was saying about if Warne felt the same way when he dropped Pietersen twice. And something like if he had bad dreams about it.

Stevo_G said:
when he mentioned herchelle gibbs, what was he referring to ??

i am quite forgetful :|

Hershell Gibbs dropped a sitter off Steve Waugh in the 99 world cup and Steve Waugh went on to make a match winning 120 odd. Had he had taken the catch SA probably would have won the world cup

fish eel

Immortal
budz said:
Im assuming u are being serious here. When gibbs dropped Steve Waugh in the WC, he told him he just dropped the world cup.

Actually, thats the greatest urban myth in cricket.
Tugga never said that.

fish eel

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
And you were out in the middle that day? Tugga claims he never said it but who knows if he did or not.

well, who says he said it?

Tugga says he didnt. He said something else. His word is good enough for me.

fish eel said:
well, who says he said it?

Tugga says he didnt. He said something else. His word is good enough for me.

A player will rarely admit to sledging an oponent under those circumstances. Who knows. But I don't think you can say someone is wrong for claiming he said it.

Pensacola Q.C

Juniors
From Out of My Comfort Zone by Steve Waugh p.535

"With my score on 56 a miraculous event occured. Proving that Shane Warne's gift of intuition and eye for body language are generally spot on, Herschelle Gibbs played out Shane's prediction in front of a huge worldwide audience when his attempt to complete a simple catch went horribly wrong. He knew straight away he'd stuff up. A desperate Cronje tried to convince the umpire his fieldsman had controlled the ball even as Gibbs walked away in embarrassment. When we crossed paths mid-pitch, I couldn't resist a jibe in our ongoing verbal battle. 'Hey Herschelle,' I said, 'do you realise you just cost your team the match?' My mouth was well ahead of my brain and almost out of control, but I knew this moment was the turning point of the game. Here was the chance of a lifetime that needed to be grabbed onto; such was the focus that I now felt destined to see it through."

Not quite the line that's become so famous but pretty close...

Latest posts