What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plans for ANZ Stadium roof

Brutus

Referee
envy of the sporting world? Please! have they seen some of the recent stadiums built around the globe? Sticky plastering a stadium that is not well designed for rectangular sports or inclement weather will not make it the envy of the world!

Whilst I do hope the plans go ahead, I tend to agree that it is still not designed well for rectangular ground sports.

Have a look at the angle of the stands around the ground - they need to more vertical to suit the rectangular code.

That Ellis Park in South Africa is the perfect high capacity (65k plus) rectangular ground.

Evenflow

Bench
envy of the sporting world?

:lol: I had a bit of a laff at that one myself. While i'm sure the roof will be a great addition, by and large i still think it'll be just an average stadium. While i think it might help with crowds especially with the novelty factor at first, i don't suspect it'll have any great impact in the longer term and won't increase crowd numbers on a large scale.

Besides the bottom tier and the roof the stadium will still be the same stadium built in the same place and IMO that'll still be enough to keep more people away than attend. I'm sure some will disagree there and that's fine, it's just my opinion and i'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong.

As for the new 40,000 seat stadium they're talking about. BRING IT!

elbusto

Coach
I cannot see anyting wrong with any of this news at all. As a Tigers fan its actually fantastic news!

chrisc101

Juniors
FINALLY 30 years later we will get the stadium we should of got after the Olympics if it wasn't for the AFL and cricket f...ing it up!!

Evenflow

Bench
As would some more bars and restaurants in Olympic Park.

Currently for Bars there is what, the HB Brewery and thats it?

And restaurants its either McDonalds, Subway or Muffin Break...

While i totally agree with that and IMO those things would get more people to games as they could make more of a day/night of it, given the location of the ground and the precinct itself is in sh*t creek so to speak i think any business's like that would have real trouble being sustainable when there's no games on and also in the off season. Where would the people come from to keep them afloat besides these peak times?

aussies1st

Staff member
I'm surprised they didn't think of this with their redevelopment plan post Olympics. Looks good with the roof though, and its about time the seats were moved in for the rectangle codes.

jono

Juniors
How will they cool the stadium for spectators? Looks like one big greenhouse.

That was my exact first thought.
How do you air-condition such a massive area?
There is not a lot of flow through air at ground level , and glass/plastic/perspex will only increase the sweat effect.

Good in theory and the heart is in the right place, but seems like a lot of logistical difficulties.

MIght be a good environment for some happy-weed cultivation to sell at outlets throughout the arena for extra revenue!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FINALLY 30 years later we will get the stadium we should of got after the Olympics if it wasn't for the AFL and cricket f...ing it up!!

30 years? :?

The stadium opened in 1999 and any works would need to be ready by either 2017 or 2021...

m0nty

Juniors
It's about time Sydney cottoned on to the value of roofing on stadia. Especially given that Sydney these days is more of a bad weather city than any of the southern coast capitals.

Having said that, there is a touch of ambit about the claims in the article. The artist's impression uses a fair bit of artistic license. There is no way all those glass panes can be supported without a lot of buttressing. Either way, there would be a rather unattractive latticework shadow effect on the pitch during daylight from the struts between the panes. I'm not sure why glass is needed anyway.

Moving entire stands in and out is a very costly process to the Docklands people and I'd imagine it would be no different for Homebush. Also, moving the stands in pretty much ruins the non-rectangular parts of the pitch for a while, so it would be a big task in winter when the stands (presumably) get moved in and out multiple times per month for Swans/GWS games in between other sports.

Other than that, it's a long-overdue innovation. Probably more suited to the SFS, actually.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Or they could permanently move it in and tell the AFL and CA to f**k off :)

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The artist obviously isn't an engineer. I don't think the existing trusses are designed for the extra load. Is the roofing material supported on cables?
How will they cool the stadium for spectators? Looks like one big greenhouse.
Air-conditioner? :sarcasm:

Y2Eel

First Grade
As would some more bars and restaurants in Olympic Park.

Currently for Bars there is what, the HB Brewery and thats it?

And restaurants its either McDonalds, Subway or Muffin Break...

You need to go to olympic park again....

There are a few more places to eat there now.. There is ribs and rumps a few cafes and little shops where the comm bank has setup facing the train station...

Evenflow

Bench
Moving entire stands in and out is a very costly process to the Docklands people and I'd imagine it would be no different for Homebush. Also, moving the stands in pretty much ruins the non-rectangular parts of the pitch for a while, so it would be a big task in winter when the stands (presumably) get moved in and out multiple times per month for Swans/GWS games in between other sports.

You make a good point there. One of the big selling points of the then docklands stadium was the fact that it has retractable seating to make the ground rectangular yet you could probably count on one hand how many times they've moved them in.

As you mentioned it's a very expensive and damaging to the turf which has to be re-laid in parts when they move them forward and you can only guess they'd use exactly the same process and would have the same cost/damage issues at Homebush. That being the case i wouldn't expect them to be moved in very often at all for our games especially given there'll be fairly regular AFL games there as well.

brooksy19

Bench
^ Still its not exactly a hub of activity after or before the event.

If they had a direct line from Straithfield. i.e not having to change again at Lidcombe? (Sorry I'm from the Central Coast) it would make taking a train a more attractive option. Also if there were a couple of decent bars i.e not the $5.00 plastic cup @ the brewery, it would make going to th game a better option than staying home.

Latest posts