What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
personally this is the best rectangular stadium I've ever been too. only one that trumps Suncorp. Reliant stadium in Houston Texas

would be great if they bulldozed ANZ and built this. with maybe an extra 10,000 capacity. current capacity is around 72,000 I believe.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 21

NrlCoach

Juniors
The ARLC/NRL should of tolled the gov to f**k of with their plan regarding ANZ. they should be geting the gov to build us a Western Sydney stadium and then we can talk about your ANZ plan. A roof is not going make NRL Fan more excited to attend that oval shaped shit stadium. NRL fan want a proper rectangular stadium in the West. This roof benefits cricket more who are already geting the SCG upgraded by the gov :crazy: Get your shit together ARLC/NRL you useless powerpoint presenting merkins

beave

Coach
585640-anz-stadium.jpg

Have a look at the gap between the dead ball line and the northern and southern stands.

f**king ridiculous

some11

Referee
Well it was built purely for the Olympics track and field events with capacity being the #1 priority.

Closeness and viewing angle for rectangular events? pfft.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
personally this is the best rectangular stadium I've ever been too. only one that trumps Suncorp. Reliant stadium in Houston Texas

would be great if they bulldozed ANZ and built this. with maybe an extra 10,000 capacity. current capacity is around 72,000 I believe.

I only got to see it half full during a smallish college game, but the best stadium i have ever been in is Lucas Oil Stadium.

But your right, bulldoze that thing and do an american style stadium.

I disagree about the capacity though, mid 60s would be enough.

Well it was built purely for the Olympics track and field events with capacity being the #1 priority.

Closeness and viewing angle for rectangular events? pfft.

It wasn't.

The whole idea from the very start was a multi purpose stadium that would house RL , RU , Soccer , Cricket & AFL.

some11

Referee
The whole idea from the very start was a multi purpose stadium that would house RL , RU , Soccer , Cricket & AFL.

Nope

http://www.brookfieldmultiplex.com/...rism_and_leisure/completed/stadium_australia/

The Olympic stadium was initially completed in March 1999 at a cost of $690 million and was used as host stadium for the 2000 Summer Olympics. It was originally built to hold 110,000 spectators, making it the largest Olympic Stadium ever built and the largest stadium in Australia.

However, after the conclusion of the games, the stadium required reconfiguration in order to make it more functional for a variety of popular sporting events including Rugby and other sports requiring the use of an oval field, such as cricket and Australian Rules football.

Brookfield Multiplex undertook the reconfiguration in 2001, which included the shortening of the north and south wings and the introduction of an athletics track and a movable seating section. Awnings were also added over the north and south stands, offering patrons under cover seating.

These changes reduced the stadium’s capacity from 110,000 to 83,500 for a rectangular field and 81,500 for an oval field. The new multi-sport field meant that 54 per cent of all seats were at least 15 metres closer to the field.

Brookfield Multiplex engineered the stadium to comply with sustainable design principles, including the reduced use of steel materials in the roof structure in comparison to other Olympic stadiums.

The reconfiguration was performed at a total cost of $80 million, leaving Stadium Australia as the second largest stadium in Australia, after the Melbourne Cricket Ground. The reconfiguration work was completed by Brookfield Multiplex in October 2003, in time for the 2003 Rugby World Cup where the stadium hosted the opening game.

Sorry but it was.

I have a copy of the original prospectus for gold members.

In it , it has a letter from Ross Oakley ( then CEO of the AFL) dated 2 sept , 1996.

In the letter Oakley clearly outlines how stadium Australia approached the AFL to play games there.

He also talks about the retractable seating in that letter.

In other words , the reconfiguration was planned from a very early stage.

big hit!

Bench
waste of money.

shit ground will always be shit.

doesn't matter how you dress it up with statements of moving seats forward, the bulk of seats can't be moved and this is the problem. built to accommodate an athletics track, the core of the east and west grandstands are set too far back and sightlines are terrible.

only nuffies think a roof will improve anything.

beave

Coach
54% of the seats were improved??

Which f**king ones??? The lower western terrace can roll in but other than that, I am pretty sure none of the other seats were shifted/adjusted since the olympics finished........... I fail to see how that is 50%

54% of the seats were improved??

Which f**king ones??? The lower western terrace can roll in but other than that, I am pretty sure none of the other seats were shifted/adjusted since the olympics finished........... I fail to see how that is 50%

My guess is they're including the ends , which prior to the reconfiguration were not covered.

Game_Breaker

Coach
The fake stadium that shows up in the Fox intro to a RL game is pretty awesome.

Does anyone know if that based on any stadium from around the world?

beave

Coach
My guess is they're including the ends , which prior to the reconfiguration were not covered.

I probably didnt quote the article well enough, my bad mate. It says 54% of the seats were moved closer by at least 15m. That has to be a load of BS??? Thats over 40k seats.

Game_Breaker

Coach
waste of money.

shit ground will always be shit.

doesn't matter how you dress it up with statements of moving seats forward, the bulk of seats can't be moved and this is the problem. built to accommodate an athletics track, the core of the east and west grandstands are set too far back and sightlines are terrible.

only nuffies think a roof will improve anything.

The stands are simply not steep enough.

If they rip up all the seats it might be possible to change the viewing angle by pouring concrete to the rear end of the stands, thus making the seats sit higher up.

I don't know how feasible this is from an engineering point of view, probably unlikely.

Stormwarrior

Juniors
The NRL shouldn't commit to anything until afl and cricket have been told to leave the negotiating table. They can't commit $250 mil to the stadium if their biggest tenant isn't happy with it being oval. Grow some balls NRL!

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL shouldn't commit to anything until afl and cricket have been told to leave the negotiating table. They can't commit $250 mil to the stadium if their biggest tenant isn't happy with it being oval. Grow some balls NRL!

NRL shouldn't be using it at all apart from the odd blockbuster and finals/SOO. Even with a roof and closer seats playing games in stadiums with 60'000 empty seats is going to be shite. Anz will never be a good stadium for club games, full stop.

some11

Referee

Absolutely.