What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plane Crashes Into World Trade Centre

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo, one of the networks, in an effort to get more ratings, is claiming their coverage to be 'commercial free'... its not the ABC. Naturally, they won't mention any sell-on rights.

I only know this because I saw one of the adverts during the week... I actuallyhave no interest in watching it and no desire to subject the young'uns to it.

really? Seven is it??

The ch7 show is just starting. Its going to be freaky watching this, i dont know why i am actually, probably just curiosity getting the better of me

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Mate, if it was just swearing I wouldnt bat an eyelid.
I'm sure its all gloomy and showing faces of desperate people. I'd say its going with the graphic slow motion imagery of destruction... dark music as well? Just a guess.
A recipe fornightmares in any case.
Sorry,I suppose some people want to be moved by it all.

V

Vertigo

<u>LET'S ROLL !!!</u>

All were loved,
now they're loved more still,
since evil sent evildoers here to kill,
Fathers, sons, friends, lovers,
daughters, wives, children, mothers,
swallowed up, vaporised, disappeared,
snuffed out by hatred,
we should have feared,
even those that jumped,
did not choose to die,
it was simple murder,
from a clear blue sky.

but the lost live on,
their words remain,
testimony to a nations pain,
a shout of rage,
a gasped goodbye,
'Why me, why now, why here-why?'
a defiant voice from a hijacked jet,
a husbands yell-'I'll get out yet!'
a sobbing cry....then no more,
a calm farewell from the 100th floor.

These messages crossed,
great unknown,
epitaphs written by mobile phone,
each word immortalised-
they will not die,
one mans courage is now a battlecry:
amid the screams of Flight 93
Todd Beamer faced his destiny,
he knew the risk,but
did not fear the toll,
his last words to us ...

...'OK, Let's roll !!!'.

By Peter Smith

fetch.dll

0911_ny_lg.jpg

What can i say? The doco last night on seven was like nothing else i have ever seen. Can't describe it, it was just......eerie

moffo

S

SpaceMonkey

I thought the Seven doco last night was brilliant. It totally brought across the magnitude of the events that it was documenting without resorting to graphic or exploitative footage. It also completely avoided political or moral grandstanding (not a politician in sight!).
For those who didn't catch it or hear about it it was filmed by a couple of french filmakers who had been making a documentary about a rookie fireman and were filming with one of the fire crews when the first plane hit. The crew (and cameraman) rushed straight to the scene and were inside tower 1 filming the operations right up until tower 2 collapsed. They then continued filming right through the evacuation and later clean up and rescue. The best thing about it is the entire thing was filmed and narrated by people who were actually there with the rescue crews at the time. They never intended to make a domerkinary about 9/11, but through circumstances ended up with footage of the entire event unfolding. When they edited this footage into a documentary they fconfined their subject matter to their first hand experience of the event, and didn't try to insert any political or moral messages or opinions into it. As such it cannot be accused of being a commercial cash in or exploitative in any way, and good on Seven for screening it uninterrupted.

L

legend

There was another program on Seven that showed the scientific reason behind why the WTC collapsed and it was excellent and informative.

Things such as inadequate fireproofing of the trusses and the sloppy job that caused certain sections to buckle under the intense heat of the burning aviation fuel which gave off the same level of energy as a nuclear power station. Mind boggling stuff.

Channel nine were simply rehashing exactly what they did last year and came off second best IMO with guys like Ray Martin making me sick with their pathetic attempts at genuine sorrow.

Gav-bt

Juniors
Thye showed a prog on Discovery SciTrek about the Tiwn Towers and how things might have been different. Experts who were involved in their construction seemed to be of the opinion that stopping that kind of destruction would have required much more weight to each tower. IMO, if that extra weight had been required back in 1970, those towers wouldn't have been built.

El Duque

Bench
Was interesting watching a doco thing on the twin towers that was done pre the collapse and some structural engineer claimed that an aircraft flying into the towers would be just like a pencil going into a bit of paper and it would have no affect.He in fact thought it could withstand 10 aeroplanes going intoit.How wrong they were and the doco later said that the guy who said this was in the towers at the time and died.

S

SpaceMonkey

I missed that one as I was watching NRL on Fox at the time :):)but it sounds like Seven had all of the worthwhile coverage, while the others simply tried to cash in with rehashed footage and presenters going all out for an oscar with fake displays of emotion.

Gav-bt

Juniors
BTW, I started a thread just after Willows but deleted it. Now, I wished I had kept it here, even though Willows had built up a head of steam.

Dont know if this is true or not.....but anyways
<br clear=all>
<center> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=544 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>
sp.gif
</td> <td>
sp.gif
</td> <td>
sp.gif
</td> <td>
sp.gif
</td></tr> <tr> <td></td> <td valign=top>
17529-1000134001.gif

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width=128 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td width=128>Iraq Agrees To Weapons Inspectors Iraq Accepts Weapons Inspectors
12:50 am Text Of Annan's Statement On Iraq
12:40 am Iraq Weapons Glance
12:20 am Iraq Weapons Inspections Timeline
12:20 am Iraq To Accept Weapons Inspectors
12:10 am U.s. Gets 5 Al-qaida Suspects
11:10 pm S. Korea Probes U.s. Troops In Brawl
10:30 pm Israeli Troops Shoot, Kill Egyptian
10:20 pm A Look At Aids Statistics In Africa
10:20 pm </td></tr></tbody></table> From the Associated Press

</td> <td></td> <td valign=top>Iraq Agrees To Weapons Inspectors
Tuesday September 17, 2002 12:50 AM UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Iraq agreed Monday to allow the return of weapons inspectors in order to ``remove any doubts'' it still has weapons of mass destruction, the Mideast nation said in a letter to U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan. ``The government of the republic of Iraq has based its decision concerning the return of inspectors on its desire to complete the implementation of relevant security council resolutions and to remove any doubts that Iraq still possesses weapons of mass destruction.'' Iraq's Foreign Minister Naji Sabri gave the letter to Annan, who announced the stunning turnabout in Iraq's position on the inspectors. In the letter, Iraq called on the Security Council members, which includes the United States, to ``respect the sovereignty, territorial integrity and political independence of Iraq.'' The letter further said that Iraq was responding to an earlier appeal by Annan for Baghdad's compliance with Security Council resolutions calling for unfettered access to inspectors, and to an appeal by the Arab League and other Islamic countries. Annan forwarded the letter to all 15 members of the U.N. Security Council and to the chief weapons inspector, Hans Blix. It was not clear when the council would meet to consider the letter. ``I can confirm to you that I have received a letter from the Iraqi authorities conveying its decision to allow the return of inspectors without conditions to continue their work,'' a pleased Annan told reporters, nearly four years after inspectors left Iraq. ``There is good news,'' Sabri said moments earlier. The Iraqi foreign minister refused to comment further and left U.N. headquarters after a day of negotiations on the text of the letter. Sabri and Arab League chief Amr Moussa had met late with Annan to transmit the letter from the Iraqi government. ``I'm now passing the letter to the Security Council and they will have to decide what they do next and of course Mr. Blix and his team will be ready to continue their work,'' Annan said. He wouldn't answer any questions from reporters but his office was preparing to release the text of the letter. Under Security Council resolutions, sanctions imposed on Iraq after its 1990 invasion of Kuwait cannot be lifted until U.N. inspectors certify that its weapons of mass destruction have been destroyed. Inspectors left the country in 1998 ahead of U.S. and British airstrikes to punish Iraq for not cooperating with inspections. Since then, Iraq has refused to allow inspectors to return, and the stalemate had split the United States, Britain, Russian, France and China - the five powerful members of the U.N. Security Council. The turnabout in Iraq, after four years of stalemate, came days after President Bush addressed the U.N. General Assembly debate and said that Iraq must comply with Security Council resolutions or face the consequences. Annan credited Bush late Monday. ``I believe the president's speech galvanized the international community,'' Annan said. Top Bush aides huddled after Annan's announcement, preparing a response. Annan said the Arab league had played a key role in bringing about the Iraqi response. Annan thanked the league's chief, Amr Moussa of Egypt, ``for his strenuous efforts in helping to convince Iraq to allow the return of the inspectors.''
</td></tr></tbody></table></center> http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2020154,00.html Just read it whilst browsing Moffo

L

legend

It will be interesting to see what happens next because I believe Bush was preparing for war and the stalling of Iraq on the return of the weapons inpsectors may have given Iraq enough time to use an elaborate system of non detection for their weapons.

All the support he had established over the last 24 hours will now be washed away with the letter from the Iraqi foreign minister. I wouldnt be surprised to see the U.S thumb their nose at the U.N and still have a crack at Iraq.

El Duque

Bench
I think Bush is just a mad prick who wants to finnish off what his Daddy didn't.

Iraq letting inspectors in will piss the prick off.

O

ozbash

a little thing like the iraq's agreeing to inspectors wont stop george, he will be looking for the first hint of non-compliance,anti americanism or knocking shops not offering a discount to the marines and he will be in. boots and all.
it is the ultimate in inevitability and imo,well past time.

kofi annan and his mates at the UN are playing with themselves if they think diplomacy or rhetoric will salve this sore........

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This whole thing has a sense of dejavu about it.. didn't Saddam hold off the US once before by stringing them on... only to 'cave in' at the last moment?

Some things never change. Its all some elaborate ruse to make both sides look like they know what they're doing... its a load of crap.