What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pie in the Sky Bid

oikee

Juniors
Might work if the team bivouacked and played in Australia for the full season, just as a Fijian or PNG team in Australia would work. The Poms might be granted more concessions if only English players were involved but if ex-pat Aussies played they would have to have the same cap

The English team would be equivalent to a National Team so having Aussie teams full of jetlag as f**king canon fodder for bad teethed Poms to drool over getting beaten would be like showering with a raincoat on for Rugby League . . . tell Koukash he's dreaming

I think it would work better if they just had a English based side in Australia full-time, if we are going to grow the code.
Travelling would kill the idea.
Koukash is a ideas man.
So he should run, as fast as he can to another code.
I have submitted ideas to this code for 10 years. This code calls it spam.

adamkungl

Immortal
It's interesting enough and theoretically workable.

But the biggest question - What's the point? There is no sensible reason to have an English team play in the Australian comp when England already has a professional comp.

In true Rugby League pie in the sky style, the people behind this idea have leapfrogged over countless more realistic and workable ideas because clearly they're just too sensible.

Buy an NRL team or throw cash into France/Italy/Wales/Scotland/Ireland ya silly bastard.

Saint Doc

Coach
I can't see the TV rights holder(s) supporting this concept or it adding any value to our next broadcast rights deal. It would need to be on a 12hr delay to be on prime time TV over here, and who is going to wait that long to watch a game. For half the season it would pretty much be one televised game that would bring very little benefit.

I agree it wouldn't add anything to the local broadcast deal...but what if the NRL gained a new deal with NRL on primetime on BBC?

Not advocating it, but it's not just about Ch9. A new broadcast partner grows the pool of money potentially more than just growing the current pot of money

I'm not saying its a good idea or a bad idea, but this man is seriously rich and wants to invest in Rugby League.
The authorities that be should have a meeting with the man and discuss his ideas and see if something could be worked out that benefits Rugby League as a whole.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I'm not saying its a good idea or a bad idea, but this man is seriously rich and wants to invest in Rugby League.
The authorities that be should have a meeting with the man and discuss his ideas and see if something could be worked out that benefits Rugby League
as a whole.

Agreed. Some of his ideas, like this one may be open to ridicule, but he doesn't want to accept the status quo and is always putting forward ideas that would help RL get stronger exposure and potential growth. I don't see anything bad in that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One thing I'll give him, he knows how to keep his mug in the paper! The NRL consider any expansîon a risk, they would wet their pants at the challenges in his idea. Come and bankroll the Pirates marvin. We've got nice race tracks for your horses and plenty of business to make you more squillions.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed. Some of his ideas, like this one may be open to ridicule, but he doesn't want to accept the status quo and is always putting forward ideas that would help RL get stronger exposure and potential growth. I don't see anything bad in that.

He can't get 3000 fans through the gate to watch his club play. He might actually get some rl credibility if he showed signs of turning salford around to a successful club.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's theoretically possible, it gains the NRL direct access to at least some parts of the English market and it'd open up the NRL to the opportunity to gain another valuable broadcasting deal in the UK and it'd help grow the game internationally.

There's only two problems, it'd be incredibly expensive and incredibly risky.

I'm not saying that the NRL shouldn't at least entertain the idea, but I wouldn't even take it seriously until Koukash agrees to underwrite the team for at least a decade and shows interest in the NRLs broadcasting rites from large broadcasting companies in Britain (such as the BBC) if the NRL has a team based in Britain.

So basically the NRL shouldn't even seriously look into the proposal until Koukash proves that the team would be sustainable for at least a decade and that the NRL would get a broadcasting deal on main channels all across Britain (and possibly Europe) worth at least half as much (if not more) then what we get from our Australian and NZ broadcasting deals, and only then once he's got those things would I seriously look at giving him a license.
But I doubt that he could get that sort of support for the team in Britain.

It might seem like a lot to ask for to some, but if the team were to fail it would be the NRLs name that would get dragged through the mud not Koukash's and the effects on international RL if the team failed could be immense, so he'd have to make this team worth the risk and the investment.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
He can't get 3000 fans through the gate to watch his club play. He might actually get some rl credibility if he showed signs of turning salford around to a successful club.

Short sighted. One individual can't force or coerce people to show up. Neither can they click their fingers and turn a club from a failure to a success. Just because a crowd doesn't turn up doesn't mean everything he touches is destined to fail.

It's up to those in charge with better rugby league credentials to have a closer look at how best to utilise his ideas, and money, and to find out whether or not it could work.

Dismissing him because his club only brings in 3000 or people think he's just an attention whore is foolish. All possible avenues should be explored, even if it's no more than a phone call/email conversation.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why would it lead to a valuable UK TV rights deal when 90% of the league games will be live in a terrible time slot, and also under the proposal in the article, the first three months of the English team games which are all played away?

What would this do the integrity of the ESL? Would that go the same way as the local Brisbane comp?

Terrible idea that would do more harm than good to the game in the UK...

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why would it lead to a valuable UK TV rights deal when 90% of the league games will be live in a terrible time slot, and also under the proposal in the article, the first three months of the English team games which are all played away?

That's why I say the the NRL shouldn't even look into the idea seriously until Koukash can prove that there're broadcasters in Britain (and/or Europe) willing to pay big bucks for the rights to broadcast the NRL if a British team is in the competition, because as you say simply having a British team in the NRL doesn't mean that Broadcasters will be interested in the rights to the NRL.

I still wouldn't be willing to go ahead with the idea even if there were broadcasters on board and willing to pay significant amounts of money to gain the rights, if they were unwilling to broadcast all the NRL games and were only interested in the British teams games.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I've thought this idea over a little since first hearing about it, and I've come to the conclusion that it'd be insanity to admit one British team into the NRL.

If one British team were admitted into the NRL (especially if that team were successful), then it's likely that team would do what the Broncos did to the BRL teams (as BuffaloRules suggested) and suck all of the sponsorship money, publicity, interest, etc out of not only the ESL teams, but likely many of the current NRL teams as well!

A single British team would have a domino effect that would start in Britian with the smaller clubs going bankrupt as their sponsorship jumped into bed with the British NRL team in a bid to get their brand in front of the eyes of more people, then in a bid to get their brands seen by more eyes the sponsors of smaller teams in Australia would all leave their clubs and move to get in bed with the more popular clubs in Australia that have higher rates of viewers in both Australia and Britain.

So basically the majority of ESL and NRL teams would quickly become unsustainable, I reckon that give or take every club except the NZ warriors, Broncos, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs, Wigan Warriors, Warrington, St Helens, Catalans and maybe (basically I'm unsure of these clubs) St Gogre, Melbourne, the Roosters and the Eels would all go bankrupt in under 2 decades.

(BTW there were heaps of clubs in the ESL that I don't know enough about to say whether or not they'd survive such a change in the structure of the step up of the sport internationally, so I left them out of my list of most likely (and I stress most likely) survivors, but there's one thing that I can say for sure, that significantly more of these clubs that I left out would go the way of the dodo then would survive.)

This would kill the NRL's access to most of the markets that they have direct access to at the moment to in favor getting their foot in the door of one big one (Britain), and there'd be no promises that once they got their foot in the door that they'd be successful in the British market.

So the only way to alleviate that risk of creating one club so powerful that it crushers all the others and still gain access to the British market, would be to admit multiple teams from Britain into the NRL!

Admitting at least 6-10 would spread the sponsorship money, interest, etc out enough that you wouldn't create a team that was so large that it kills all the smaller ones in it's wake, but it isn't feasible to have teams crossing across the world so many times a year to play games against each other, so these 6-10 teams would have to be introduced in a conference.

Also some sort of system would have to be figured out that saw teams from the British conference and Australian conference play a certain amount of teams from the opposite conference in a year (for example each team would play each team in their conference once/twice/whatever and 4 teams (2 home and 2 away) from the other conference once, or something like that), otherwise I can't see there being enough added value or interest from the fans to make a British conference worth the the initial investment that it would cost to set up let alone the ongoing costs it would gobble up to keep it running.

Even still if you introduced this British conference you'd still be killing the ESL and maybe a few NRL clubs, there's no way completely around it that I know of, however you do it there'll be losses.

So now it comes down to the real question would a British team or more realistically conference be worth sacrificing the ESL, the majority of the ESL's clubs, possibly the RFL it's self (at least as we know it) and most likely at least a few NRL clubs!?

I reckon it would be worth it, but only if the NRL were 100% certain that it would work and the added money would not only cover the costs of running this British conference, but greatly increased the NRL's income and ability to spread the sport as a whole.

Unfortunately you can never be 100% about anything, and I think that the risk would be much to great. Worst case scenario if the plan failed it'd likely take the sport back to a similar position to what it was in in the 70's in Australia and in a much worse position in England.

Come back with the idea of a global tournament when Humanity has developed a much faster way to travel, or when RL is a lot more popular in Britain and NRL (or a similar company) makes hundreds of billions of dollars, then we'll talk about it again.

The Great Dane

First Grade
And the impact of an Englush NRL team on the Super League?

Doesn't matter?

No, not at all.

It just took 2 hours (including interruptions) to assemble most of my thoughts on the implications of a British team (more realistically a British conference, as I explained in my other post) on that matter and the others related to it into one post.

I thought I'd address your thoughts on broadcast rights separately as I knew that typing out my other observations would take me a long time and would lead to a very big post that didn't need to be made bigger by adding my partial agreement with your post on top of it.

As to whether or not the NRL/ARLC should worry about the impact they may have on the ESL, the ESL clubs and RFL, well that's matter of moral opinion.
However from a purely business point of view (which I don't really think would be the best approach in this instance) no they shouldn't give a fly f##k about the effect they may have on the ESL or RFL, unless that effect negatively effects them as well.

pHyR3

Juniors
No, not at all.

It just took 2 hours (including interruptions) to assemble most of my thoughts on the implications of a British team (more realistically a British conference, as I explained in my other post) on that matter and the others related to it into one post.

I thought I'd address your thoughts on broadcast rights separately as I knew that typing out my other observations would take me a long time and would lead to a very big post that didn't need to be made bigger by adding my partial agreement with your post on top of it.

As to whether or not the NRL/ARLC should worry about the impact they may have on the ESL, the ESL clubs and RFL, well that's matter of moral opinion.
However from a purely business point of view (which I don't really think would be the best approach in this instance) no they shouldn't give a fly f##k about the effect they may have on the ESL or RFL, unless that effect negatively effects them as well.

if you want to increase the international game and therefore increase the pie of rugby league, then yes that does matter.

Titanic

First Grade
If he can't buy in to an existing franchise then why not spend his hard-earned on establishing a Euro League? And no, I certainly don't want a British team in the NRL.

siv

First Grade
Time for the ARLC to step in and say the premier competition will be Australia based

The Great Dane

First Grade
Time for the ARLC to step in and say the premier competition will be Australia based

Why?

If there's money to be made overseas and it's beneficial to both the NRL and the sport as a whole then why not expand overseas.

Would you argue that having the NZ Warriors playing in the NRL has been a negative for the growth of RL in not only NZ but also the Pacific Islands and Australia? Or that Catalans playing in the ESL has been a negative?

Because I'm certain that in both cases RL grew in popularity and participation because of the addition of each team not only in both NZ and France but also in Australia, England and the Pacific Islands.

So again, Why restrict the NRL to an Australian competition and/or the ESL to a British competition when that isn't in our interests?

Titanic

First Grade
It's a big stretch to argue that Australia/NZ joining GB/France is a natural expansion pathway. Sure, the Oceania argument has merit as could a Europe debate.

But when even the worldwide reach of roundball and yawnion can't get the two hemisphere's into one comp then we would be kidding ourselves to try it on the back of one blokes cheque book. Let's not forget that Murdoch reamed us with that already.

Latest posts