What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plane Crashes Into World Trade Centre

L

legend

Mud, you always put it so eloquently. You said in one line what I was trying to say in several long winded paragraphs.

C

CanadianSteve

Feral Dragon: "...no more horrific than what the American gov't ...have been doing " What a stupid, ignorant comment. Nothing the US has done remotely justifies this type of cowardly terrorism. Yes they have done some heavy-handed things in the world, but always with a reason like fighting Communism or supporting Israel. They have done far more good in the world than harm.

L

legend

2-300 firefighters have died so far. Approx 800 dead at the pentagon and another 2-300 passengers from the ill-fated flights. Still no word on the WTC victims yet.

Reports are coming through that a truck was found full of explosives on the GW(George Washington) bridge which connects Manhattan and Brooklyn(I think).

E

Eelectric

No point in wasting words, I'm with mud & legend, nuke the bastards once and for all

imported____

Juniors
Canadian Steve, you are the ignorant one. I have had relatives killed by airstrikes launched by America, they weren't part of the military, they didn't support the governing party that the US was disputing with, they were just normal civilians going about their daily business when missiles ripped through their town.

I am not justifying the actions of Osama Bin Ladin, or whoever else was responsible for this tragedy. It is unjustifiable, but to say that America's crimes against other countries was justifiable is hypocrisy. I have been watching and listening to the media all day and they describe the terrorists as evil, callous people, which they are but why ask why? It is bloody obvious why. The only question to ask is what will come of this? The US can't do nothing but to escallate the trouble could lead to far worse repercussions.

L

legend

I have to disagree with your last paragraph _______. If the U.S sits back and does nothing the repercussions will be much greater had they acted swiftly. People will view the U.S as a soft target and your lifestyle and mine in their current form, will be over. The U.S would be a contsant target and the people would revolt and you would see a vigilante uprising and factions waging their own personal wars if nothing is done now. To say the repercussions will be far greater if the U.S act is very naive.

Mate,i'll leave you with one catchcry, "it's better to die on your feet than to live on your knees". I think that statement applies to about 350 millionAmericans and this Australian.

T

tigger

I would like to ask what you guys think the chances of this starting something huge. If the USA retaliates (lets just say to Afghanistan), will other countries step in.......
As per the above NBC report, Afghanistan has links with Pakistan & Iran, both Muslim countries...... Pakistan have Nuclear Capabilities now!
Could other countries look at this like Japan did in WW2?
China are unpredictable & could see thisas a chance to expand.....
Indonesia could try to take over Australia (something i have been expecting in the next 20 years anyway)......
Whilst i would like Australia to defend itself, i am not sure that jumping on the US's tailcoat is the best strategy, maybe a wait & see policy should be in force? I am sure theAmericans would rather Australian casualties rather than their own.....

imported____

Juniors
Legend, I said the US can't do nothing, as in it would be unwise to just sit around, as in they cannot allow criminals to get away with such a heinous crime. It is what they do that concerns me. The US will most definitely do something. If the US retaliate by bombing Afghanistan or putting sanctions on Afghanistan the hatred that already burns in many will be fuelled even more. They have to work on their diplomatic ties, they have to work with the governments to ensure that the powers that organised this are brought to justice. They cannot make a war out of it or it could lead to far greater destruction than the world has ever seen.

TheSaint

Juniors
In the name of fighting Communism, they armed oppressive regimes in Cambodia and Afganistan. Then there was the Carpet Bombing in Vietnam, the use of Agent Orange. The Gulf War was another example of the willfull destruction of civilian settlements.

This still doesn not justify the attack. They attacked Civilians for the most part and not the military. We still don't know who did this, so it's no use going in and Nuking people who may not have been responsible.

C

CanadianSteve

_ You are justifying the terrorism by saying the US brought it on themselves. There is a difference in motive between US actions and this cowardly terrorism.

TheSaint

Juniors
I think it would be difficult for Iran and Afganistan to fight along side each other. They are from two diiferent sects of Islam and absolutly hate each other. They could Unite in a common cause, but rifts would a constant hinderance.

imported____

Juniors
Canadian Steve, can you please read my post...........now read it again..............now tell me where exactly I have justified the killing of innocent people? It isn't justified because it unjustifiable, there is absolutely no reason in my mind why anyone should kill an innocent person.

However, you seem to see things differently, you seem to think it is quite alright to kill an innocent person if you have good intentions and you come from the US, God forbid your skin should be another colour or else all your motives would be assumed to be of evil origins and killing other people would suddenly be unjustifiable.

L

legend

I disagree Tigger. If these people smell a weakness they will be in for the kill. Hesitation is fear to them. This will develop into something huge. Of that I am sure. We have a standing army to match that of Indonesia and we are much better equipped. IMHO, this is no time to sit on the fence. A line has been drawn and we are on Americas side, thanks to John Howard and of that I am eternally greatful.The problem countries like Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan face is the trouble and uncertainty over their borders. Iran and Iraq hate each other and if Pakistan were to engage, India would seize the Kashmir region which is prized by both sides and all countries combined could not hold off an alliance of the U.S, U.K, France, Canada, N.Z, Australia and any other country I have failed to mention. The other telling factor is the inability of Russia to fund any of these countries. Their position is parlous compared to the heady days of the cold war.

G@v

Juniors
Knee jerk reactions will just escalate the problem. Hitting civilian targets would make the US as much of a terrorist as those who perpertrated this act of babarity. Terrorist groups thrive on counter strikes, more will join their ranks if this happens. That is the nature of terrorism! We have had to be alert in the UK and some parts of Europe for years with the IRA, ETA and also with middle eastern groups. We just haven't seen the scale of terrorism that happened yesterday.

There are probably little cellsor groups in many western countries who would love to have carried out yesterdays tragedy, and chances are that many would be non-muslim.

Mankind would have done these vile acts in the middle ages or at any time in history had the ways and means been there. Terrorism isn't something that just happened yesterday!

E

Eelectric

Yes, the US has supplied armsto gorilla groups fighting oppression but they didn't organise those groups, they were already there and already fighting.Even so they never hijacked innocent commercial planes with the intent of killing 10's of thousands of innocents in attacks on non military targets without warning. In the Gulf andVietnam etc they made their intentions clear first and provided opportunity for those Govt's to avoid the conflict.

This is terrorism pure and simple, it is a surpriseattack with no warning not only on the targets themselves but on thepopulation as a whole. It is designed to make people live in fear of not knowing when or where the next attack will come from. It was done anonymously and it should not be confused with war or politics. These f**kers are sick and my hope is the all countries will combine in an effort to seek out and eliminate these bastardswherever they are.Each country should combine to hunt down and exterminate all known groups once and for all.

Sorry for the rant......

L

legend

Mate, if you want to rant, go right ahead. This has rocked the Western world to its very foundations and I do not believe it is a time for political bargaining. It's time for might and power(not the horse) and a show of brute force. If only I could see one week down the track.

C

CanadianSteve

Thank you Eelectric for explaining the difference between US actions (and certainly they have made mistakes) and the pure evil of these terrorist attacks.

Ramit54

Juniors
May the government of the United States hunt down the Bin Laden fanatics or whoever is involved and destroy them.
Retread

Latest posts