What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

Perth Red

Post Whore
This may sound like a stupid question....

But would the NRL be able to borrow shitloads of money and create its own stadium it can cater to its own game.

Where they become the owners of the stadium.... And also get a tangible asset out of it.

I look at some nfl and football stadiums and think surely if the cowboys can get that massive stadium done in Arlington surely the NRL could do something.

Then they can lease it out to other codes to recoup the money but always give a priority to rugby league.

Returns probably wouldn't be big enough to be viable on own, however:

State Govt donates land and chips in $50mill
Feds chip in $25mill
ARL put in $100mill
Private investment puts in $100mill

That would probably make it a viable proposition over a 35year project life for a $250-300mill stadium like AAMI with 4 anchor tennants and in a good location for concerts etc

Most investments of $200mill+ you'd be looking for around a 6-11% annual return on min so the stadium would need to generate around $20mill+ a year plus running plus depreciation etc. 50 odd games of NRL and Soccer at $100k a game rental is only $5mill a year, throw in naming rights, food and beer sales, sponsorships, corporate sales etc and it might get up around the $10mill a year. All very rough guesstimates of course.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBQcHSqtBU

Can't believe that they have earmarked the showgrounds for another upgrade in capacity to 40k according to this video, although it does say 25k seated so whats the go there??

Certainly overkill with the number of AFL ready stadiums in this city

If this all gets the go ahead then very good but I would still prefer a dedicated new build stadium for rugby league and soccer. Currently it looks like a piece meal solution with the meagre upgrade in capacity of parra with no indication of a timeline for the future stages

The NRL should send a fact finding mission to Germany as the stadiums there post 2006 world cup are fantastic.

big hit!

Bench
The NRL should send a fact finding mission to Germany as the stadiums there post 2006 world cup are fantastic.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_menu/tournaments/worldcup2006.shtml
apart from Berlin and Nuremberg which have the athletics track, and Hanover with extremely shallow pitch, the rest are quality rectangular stadiums.

5 or 6 of them were built specifically for the tournament, and others got a refurb.

the zentralstadion is a smaller scale Sydney Olympic Stadium - in rectangular form.

check out the proximity of seats to the arena
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/germany/sachsen/leipzig_zentral.shtml

Last edited:

GAZF

First Grade
Can't believe that they have earmarked the showgrounds for another upgrade in capacity to 40k according to this video, although it does say 25k seated so whats the go there??

Could be the current capacity for concerts.

One thing I was impressed by in the plan was the big screens outside of the ground. Went to the MetLife Stadium in NY last year and the big screens showing highlights and interviews before the game really increased the buzz in the crowd as the milled around before the game.

A massive HD replay screen hanging over the ground ala Cowboys Stadium would go down a treat as well :)

ANZ should not accommodate AFL and cricket, should have a 3g pitch there with a permanent roof on, obviously a rectangular seating arrangement too.

Big Sam

First Grade
does anyone have the number of oval sports played there each year?

4 BBL matches, 1 T20I, and 3 fumbleball matches. In the last 12 months among those matches, only the VFL prelim drew over 50k.

The SCG with its upgrade to 50k will be more than adequate for major fumbleball and cricket matches.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
4 BBL matches, 1 T20I, and 3 fumbleball matches. In the last 12 months among those matches, only the VFL prelim drew over 50k.

The SCG with its upgrade to 50k will be more than adequate for major fumbleball and cricket matches.

So all the oval games could be played at one of the other two oval grounds, while league aha upwards of 30 games a year there. Well f**k me if I get the logic.

macnaz

Staff member
Official NRL promotion of the first game played under the new roof will cut to "O.M.G " with a heli view from above zooming down onto Jed Bogan and Ferguson sitting up there drinking breezers ;).

Latest posts