What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pirating the game

Azkatro

First Grade
I think the publishers - or whoever's responsible for not producing enough copies to meet demand - is responsible for providing a fertile breeding ground for piracy of the game. Yesterday I overheard someone being told that he would have to wait for March at the earliest to get his hands on a copy. With so many people out there without a copy, where do you think they'll turn?

So a big DER goes out to whoever made the decision on printing numbers, particularly if it results in enough piracy of the game to prevent, or at least severely hinder it from being furthered.

theVodkaCircle

Juniors
But also take into consideration the outlay in finances and the risk of over producing a game when the market is untested for years as far as league games. I think youre trying to legitimise piracy personally.

Azkatro

First Grade
Hey settle down, I'm only trying to call it how I see it! I fully understand the circumstances surrounding production numbers and not wanting to go too far over etc. I'm not legitimising piracy, and I definitely don't support it - I bought two copies of the game myself for the PC and PS2. If I was supporting piracy I wouldn't have cared enough to make this comment in the first place.

I think the issue occurs with the amount of time people have to wait to get their hands on a copy. Surely the producers would have been able to see the sheer number of preorders, but it seems almost as if they've ignored that completely. A mate of mine up in QLD ordered three copies, one for himself and two for friends, and has been told that - despite preordering - that he'll only be able to get one copy for now.

Considering the number of presold copies made by the time the TV ads came out, which would have added enormous interest in the product, bringing the attention to all those who don't have the Internet or keep with the times etc - that sort of thing would have just about doubled sales right there, especially when you look at what's around the corner. But clearly the producers have ignored that and now there is a mass shortage. Most people who found out about the game through the ad will be plain disappointed. They go to EB or similar, and get told that they have to wait until March. This is where I believe the issue is - a large number of people will inevitably turn to obtaining a pirated copy instead of waiting that long.

mikdalton

Juniors
What if the game had been rubbish? They wouldn't have sold nearly as many and would have made a huge loss.

If they'd have waited till they'd have printed enough copies people would have gone mental. At least some people have got the game, I don't begrudge the fact that others have got it, I just want it for myself.

Piracy will happen no matter what. The people who tend to use pirate games will use it whether it out in half an hour or half a year, they'll just use this as an excuse.

March seems to be unreasonable. Seeing as though probably all of the copies have been printed off in the space of a month or so, why will it take 4 months for another batch?

Mario

Juniors
Azaktro,

Your assessment of the situation is made without knowledge of what is happening behind the scenes and is frankly quite wrong.

The only ones creating a fertile ground for piracy are the pirates themselves.

Anyone who wants to see a followup to this game would do well to not discuss the matter and to discourage it when they come across it.

yakstorm

First Grade
March??? They must of gone to EB or somewhere where there is a huge amount of backorders to fill.

There are a number of places which I have seen today which still have copies available including in Hornsby. The game has sold extremely well, though I doubt sold out completely yet (give it a week).

Razor

Coach
Azkatro said:
They go to EB or similar, and get told that they have to wait until March.

EB Loganholme will have shelf stock in the middle of January (although when I was there to pick mine up people were pre-ordering those copies, so they might be sold out)

Lots of places, like Big W, don't pre-order so there will be shelf stock.

Anonymous

Juniors
Azkatro, the game is still readily available. We have sent out all the orders here at Leagueunlimited and still have a some left over to help with late orders before Christmas - and I reckon the same can be said for other outlets.
As Yak said, give it a week and they'll be all gone... after that, the March story might have some currency.

But be cautious laddies and laddies with this talk of piracy 8) Loose lips sinks ships, we're sailing close to the wind... and other cliches. ;-)

Azkatro

First Grade
Ok guys, I realise this is a touchy issue, so sorry if I've overstepped the mark with my comments. I didn't want to give the wrong impression but just wanted to state some feelings I had based on a few things I'd seen and heard.

Now without further ado, a lovely Aussie Post chap working hard on a Saturday has made the marvellous effort of leaving the game in my garage so I can start playing it :) Cyas in a week!

axl rose

Bench
budz said:
Crippler said:
according to this site (totally legal site)
http://www.izonews.com/release.php3?releaseid=87455

Rugby LEague is already pirated
Well thats expected.

Chandlers here in Lismore were given 1 COPY! ( which was taken by a staff member) I hate to see that its being pirated but it was predictable.

Group 1 is a massive Rugby League nursery with a big fan base who are mad about the game so this was always going to happen. From what ive been told at all stores, Harvey Norman, K Mart, Chandlers lol demand is way exceeding supply. And i could judge that for myself anyway because everytime i went in there were 3 or 4 people asking for it on ps2 and being told it was all gone. Anyway its a complete shambles so i hope they learn from it and do a better job for the next version.

Matt M

Juniors
I find this part from that site just funny

"please, please buy this like we did, we need more games like this and we
need to support the developers!
so if you try it and like it.
then buy it you tightarse."

If you want people to buy it then don't put it on a site you d**khead! If people download it and like it then why would they go and buy it, they already have it!

Caged Panther

First Grade
Got sick and tired of telling people at work today that we had none left on ps2, so we just put up a sign that sure fixed that problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:

trigger

Juniors
I no of someone who go that pirated version :x and in the tar archive theres only 41 of the 56 files

StHelens

Juniors
Matt M said:
I find this part from that site just funny

"please, please buy this like we did, we need more games like this and we
need to support the developers!
so if you try it and like it.
then buy it you tightarse."

If you want people to buy it then don't put it on a site you d**khead! If people download it and like it then why would they go and buy it, they already have it!

I was gonna post the same thing, just takes the piss really doesnt it! :roll:

Monkey

Juniors
hmm i'm suspicious...

"INSTALLATION NOTES:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
copy exe from razor1911 dir and put it into your installation dir"

razor? i hope this aint the same razor who comes on this forum. probably worng, n i hope i am to be honest.

Anonymous

Juniors
unbelivable

I cant believe anyone would consider pirating and option.
We knew this game was coming for ages if someone wanted it bad enough you could of pre ordered it.

christ willow has even said they still have copies now.

Anyone who copies this is scum in my book

Goleel

Juniors
Could be one of those dodgy copies people were going to put out there with edited files and viruses or something similar. Sadly I don't think it would be though.

Latest posts