What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

NRL shouldn't be using it at all apart from the odd blockbuster and finals/SOO. Even with a roof and closer seats playing games in stadiums with 60'000 empty seats is going to be shite. Anz will never be a good stadium for club games, full stop.

A roof would make it a very financially viable stadium.

Clubs need to make money and a fully enclosed stadium would see gate takings go up.

Brutus

Referee
Never heard of F1, Oz open, Oz masters, spring carnival or the Boxing day test?

Wow. You get a cricket test match...just every other city in australia during the summer.

Wow. You have horse racing and car racing too. Just wow.

open up a melbourne paper or watch the sports news and you'll see that melb is nothing more than the fumbleball capital of the world.

GAZF

First Grade
The stands are simply not steep enough.

If they rip up all the seats it might be possible to change the viewing angle by pouring concrete to the rear end of the stands, thus making the seats sit higher up.

I don't know how feasible this is from an engineering point of view, probably unlikely.

Pretty sure the level 1 stands aren't concrete but I get the idea. I'd like the idea of making the level 1 stands steeper and taller and shifting some facilities to the void behind the stand (where there is no view of the ground). Ideally you'd have the stands closer to the ground as well but it seems this won't be the case.

big hit!

Bench
The story in the SMH about the Parra upgrade suggests that the Eels may move from Parra Stadium http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...adium-upgrade-falls-short-20130702-2p9uy.html

I'd assume ANZ is on the cards?

Pathetic. What difference is 3000 seats going to make?

Upgrading capacity to 30k should've been the priority, not an Eels training centre.

30k and the facility is viable as usable Western Sydney facility all year round for both NRL & A-league................a community asset.

Instead, the Eels wanted public funding for their club's own use and f**ked it all up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
A roof would make it a very financially viable stadium.

Clubs need to make money and a fully enclosed stadium would see gate takings go up.

Why would it? I don't see a roof making much diference. Big events draw big crowds regardless and for small events ie club games fans don't like the stadium as it is too big, 20k rattle around in it and the atmosphere created equals the moon. How does a roof change things? You might get a couple of thousand more when its raining but that's about the only benefit. It is simply not a good stadium for anything under 30k attendance, on TV makes the game look like some park footy that no one wants to watch and fans dislike it. We need an NRL plan that will deliver a modern 30-35k with decent stands and roofs stadium and now before we get sucked into ANZ as the only option for NRL clubs in Western Sydney.

Mr Saab

Referee
Millions of dollars for an extra 6000 seats? Sounds like when the govt build motorways and then upgrade them later. Do it properly and make it 30k

BunniesMan

Immortal
If the roof does happen you can kiss goodbye to any chance of a new stadium in our lifetime.

And as a taxpayer I think that is a good thing. A decade from now 4 teams will be using ANZ as their primary home ground. ANZ is at the heart of Sydneys sporting future for the next 100 years.

Why would it? I don't see a roof making much diference. Big events draw big crowds regardless and for small events ie club games fans don't like the stadium as it is too big, 20k rattle around in it and the atmosphere created equals the moon. How does a roof change things? You might get a couple of thousand more when its raining but that's about the only benefit. It is simply not a good stadium for anything under 30k attendance, on TV makes the game look like some park footy that no one wants to watch and fans dislike it. We need an NRL plan that will deliver a modern 30-35k with decent stands and roofs stadium and now before we get sucked into ANZ as the only option for NRL clubs in Western Sydney.

Sydney clubs are struggling financially.

A roof means higher gate takings.

look at last friday night for instance. 16K in pouring rain.

You could have easily expected another 5K-7.5K in a fully enclosed stadium.

thats money in the bank ffs.

The period of march to june is the wettest in sydney. Those 4 months account for about 45% of our annual rainfall.

Now , that said in a perfect world we would get a brand new , 50K stadium with a retractable roof.

Thats what i'd prefer for sure.

But if thats not going to happen , a roof over ANZ stadium will help the clubs enormously.

Lastly , your idea of a 30-35K seat stadium is just not big enough.

It would need to be 50K at least to take into account future growth and derbies.

Also the idea that a roof over ANZ would only add 2K to the crowd is laughable. Wet weather has a much greater impact than that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sydney clubs are struggling financially.

A roof means higher gate takings.

look at last friday night for instance. 16K in pouring rain.

You could have easily expected another 5K-7.5K in a fully enclosed stadium.

thats money in the bank ffs.

The period of march to june is the wettest in sydney. Those 4 months account for about 45% of our annual rainfall.

Now , that said in a perfect world we would get a brand new , 50K stadium with a retractable roof.

Thats what i'd prefer for sure.

But if thats not going to happen , a roof over ANZ stadium will help the clubs enormously.

Lastly , your idea of a 30-35K seat stadium is just not big enough.

It would need to be 50K at least to take into account future growth and derbies.

Also the idea that a roof over ANZ would only add 2K to the crowd is laughable. Wet weather has a much greater impact than that.

you'd get the same effect, and more, by building a decent 30k stadium with proper cover for the seats. The better atmosphere would encourage more peopel to attend and the game wouldn't look like no one cared about it on TV. If your going to spend $250mill a decent rectangular stadium would be a better outcome for NRL clubs than a roof on ANZ.

you'd get the same effect, and more, by building a decent 30k stadium with proper cover for the seats. The better atmosphere would encourage more peopel to attend and the game wouldn't look like no one cared about it on TV. If your going to spend $250mill a decent rectangular stadium would be a better outcome for NRL clubs than a roof on ANZ.

Mate , 30K is not enough.

We have to be shooting higher than that. 50K with an upper and lower bowl.

Make the upper bowl the smaller (20k) and only open it for big games.

But I agree , A new stadium would be the best thing of all. But it has to have a retractable roof. Sydney gets huge amounts of rain for at least four months of the footy season , it can also be quite windy.

A roof that covers all the seats will never fully do the job.

A retractable roof stadium can also be somewhat climate controlled.

big hit!

Bench
If the roof does happen you can kiss goodbye to any chance of a new stadium in our lifetime.

And as a taxpayer I think that is a good thing. A decade from now 4 teams will be using ANZ as their primary home ground. ANZ is at the heart of Sydneys sporting future for the next 100 years.

so pumping more money into a flawed stadium for the next century rather than designing and building a stadium specific to the needs of the metropolitan is a good thing for taxpayers?

that's like a car maker needing to make continual amendments to a model because of mechanical and design flaws, instead of pulling the pin and doing it again. sounds like a very efficient use of funds.

The stadium was built with the primary objective of cramming 110k around an athletics configuration. The main grandstands were built to accommodate athletics and it's where they'll remain for the next 100 years unless the it's torn down and designed as a purpose built rectangular facility.

For all the dopey jibes QLDers cop, they managed to build a facility that ticks the box.

shiznit

Coach
This may sound like a stupid question....

But would the NRL be able to borrow shitloads of money and create its own stadium it can cater to its own game.

Where they become the owners of the stadium.... And also get a tangible asset out of it.

I look at some nfl and football stadiums and think surely if the cowboys can get that massive stadium done in Arlington surely the NRL could do something.

Then they can lease it out to other codes to recoup the money but always give a priority to rugby league.

some11

Referee
A post worthy of it's own thread shiznit, sounds like something the future fund could be used for.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate , 30K is not enough.

We have to be shooting higher than that. 50K with an upper and lower bowl.

Make the upper bowl the smaller (20k) and only open it for big games.

But I agree , A new stadium would be the best thing of all. But it has to have a retractable roof. Sydney gets huge amounts of rain for at least four months of the footy season , it can also be quite windy.

A roof that covers all the seats will never fully do the job.

A retractable roof stadium can also be somewhat climate controlled.

30-35k would be ideal for majority of club games for the next 20 +years. The occasional 30k+ games we get can be played at ANZ or Allianz. What Sydney is lacking is a high quality mid sized stadium. We don't need a 50k stadium with 17k fans rattling around in it like we saw at the Roosters game on Monday night. I'd rather we were in a situation in 20 years where you had to be a member to guarantee that you could get a seat at every home game than still having oversized stadiums that look terrible 2/3rds empty.

re shelter from elements, if they can build stadiums throughout Northern Europe without enclosed roofs but that keep you dry I am sure they can manage one in Sydney!

fourplay

Juniors
Knock it down and build a Millenium Stadium there..

MilleniumStadium_18.jpg

millenium-stadium-project.JPG