What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Tufnell's jibe

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
It is completely different. Tuffers has basically no right to brag on becuase he was crap! I mean he should stick his nose somewhere else if he really must! It was supposed to be a great night so the familes and players could relax! You have a good idea if it is disrespectful if NONE of the Australian players even laughed at it! Why should we leave Murali alone?

to use your argument - Tuffers has no right to poke his nose in because he was "crap".... He played test cricket, and was doing it in good humour - therefore you and your esteemed colleagues are clearly something much worse than "crap", and the abuse directed at Murali has nothing to do with humour - so what right do you have?

budz

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
It is completely different. Tuffers has basically no right to brag on becuase he was crap! I mean he should stick his nose somewhere else if he really must! It was supposed to be a great night so the familes and players could relax! You have a good idea if it is disrespectful if NONE of the Australian players even laughed at it! Why should we leave Murali alone?
Haha, you make it sound like its Tuffers fault! The Channel 9 producers helped him come up with the material. He didnt even know where the hell it was gonna be aired!

budz

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
It may just be me but I agree with Ponting on this one! I didn't really find it funny, I thought it was quite disrespectful actually. Tuffers should leave us alone and then we will be happy!
MUAHAHAHHAHA! You thought that was disrespectful? What the f**k about shouting out no ball at Murali and calling him a cheat? My god you have some nerve. That video was done in a way that was meant to be funny, and it was for many, not to villify a cricketer who has been cleared so many times its not funny.

JJ

Immortal
I dunno, Murali at least has genuine reasons to sook...

Ponting sooks and spits the dummy so regularly over nothing it's becoming pretty f**king funny

JJ

Immortal
I think this is fairly good.

One thing I've always liked about Australians (and something I think us kiwis have lacked) is your sense of humour, and ability to laugh at yourselves..

Ponting's a precious twat, and it's sad if it's refelctive of a general change in Australian culture

Tuffers gag ruins night of self-congratulation

By Richard Hinds
February 8, 2006

DOUG Walters told some hilarious beer drinking anecdotes with that mischievous grin. Andrew Symonds' less celebrated exploits in England were the source of constant, sometimes even pointed remarks. On Allan Border Medal night, don't let anyone tell you Aussie cricketers don't like a laugh.

That is unless the person making the joke happens to be that Pommy twerp Phil Tufnell and he interrupts the ritual back-slapping and self-congratulation with a pre-recorded monologue that mocks Australia's performance in the Ashes - just as we had taunted the English for their inept displays over 16 years.

Forget that Tufnell's rave was well scripted, funny and delivered with a devilish glint in the eye. When a to-and-from dares to remind our boys that the year's real cricket highlight came at their expense, suddenly they start to take themselves very seriously.

Then we see the humourless side of Australian cricket. The side that says winners are grinners. And if you beat us? Just shut the hell up. We get to see Ricky Ponting make pointed reference to Tufnell's remarks as he accepts the Allan Border Medal, warning the comments would be motivation for the next Ashes series.

Which makes you wonder which aspects of Tufnell's routine were so new to the skipper they would increase his arousal levels? Was it the bit about how Glenn McGrath's Ashes batting average was higher than Adam Gilchrist's? The line about Shane Warne waking up at night wondering if he had dropped the Ashes because he put down Kevin Pietersen twice in the final Test? (At Allan Border Medal night, of course, this line is funny only when used to mock Herschelle Gibbs for dropping the World Cup.) The reference to Ponting's ill-fated decision to insert England in the second Test?

The appearance of the affable Walters had been a pleasant reminder of how we like to see ourselves as a sporting nation: play hard, then have a beer and a laugh about it in the sheds. A nation that would easily shrug off the tongue-in-cheek ravings of Tuffers, a man who has parlayed his eccentric talents into a career as an amusing TV rent-a-buffoon.

Sadly, the reaction to his comedy instead said more about the nation we're becoming: triumphant in victory, precious, thin-skinned and defensive in defeat. One radio news bulletin described the light-hearted routine as a "spiteful send-up". Talkback callers lamented how such un-Australian sentiments could be uttered on this sacred night of nights. Tufnell could scarcely have caused more offence had he turned up to the Muslim Cricketer of the Year dinner with cartoons of Muhammad all over his napkin.

But given the nature of Allan Border Medal night, it should not be surprising that comments from outside the cosy world of Australian cricket are not welcome. This is, after all, an award in which the performances of only half the players in international matches are acknowledged.

For this reason, the voting system taken from the AFL's Brownlow Medal is fatally flawed. With only Australians awarded votes, a batsmen who scores a match-winning double century in a famous Test victory gets three votes, but so might a bowler who takes a modest 4-72 in an innings defeat. Surely the 3-2-1 votes should be awarded to the three best players in the match, not just the three best Australians.

The Australian votes could still be tallied separately with the relative impact of performances better reflected.

But, of course, that concept would acknowledge that the three best Australians were not always the three best players. It would betray the fact that we face opponents of equal, if not greater ability. And, as the reception to Tuffers' routine demonstrated, foreigners and their opinions are not welcome on Allan Border Medal night.

borat

Bench
Although I am australian through and through I have to agree with the above article. The whole AB medal night is a bit hard to stomach with all the back slapping. Ponting is way too precious over this although I hope it was just the booze talking.

Lets face it, we have been giving it to England and Tufnell in particular for 20 years so now that England have something to brag about we are more than due. Use it for motivation Ricky if you like but don't carry on like a wus just because someone gives it back.

lockyno1

Post Whore
budz said:
MUAHAHAHHAHA! You thought that was disrespectful? What the f**k about shouting out no ball at Murali and calling him a cheat? My god you have some nerve. That video was done in a way that was meant to be funny, and it was for many, not to villify a cricketer who has been cleared so many times its not funny.

Shouting to murali is AT THE CRICKET! There is a huge difference! We might not shout no-ball all the time if he didn't withdraw from every Australian tour for "personal reasons"! What a load of rubbish Murali! You just can't take a bit of stick, so you pull out! It was disrespectful becuase it was at the AUSTRALIAN AWARDS CERMEONY! I would have no problem if it was at the ICC awards, but I don't want a damn Pom belating during our cricketing awards!

budz

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Shouting to murali is AT THE CRICKET! There is a huge difference! We might not shout no-ball all the time if he didn't withdraw from every Australian tour for "personal reasons"! What a load of rubbish Murali! You just can't take a bit of stick, so you pull out! It was disrespectful becuase it was at the AUSTRALIAN AWARDS CERMEONY! I would have no problem if it was at the ICC awards, but I don't want a damn Pom belating during our cricketing awards!
Well blame the channel 9 producers and get yourself a box of tissues for those tears. If the players cant take a joke, thats their problem.
And does it matter where you're disrespectful towards players?

[furrycat]

Coach
Sledging is a part of cricket. You don't tell Murali to get some tissues. He should be the one growing up.

JJ

Immortal
[furrycat] said:
Sledging is a part of cricket. You don't tell Murali to get some tissues. He should be the one growing up.

perhaps Ricky (what sort of name is that for a grown man anyway?) and Murali could attend "growing up" classes together?

[furrycat]

Coach
Oh my god...

You lose an argument so you resort to childish attacks. Let's make fun of Ricky's name!! That'll sure prove my intelligence. While I'm hear I'll masturbate over furrycat's signature because it has murali's supple hand in it

lockyno1

Post Whore
budz said:
Well blame the channel 9 producers and get yourself a box of tissues for those tears. If the players cant take a joke, thats their problem.
And does it matter where you're disrespectful towards players?

Have you even played the game? Sledging is common practice both on and off the field! If you can't take a bit then boo hoo!

JJ

Immortal
lockyno1 said:
Have you even played the game? Sledging is common practice both on and off the field! If you can't take a bit then boo hoo!

seems Ricky can't take it...

[furrycat]

Coach
You don't say that at an AUSTRALIAN awards ceremony. It's like me taking a dump on Princess Di's casket.

JJ

Immortal
[furrycat] said:
You don't say that at an AUSTRALIAN awards ceremony. It's like me taking a dump on Princess Di's casket.

wow, good analogy :roll:

I guess if Prince Charles, or the TV rights owner had invited you to dump on the casket, and given you a carefully crafted script and directions then there might be some similarity

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
seems Ricky can't take it...

Neither can Murali! And Ponting's is massively different becuase they shouldn't have to be sledged when they are at a presentation night! Big difference!

budz

Juniors
lockyno1 said:
Oh Christ! It was a bit of comedy! You are one of those clowns they are talking about in those articles. Who take it far too seriously.

Latest posts