What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plan to use GPS technology in NRL footballs to track forward passes

DC_fan

Coach
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=387825&highlight=FORWARD+PASSES&page=3

23-07-2011, 09:56 PM
DC_fan
user_online.gif

Juniors
rank1.gif

icon1.gif
Re: How do we fix bad forward pass calls?
Gps

Obviously the NRL have been reading my posts and stealing my ideas.

Ozzy

First Grade
Why not just use ulltra sonics or radar around the field to pick up the ball in relation to the player as he passes the ball. :sarcasm:

counterpuncher

Juniors
Isn't this one of the only things we pay touch judges for? Do these blokes get dropped for missing the howlers as well?....we only ever hear about the refs.

If the touchies lifted their game, we wouldn't even need to discuss this.

The Red Afro

Juniors
Why dont they just put an accelerometer in the ball?

If after Point A when a player passes the ball, the ball gains forward acceleration (ie. passed forward out of the hands) then it could alert an official.

Not sure how reliable it'd be, but it negates the use of satellites which have a tendency to be unfit during some weather/geographical limitations.

The technology will know the velocity of the ball BEFORE it is passed and if it accelerates towards the opposing try line when leaving the hands, it's a forward pass. If it travels forward but at a speed less than or equal to what it was when it left the hands, it'll be legal.
If it works, people will be shocked at just how far forward long passes travel whilst still being within the rules. People will swear the technology doesn't work.

If only the average league supporter understood a very basic concept in physics :(.

Last edited:

Ozzy

First Grade

If after Point A when a player passes the ball, the ball gains forward acceleration (ie. passed forward out of the hands) then it could alert an official.

Not sure how reliable it'd be, but it negates the use of satellites which have a tendency to be unfit during some weather/geographical limitations.

If only the average league supporter understood a very basic concept in physics :(.
Because you will get acceleration when you pass no matter what direction it will be passed.

adamkungl

Immortal

I suspect this is the actual tech in play. The article said

A signal is sent via satellite to computer grid in the video referee's box within a quarter of a second.

To me it sounds like that the satellite is merely a means of communication rather than the actual means of tracking the ball.

Ozzy

First Grade
I suspect this is the actual tech in play. The article said

To me it sounds like that the satellite is merely a means of communication rather than the actual means of tracking the ball.
They GPS uses satellite positions to locate a position of a unit on the ground.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Why not use multiple camera angles to determine the inital forward speed of the ball and check it against the speed immediately after the ball is passed?

Ozzy

First Grade
Why not just have robots programmed to pass backwards or at the most line balls?

Apey

Staff member
The technology will know the velocity of the ball BEFORE it is passed and if it accelerates towards the opposing try line when leaving the hands, it's a forward pass. If it travels forward but at a speed less than or equal to what it was when it left the hands, it'll be legal.
If it works, people will be shocked at just how far forward long passes travel whilst still being within the rules. People will swear the technology doesn't work.

this ^

Didgi

Good to see everyone prepared to actually find out how it fully works before shooting it down.

RufusRex

Post Whore
suck it and see .. thats all ...

there has to be some serious physics involved. The coaches will then start to try and break it ...

What happens if a player is stationary, thrusts his hands forward quickly then pops the ball forward? extreme case i know.

Also if the sensors are on the surface of the ball then how does the spiral motion of the pass affect it - is it different for balls spinning clockwise/anti clockwise.

Finally, which ball is active - games are played with more than one ball .. would hate for the beeper to go off in a grand final because some ball boy is stuffing around with the ball 100m away from the play.

DEfinately worth investigating though.