What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of OLD Lang Park?

Brutus

Referee
I'm very similar. I'm a 1957 vintage.

Was at the '65 Grand Final, different one - Redcliffe v Valleys - Big Artie had just made the change from centre to second row and played a big part in Redcliffe's first Premiership win.

Been to every BRL / Queensland Cup Grand Final since then.

I remember going to a game at Langlands Park in about 1961 - would have been Wynnum v Easts - one of my brothers was playing on the wing for Wynnum at that time. I started going regularly in 1965 and my memories of the football start from then.

Hadn't thought about having seen the various tackle rules in my time - I think they'd just gone from a 3 yard to a 5 yard ruck when I started going.

What was your favourite grand final apart from 1982?

I went to the 1983 play-off for fifth spot at Lang Park.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
I'm '55 Vintage (trivia. Lang Park had a grass running track around it), and was hitching to Wests training at Lang Park (well before indoor cricket and Purtell) and got picked-up by Porky Morgan who told me that one day Qld teams would be playing in the Sydney comp. Classic.

Last edited:

XXXX Cap

Juniors
What was your favourite grand final apart from 1982?

I went to the 1983 play-off for fifth spot at Lang Park.

Apart from 1982 (and 1984, 1986 and 1995), my favourite and arguably the best game was in 1975 - Wests 26 def Redcliffe 24.

Outstanding standard of play, Redcliffe came back from 9 - 26 down and were attacking agan when the hooter went and the crowd invaded the field.

The Preacher

First Grade
I always followed Valleys due to Ross Strudwick going to Brisbane, and then followed the fortunes of The Devils as a junior coach of mine Bruce Warwick moved up there from North Sydney. Great goalkicker, in fact I think he was the top point scorer up there for two or three years in a row.

mud n blood

Juniors
You are indeed correct Preacher. Warwick was top points scorer in 1975 with a then record of 255 for the club season. He broke Norm Pope's 20 year record that year. He also finished top goalkicker for 2 years. He and Ian Dauth were the two best back then.

With respect to 1975, you are a man after my own heart XXXX. What a day. That was the first time I ever went back to the premiers club after the GF. I have vivid memories of a certain high-profile rep player and member of that Panthers side standing on the bar naked about 11pm that night !!!

I've been to every GF since the 1972 Jeff Fyfe field goal. 1982 was a special GF. We sat in the outer, walkway terrace right on half way. I even remember it being a hot humid day, with a sprinkle of showers during the game. Remember the blue in the Valleys-Redcliffe reggies final ? What a pearler ! Reddy got up by a point from memory. And a young Wayne Treleaven (amongst others) playing in the Wests U/18 win over Souths/Police Academy.

That 1985 GF was a cracker. 10-8 the Maggies held out the Seagulls in what I reckon was the greatest defensive effort I've seen in nearly 40 years of watching the game. The Seagulls just hammered Souths for 80 minutes. Had Wynnum-Manly won that day, I believe the 85 side would be regarded as better than the 84 side. Watched 1985 GF again the other night with a mate of mine. How Souths could turn the shamozzle of 1984 around was incredible. Normy Carr's try by shrugging off Wally is beautifully recalled in a series of six photos hanging in the Souths clubhouse.

What memories !

XXXX Cap

Juniors
I always followed Valleys due to Ross Strudwick going to Brisbane, and then followed the fortunes of The Devils as a junior coach of mine Bruce Warwick moved up there from North Sydney. Great goalkicker, in fact I think he was the top point scorer up there for two or three years in a row.

I'm pretty sure that Adam Warwick who played for Toowoomba in the Queensland Cup a few years back was Bruce's son.

The Preacher

First Grade
It was fantastic football in front of great crowds in those days. What a pity you can't see that these days. I suppose it's just the mighty $$$ that's ruined it.

Titanic

First Grade
Bruce was an excellent commentator imho. Where have all the archive games from those days gone. Ritchie Twist/Ian Robson = "champagn football".

Brutus

Referee
Well if you going to say that you may as well have the whole of Australia being Rugby League.

No.

I reckon we missed the boat by not merging the Tasmanian rugby league with the Thursday Island rugby league back in 1976.