What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plane Crashes Into World Trade Centre

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There's a lot of dramatic language there Ozbash but its pretty much tells the tale. Sections of the community are bitterly divided on this issue and its going to get worst before it gets better.

I thought id send this back up with the current issues in the Middle East. The Israelites have moved forward with tanks and are moving into areas of Bethlehem. Now, Israel are roundly hated by most other countries in the middle east. Israel have control of Yasser Arafats compound. To me it looks like there is a huge collision around the corner involving the Middle East/Israel and the USA.

Now, there are many theories as to why the 9/11 attacks took place. Profiteering, Anti-US sentiment etc etc. I think it was a direct protest at the US policies in the middle east. Now, since these attacks, the US have been critical of Israel on several occasions, almost distancing themselves from the actions of that group. Its obviously a 2 headed coin, but Israel look to be the main protagonists. Have they alienated themselves to such an extent that their no1 supporter (The US), is leaving them??

And what does this all mean for the middle east? If the US could somehow distance themselves from the situation, then maybe, just maybe, people in the middle east might take a more balanced view of the US and their policies. The main source of hatred against the US stems from their involvement in the Israel conflict. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If the US are genuine about finding a solution to this problem, than we can only hope that they at least distance themselves from the aggressive Israel stance.

Cheers,
Moffo.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Interesting theory Moffo.
Listening to Israeli leaders talking on the TV is pretty clear that they still see themselves as the victims in all this. Its a load of bollocks offcourse. I mean, how many more Palenstinians have to die before we admit to it being genocide.
When the plane crashed into the WTC, I was worried that it would give Israel an open invitation to slaughter more Arabs. At first, there was talk of peace and for a moment it looked like sanity was about to prevail but unfortunately, that didnt last long.

Now we see Palenstinians being killed because its supposedly to do the west's 'war against terrorism'. What a load of crap. A country isnt more civilised simply because they have tanks the planes. A kid chucking rocks isnt neccessarily a terrorist.

Have a listen to Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon talking. He has now calling it a war on Palenstine...why? For crying out loud. Does this mean he is going to get tough now? What did we have before? Wasn't it good enough that these people were already getting smashed and for all intents and purposes are on their knees?

Surely this will only lead to the other Arab states getting involved and more instability...and yeah, more terrorists.

Yeh, more terrorists Willow...the sad reality

The world will never be free of terrorists...If the Americans think they can achieve this, they are truly deluded

Moffo.

the way i see it you peeple can do business with these terriersists.
if i wuz you i would sell them some food - this is a good start. - everbuddy knows that by feeding citizens we keep them happy. its easy to control them after that.

L

legend

Just thought I would bring this classic back to the surface in the leadup to the first anniversary of the biggest single event in my lifetime. When I think back now it is still so unbeliveable that all this actually happened and whenever I see a movie with the twin towers in it, I reflect for a brief second knowing that those monuments to capitalism no longer stand. Eerie indeed.

L

legend

BTW, can everyone remember what they were doing when they heard of this attack?

I was half asleep in bed and my brother in law ran into our room saying that someone had launched an attack on the U.S and I told him to get out of my room until I realised he was serious. The next day as I was walking to work the faces of the people around me were either not visible though the Telegraph or completely stone faced at the realisation that the world had been changed forever.

H

Hass

I can remember more from the 12th of September (as it was for us) than any other day in my lifetime...

I had actually gone to bed after midnight, however had decided to turn off the radio and the TV just to get a bit of relaxation.

I woke up at about 6:30 am when my Wallace and Grommit radio alarm clock woke me up to the sounds of The Andrew Denton Breakfast Show on Triple M. Normally Andrew Denton is extremely funny. The only time he was ever serious on the show was when he was talking about South Sydney's case for re-admission into the NRL.

Andrew Denton was not talking about Souths and he was deadly serious. I knew something was up as people were ringing up and crying over the airwaves. I was told that America was under attack. I switched on the TV in my bedroom to Channel 9 where there was footage of a harbour with the insignia "America Under Attack" spewed across the bottom of the screen.

Normally I need a shower to be able to function in the morning, however my eyes were fixated to the screen, I was in a state of shock. Even when I slipped out of shock for a moment I felt that it would be wrong of me not to be shocked. It took me about 30 minutes to get dressed, taking at least a minute to do up each button on my shirt. By this time I had already seen numerous replays of the Towers collapsing, and I knew I had to go downstairs to have some breakfast.

I then raced down the driveway at my place, which takes a good 10 seconds or so as it is a battleaxe block. Upon opening up the Front Page of the Telegraph had a black and white picture of the pane hitting the tower with the headline "ACT OF WAR". I was chilled to the bone and after running out of time to have any cereal I quickly took an apple out of the fridge to eat on the run. I was already running late for my train.

I had to speed up to make sure I got to the station on time. A thousand thoughts were running through my head and I felt like I had a fever and was full of sweat, however I don't think I was actually perspiring. I ended up getting to the station with minutes to spare in the end as without knowing it I had just been compelled to walk faster than I'd ever walked before.

I walked down the platform at Narwee Station to the second last light tower in order to be able to enter the train through the first door of the back carriage like I did every day. I used to see two good friends of mine at the station everyday who I would talk to before catching the train. I didn't want to bring the subject up in case he had not heard about it, so after a long silence he finally broke the silence by "Did you see the World Trade Centre". I gave an uneasy "yeah, it was bad wasn't it" before resuming the silence.

Upon getting on the train I took my regular position in the foyer holding onto the bar as there was no chance of me getting a seat at that time of the moring. A colleague of mine had the Sydney Morning Herald and we started discussing it. I then noticed that unlike at the Station, everybody on the train was talking to anybody about it. There was no other topic of conversation.

As the train trip went on three more people I knew came into my carriage. Normally I only caught the train in with one of my mates. One talked about a book his Mother had been reading that detailed an attack similar to the one we had seen that morning. The other two were good blokes who had the most warped sense of humous. No subject was taboo for them and they proceded to roll of a list of jokes about the subject already. I don't know how many people they offended, but the ability to laugh gave me some relief.

We then got off the train at St. James station, and the next thing I can remember upon getting into town is walking through the front door and thinking the place was a ghost town. I eventually found about 150 people in a room that was better designed to fit 30. Everyone's eyes were focussed on TV. I remember the feeling throughout the room was that World War III had started.

When it was finally time to start work, TV's remained on watching the CNN Feed of the event. There was then a brief memorial service held where prayers were offered and reflections made. Not much work got done on that day.

I remember a few people who either came from America or who had relatives over there not lasting out the first hour as they were just so distraught they had to go home. Eventually it was time for morning tea and a large group of us went up on to the roof to get some fresh air and have a bite to eat. There was amass airing of views. Everybody had an opinion. Talk about every war in the history of man came to the surface. There was also a heated discussion as those with pretty prejudiced views started condemning anything that was closely related to Islam or Muslims ingeneral. It was a real dogfight.

Out of nowhere, without any warning the sky went grey. Two seconds later it was raining, and two seconds after that it was hailing like the banshees. To make a run to the stairs would have seen you get pelted by hail, so instead around 20 of us gathered under the one bit of shelter on the roof that was the permanent umbrella. It was a decent size, however when the lightning came we were starting to worry that some of us were having to lean against the metal pole.

The downpour of hail continued for 10 minutes straight. It just kept coming. Then as quickly as it has come, it was gone. The sun was back out and everybody looked at eachother knowing this wasn't their normal day.

At the end of the day we went home on the train in a rather large group of about 9 or 10. The train was notably rather empty, however it was full of discarded papers. I'd never seen so many papers on a train in my life. Almost all of us were able to pick up and read a paper for ourselves. There had already been two more editions put out since the morning paper I had read screaming "Act Of War". When I got off the train I would by a fourth edition of that day's paper. We had all looked at the side by side pictures of the New York skyline with the Towers and the skyline without the Towers. We were in awe.

I got home and came in the front door to see the TV on CNN. I stayed glued to the Pay TV News channel for the rest of the night. I also made time to go on the internet, which led me to here and this very thread. I read various international newspapers, however my most vivid memory was of going to the Britsh Channel 4 cricket forum where I had been a regular. For about three weeks we'd had one of the best threads going entitled "Hating The Yanks". Every single conceivable thing that Americans could do to get on your nerves had been listed. It goes without saying that there was a couple of messages there saying that it was fair to say this brought an end to the thread. It left a real feeling of guilt in each forummer's chest and this was expressed with quite a few apologies.

However the one thing that sticks out in my mind the most was sitting around the dinner table at around 9:30 on the night that was the 11th of September. A discussion was going on about the issues of the day such as the Tampa crisis, and it jumped to International politics. We got talking about George W. Bush and I said "You know, America haven't had a war for a while. They're about due for one aren't they". The other poeple round the table said that I may just be right, however after talking about Bush being a bit of a trigger happy guy and China being a potential rival power the conversation drfited off into other areas.

I think the reason I was in shock the most was because I vividly remembered making that statement. It wasn't like I had been saying America were ready for a War on a constant basis. The last time I even discussed America and potential war was back in the January of that year when Bush was made President. The fact I made that statement for it to be fulfilled only two hours later still gets the chills running up my spine to this day.

At the time I thought the World has changed forever. And even though it has, it is amazing how life has just continued on and those attacks are now confined to history.

Cheers.

H

Hass

Actually, just as a matter of interest. This wasmy first post on this thread. Note it was only just after 7pm and it was already post No.# 145...

<table border=1 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td align=middle background=http://sc.communities.msn.com/themes/pby/img/mb/reply_bg.gif nowrap><a target=_top title="Add a reply to this message.">Reply</a>
c.gif
</td> <td width="100%"> <table border=0 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td> Recommend (0 recommendations so far)</td> <td align=right> Delete Message 145 of 728 in Discussion </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr> <td colspan=2 width="100%"> <table border=0 cellpadding=4 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td nowrap valign=top width="100%">From:Hass</td> <td nowrap valign=top>Sent:12/09/2001 7:21PM</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border=0 cellpadding=10 cellspacing=0 width="100%"> <tbody> <tr> <td> This is my first post on this thread (it's been a long day). And I thought I'd bring it back to a human level. It took me over half an hour to get dressed today. I left for the train station late, yet still managed to get to the station earlier than normal. When I reached my destination it was pointed out to me that I had not put my collar down over my tie......I was shocked.

Firstly- It was America...America just doesn't get attacked. Then it was the loss of life.As I looked around to people with family in America I was dumbstruck. While we argue over this incredibly important World Crisis, let's not forget, that thousands of ordinary people died today doing their everyday thing of going to work like you or I would do....talk of revenge or blame pales into insignifigance when you look at the immediate effects.

Cheers (a somewhat wishful "Cheers" at that)
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Thats freaky Hass, but a top read. I know it probably belongs in Ripleys Believe it Or not, but the Saturday before the attacks i was talking to a mate, and for a reason i will never understand, i told him that i thought America was going to far (i was talking about 'Americanisation of the world') at that time and i suggested that they would be attacked at some point in the near future. I can remember the spot, everything. It was also on a train, just as we left Warwick Farm.

On the actual night, i was well asleep but my brother woke me up at about 1am and said to 'come look at this'. I thought he had hooked into Nightmoves or something at the time :D. But what i saw was the most amazing site of all time. One tower was already down, and i had the misfortune of seeing the other one collapse right before my eyes. From memory, there was a news broadcast going, and in the background, the tower just dropped.

I was shocked. I was waiting for the next attack. I truly expected the worst, waiting for something to hit Australia. It was hard to sleep afterwards, didn't go off until about 3:30am. I still have it on tape, the first hour or two after the attacks, all on CNN. It is something i will never forget, nor the next day, where hardly anyone spoke and all people did was watch the tv/listen to the radio.

I just hope 9/11 this year does not bring the same carnage

Moffo.

B

Bomber

I had just put the finishing touches on a presentation for uni which was ready to go at 8:00am the next morning. I was waiting up with a flatmate of mine who was on his computer, and watching Sports Tonight waiting to see if a Bulldogs player had been suspended by the judicary that weekend. Sandra Sully of the Ten Late Night News fame had finished some article about Howard in Washington when the scroll went down the bottom of the screen:

PLANE CRASHES INTO WORLD TRADE CENTRE...DETAILS SOON

After the break, the coverage swtiched to CNN for the next three days. Channel Seven followed by about five minute, Channel Nine followed after the second plane crash, and ABC, god bless their souls, waited for their Humphrey Bogart movie to finish before giving a short update.

By great coincidence my old man was having a drink with Bill Clinton up in Port Douglas where the ex-president was holidaying. He said that around 11:15pm, six Secret Service agents literally picked Clinton up and bundled him into a waiting limo and pissed off to the resort for the next few days.

As for myself, I didn't ever go back to sleep and ended up getting a pass on the presentation - about the state of world affairs since the Gulf War. Hows that for irony!

The general reaction at uni was like Michael Hagan on the weekend - dumbfounded. One smartarse rigged up a speaker and was playing Midnight Oil's 'Short Memory', which put a different spin on events. Every TV in the library was on the news. About three days later, Ansett (remember them?)collapsed.

An old Chinese proverb - may you live in interesting times.

My first post, number 47 at 1:40am:

What a tragedy. I am numb with shock, and as much as we like to beat the Yanks on the sporting field and generally think of them as loud-mouthed idiots, you wouldn't wish this on them - heck, I wouldn't even wish this on the Taliban
Howard is in DC, safe. Acting PM Anderson is considering closing Sydney and Melbourne airports, ableit temporalily.

Bill Clinton is under massive guard in Port Douglas, 44km up the road

Cheers all
Bomber

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well it obvious that I was watching TV at the time... my better half and I were about to turn it off and call it a night when Sandra Sully's Channel 10 news flash hit the screen... I understand that Ch10 broke the news first.

I was absolutely stunned. They were showing footage of one of the towers on fire and saying stuff like it was a bomb... no one was sure. But then they said it was a light aircraft of some sort - everybody was hoping forthis to be anaccident. No one wanted this to be a terrorist attack no matter how sinister it looked.

Several minutes later, there was an explosion and the second tower was on fire. Despite the images, there was still speculation that this was caused by explosions inthe first tower that was sending debris over the road.

Then they showedreplay footage. It was slightly obscured but I could see a plane hitting. This was no accident.

The American commentatorswere seeing it at the same time and asking for replays because they toothought they saw a plane!

As the top of thread shows, a number of us stumbled about in disbelief for the next few hours trying to make sense of it all. The loss of life, the repercussions, the insanity of it all.

The next day I woke to the realisation that the world now had to deal with a terible danger from within and that things were going to get a lot worse before they got better.

O

ozbash

it was the single most horrific thing i have ever seen in my life.
i still think of what was going through peoples minds as they jumped..

will be a very sombre day 11th sept 2002.

Gav-bt

Juniors
It seemed surreal. I was sat at the PC doing some surfing with the TV to my left, I switched over to CNN and sawa plane flying into one of the towers. I remember I had the sound turned off, so I just had the image and no commentary at first. My initial reaction was to think it was an accident.

Dog

Juniors
I remember September 12 as if it was yesterday. I went to bed the night before at 10:45pm (which as I understand was the exact time the plane hit).

I woke on the Wednesday morning right on 6am to the opening beats of Robert Miles' "Children." I remember thinking that it should be news time, but then I heard agonising voices supermimposed over the song.
"Oh my god, there are people jumping out the window and... [explosion] oh my god, oh my god"
3 minutes later, The news bulletin started. I couldn't believe my ears. I was wide awake now. I listened intently for the following few minutes as the bulletin finished and Paddy &amp; Vash started up. Like Denton from an earlier post, they are barely ever serious, but not one joke was cracked. I turned the radio off, still doubting. I ran into mums room, and I remember being shocked that she didn't know, considering she had been up already to take my dad to work.She was asleep when I ran in, and cursed at me and ordered me out, so I took the next course of action and turned on the TV and turned on the volume. Seeing the image of the fiery tower then it's collapse twisted my gut in three. The following hours were sombre. We all went begrudgingly to school, worried at what could happen. Some had Nostradamus books out that foresaw this event, others were excited at the thought of war, but most were in shock. I remember our science class before lunch was relocated to a shabby room. I got my pocket radio out (I'm a nerd I know) and flipped it on. The teacher saw it, and turned the volume right up. For the following 50 minutes we sat in awe listening to the radio broadcast. The jokers, the sluts (excuse the langugae), the loudmouths, the nerds, the teachers, were all silenced. It was amazing.
And it's still clear in my mind. We said life would never be the same- and it isn't. Our lives have all changed.

Dog

imported_kier

Juniors
I had finished teaching for the day and walked into the staffroom at 3.30pm GMT Only a few members of staff were in the room but they were all glued to the TV in the corner.

We all watched and the crowd got bigger - I saw the towers fall live on TV.

To be honest I couldn't quite take it all in. I was also worried as my wife was away in Italy and was meant to be flying the next morning - no-one had ant rael idea about what could happen and how far it might all escalate.

My next panic was about my best friend - an American who lives in NJ but works for Accenture in NY - and who takes the subway to the Twin Towers station each day and would walk between the towers to his office.

I sat in my flat watching the TV drinkingseveral bottles of wine - waiting for a call from my wife and trying to call NJ for news...........the lines were down.

My brother and a friend both called and kept me company as I waited for news - I heard from my wife - who was desperate for news as she didn't speak italian and could only see pictures of what was happening...........and then after 5 hours of waiting I heard the news that my friend hadn't gone to work in NY that day.

A bizarre day - that doesn't quite seem real when I remember it.

L

legend

One day out from the first anniversary of the September 11 tragedy, I thought a few people may want to have a read of a great but sometimes heated, insightful discussion.

B

Bomber

Okay, I'll take the lead.

This isn't really on the topic, but I need to get it off my chest anyway. Some may find comments below offensive.

I'm already sick and tired, nay nauesated, at the blanket media coverage that this event is covering. Tomorrow night I intend turning off the TV and playing my entire CD collection with every knob on eleven, as although I agree it is a terrible occasion, and should be commerated as such, the media's coverage is going waaaaay over the top and giving me the craps big time. Lets take a few examples - the Today Show did virtually the whole show from NY, with recorded footage from that stooge Steve Liebmann. (I though 8:00am Australia was 6:00pm in New York? Surely it would have been getting dark, not high noon?). ABC intends doing a five-hour 7:30 Report live from NY. Ten has already shown a stack of documentaries and Seven has that bloody Frog film of the first plane hitting the tower. When is too much too much? Even bloody late night ABC (the best sleeping pill going around) is doing saturation coverage. All I want is the bloody 25-question quiz!

Personally I don't need the fifteen hundred 'human interest' stories. I don't need the unseen, never-before-released footage. I know what happened. I saw it. Fair enough that we drag all this out and have a big cry this year, but if this is going to happen each and every year afterwards, then the world/media needs to take a big collective cold shower. Besides which, what exactly happened on November 9? All I've been seeing is 9/11, 9/11, 9 ****ing 11, which is November 9, not September 11! Perhaps thats a bit too harsh.

I'm sorry if this offends a few of you, but the world is bigger than New York, and there are 364 other days in the year.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I agree with ya Bomber. Its hard not to be cynical.

The tragedy that was September 11th has been commercialised beyond belief.
The networks have had a whole year to get this ready and the lead up to tommorrow's 'anniversary' has been enough to show me that there are plenty of people cashing in.

I expect that next week someone will be releasing the book shortly followed by the movie.... ofcourse, the critics will say the book was better.

I hope they don't do this every year. I guess we can have some reflection on the events of one year ago... but surely after that, its time to move on.

There is a long history of tragedy/scum being glorified

Titanic

World War II

Vietnam

Numerous Earthquakes

Chopper

Hitler Movies

Ill probably watch after saying all that. I mean, its a fascinating story with so many angles to look at. Sort of like the Titanic story. But i also agree with Bomber, the saturation coverage is pathetic. It has been glorified now, and the true meaning that the US (and the world for that matter) should've learnt has been ignored. I also hope im not being offensive when i say that the US learnt nothing from the 11th of Sept last year. If nothing else, they should've learnt to take a look at themselves and realise that they aren't the world authorities on everything.

Moffo